PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup in Vancouver - real fans were ashamed

Catty1
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I can't believe this either. :(

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/stanley-cup-showdown-between-canucks-bruins-nets-record-182208541.html

Excerpt

VANCOUVER - Parts of downtown Vancouver erupted in flames, explosive booms thundered through the air and looters smashed windows and ran amok inside department stores Wednesday after the city's Stanley Cup run ended in bitter defeat.

sasvermont
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
It would seem to me that the police and merchants should have expected this as history has it that it happened once before... At least one merchant boarded up his store, and I don't know why they all didn't do the same. They should have had cops on the scene BEFORE it became a problem. I think they may have learned their lesson this time.

It is such a shame it played out this way. I trust everyone had insurance... since they were in business.

The image factor isn't playing to the city's favor, that's for sure.

Oh well. Life goes on.

The better team did win.

moosmom
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
It only takes one or two bad apples to ruin things. I have a feeling the majority of people who did the damage were a bunch of drunken morons. I've been to hockey games before. Hockey fans like the "blood" of the sport. They drool over fights that erupt.

I also have a feeling that Vancouver is embarassed the whole thing.

Lady's Human
06-16-2011, 06:45 PM
It only takes one or two bad apples to ruin things. I have a feeling the majority of people who did the damage were a bunch of drunken morons. I've been to hockey games before. Hockey fans like the "blood" of the sport. They drool over fights that erupt.

Entschuldigen sie bitte?

Broad brush. Please put it down and back away slowly.

But what the heck, you're just a woman, women will never understand sports, anyway.

Catty1
06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Thousands stream into Vancouver to clean up after riot

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Thousands+stream+into+Vancouver+clean+after+riot/4958518/story.html#ixzz1PUPAQAIM

Excerpt:

VANCOUVER -- On streets scorched by flames, littered with broken glass and studded with the blackened hulls of torched cars, an army of citizens converged Thursday morning to cleanse the wounds and set things right.

An estimated 15,000 people of all ages streamed into the heart of Vancouver as early as 5 a.m. to clean up the bloody footprints, scrub the offensive graffiti, to try to make amends for the damage cause by hooligans and looters after Wednesday night's Stanley Cup loss.

Donna - true fans were shocked and disappointed too. These hooligans are not fans...they are destructive idiots. Real fans wouldn't add this pain to "their team", especially when that team has suffered a loss of the Stanley Cup.

phesina
06-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Oh, God bless all these good people, coming to work so hard to make up for the destruction caused by a bunch of lunatic thugs.

moosmom
06-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Catty1,

You and I both know that alcohol makes people do stupid things.

I never said they were fans. I was using the word "fans" as a generalization. See the quote. I merely said that it takes one or two bad apples to ruin it for everyone else.

Glad people got together to help the businesses recover from this stupid, idiotic tragedy. I hope that the people responsible are made to pay restitution to the people affected by it.

LH,

Entschuldigen sie bitte?

Huh????

wombat2u2004
06-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Huh????

Entschuldigen sie bitte? German for "Excuse me?"

Pinot's Mom
06-17-2011, 07:32 AM
But what the heck, you're just a woman, women will never understand sports, anyway.

Very funny.:rolleyes:

Yes, it was an embarrassment I'm sure, to Vancouver. I have never understood that type of behaviour after sporting events (nor political events, court decisions, or anything else for that matter)...and while I know alcohol usually gets the blame, alcohol only enhances behaviour that is already ingrained. People that start this type of mess have many other issues beyond alcohol.

I drink; I don't set things on fire (well, except that fire pit out back).

It was very unfortunate and embarrassing for a city who has, at least for me, been a very good host. Prayers for everyone involved.

Lady's Human
06-17-2011, 08:12 AM
PM< just answering one ridiculous generalization with another.

sparks19
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

I think the bolded part may be what LH was referring to. No you never said the rioters were fans but you did basically say that everyone who is a hockey fan just a violent moron.

I am a hockey fan. I don't like the BLOOD of the sport. I do like they physical aspect but it's not THE reason I like hockey... nor is it the only reason any other hockey fan I know likes hockey.

We don't drool over fights that erupt. We do cheer for fights but if you don't really understand the sport then you don't really understand why people are cheering. i can tell you it's NOT because of a simple fight... it's usually about what that fight represents. Usually fights represent momentum changers for a struggling team, being a team player and defending your brothers etc etc. We don't cheer because there may be blood (and there RARELY is blood from a fight) but I don't expect non hockey fans to understand. Now of course there ARE people who just like watching fights but thats not the average hockey FAN.

But we aren't all blood thirsty knuckle draggers.

Lady's Human
06-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Sparks,

Ever see 2 goalies throw down? Talk about a pointless fight.... :D

Bonny
06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I have seen Goalies with their front teeth missing.

sparks19
06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Sparks,

of course I have :D Patty was always one of my favs lol

But it still serves it's purpose. when there is a bench clearing brawl sometimes goalies just gotta answer the call of duty. Like one of the Habs vs Bruins games this past season. Thomas and Price had a go and you could tell neither one of them really cared to but sometimes duty calls and you've got to throw down just out of principal lol sometimes you really do EVERYTHING as a team lol

moosmom
06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone. I did NOT mean to insinuate that hockey fans are nothing more than knuckle dragging morons. That was NOT my intention.

I'll leave it at that.

sparks19
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone. I did NOT mean to insinuate that hockey fans are nothing more than knuckle dragging morons. That was NOT my intention.

I'll leave it at that.

Oh Ok cool

Because I just want to be clear that we aren't all like that.... only boston and Philly fans are :)

HAHA I kill me. Just kidding

Nomilynn
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I live in Vancouver, and it was awful for the majority of people who live in our city. According to people who were downtown for the game, rioters came at the end of the third period and started picking fights with people who were drunk. Another rumour is that the first car that was set on fire was planted there for the purpose of rioting. Apparently, these things were put there by the same people that rioted at the Olympics - this is what they do. It's hard to know for sure because of rumours flying all over the internet because with social networking people were posting things as it was all happening.

True fans are still flying their flags on their cars, wearing jerseys. The police did a good job - they are basically damned if they do and damned if they don't because people are now saying that they didn't do enough, but if they had been more aggressive people would have said that they were too violent.

I love where I live. This is a beautiful city and the people of this city are wonderful. Seeing the volunteers coming together in the aftermath is heartwarming. If I hadn't been working, I would have been downtown with them helping cleanup even though I watched the game from home. That is the city I live in and am proud of.

Pinot's Mom
06-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I live in Vancouver, and it was awful for the majority of people who live in our city. According to people who were downtown for the game, rioters came at the end of the third period and started picking fights with people who were drunk. Another rumour is that the first car that was set on fire was planted there for the purpose of rioting. Apparently, these things were put there by the same people that rioted at the Olympics - this is what they do. It's hard to know for sure because of rumours flying all over the internet because with social networking people were posting things as it was all happening.

True fans are still flying their flags on their cars, wearing jerseys. The police did a good job - they are basically damned if they do and damned if they don't because people are now saying that they didn't do enough, but if they had been more aggressive people would have said that they were too violent.

I love where I live. This is a beautiful city and the people of this city are wonderful. Seeing the volunteers coming together in the aftermath is heartwarming. If I hadn't been working, I would have been downtown with them helping cleanup even though I watched the game from home. That is the city I live in and am proud of.

Well put, thank you.

moosmom
06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Nomilynn,

VERY well put!! Glad you're doing well!!

Puckstop31
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Sparks,

I dunno man.... I got into a few tussles in my more competitive playing days. Those could have been called pointless.

But did you get to see the Patrick Roy vs. Mike Vernon fight? Was it 1997? THAT was one for the ages. That Colorado/Detriot rivalry was epic. Good times. GREAT hockey.

LOVE this game. But I also get why it will never really grab hold as a 'top' sport in the US. Its like when I tell people that not only do I play, but that I am a goalie.

"What?!?!?!?!?! Are you CRAZY?" ;)

Puckstop31
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh Ok cool

Because I just want to be clear that we aren't all like that.... only boston and Philly fans are :)

HAHA I kill me. Just kidding

Don't forget Toronto. There are not many fans of the Blue and White who don't have skinned knuckles. :)

I mean, how else do you think THAT team keeps a fan base? LOL

(I must add though, if they treat Reimer right and BUILD, not buy around him.... Toronto's laughing stock days might be in the rear view mirror soon. That kid has the goods, especially between his ears.)

Puckstop31
06-18-2011, 08:39 AM
FWIW, I know Vancouver is better than that. I also think that the "riot", had very little to do with the game, other than the attention the city had because of what happened in 1994. It was, sadly, a target of opportunity for those fine young specimens who (laughably) call themselves "anarchists". Morons.

I am sorry this happened to you, Vancouver.

momcat
06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Excellent post, Nomilynn! Please know that you and the other fine people of Vancouver still have my respect. I've never had the pleasure of visiting your city and enjoying your hospitality but please know my respect for all of you has not diminished. My only hope for all of you is those responsible for this outrage are caught and receive the maximum sentence that Canadian law allows!

To all the Vancouver fans, continue to fly your flags and wear your jerseys with pride. I give tremendous credit to your team for making it to the finals! See you next year!!!!!

Nomilynn
06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
A great article from Canucks TV:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=566199&intcmpid=van-news-cleanup

And a wonderful video that made me have LES <3

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=805&id=118382

smokey the elder
06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I dunno man.... I got into a few tussles in my more competitive playing days. Those could have been called pointless.

But did you get to see the Patrick Roy vs. Mike Vernon fight? Was it 1997? THAT was one for the ages. That Colorado/Detriot rivalry was epic. Good times. GREAT hockey.

LOVE this game. But I also get why it will never really grab hold as a 'top' sport in the US. Its like when I tell people that not only do I play, but that I am a goalie.

"What?!?!?!?!?! Are you CRAZY?" ;)

I would have NEVER guessed you were a goalie....;):D