PDA

View Full Version : Agility Class with Willy June 14 2011

Freedom
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I haven't done a vid of Willy since March. We have made quite a bit of progress. With the nice weather, we are working out in the big field -- wow, do I have to run!!! We have worked up to 18 obstacles. Willy has picked up speed. We've had some rain, none of the dogs have had much outdoor time, and I couldn't fit in a walk today, so Willy had lots of energy for this class.

We ran 2 courses. This is the first course. Our first time on it. I missed a big piece in the middle, oops! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uipuoXbTqHc

Awhile later, we ran the same course, our second time out. I was able to correct my mistakes, so we made it through the entire course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmRVDflb0M

Our final run was on course 2. By now Willy is so revved up, he just takes off, makes it up as he goes along and twice he leaves my lead and takes the wrong obstacle. I do get him back, as you will see. My camera ran out of memory at the very end, so you miss seeing Willy on the teeter. That is OK, he was running much too fast and went sailing off the end. It was on its way down, and he wasn't hurt, then he immediately turned to me, "I get TREATS now, RIGHT?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajn6LUQASg

It is interesting to watch, to see the mistakes I make, where I could have gathered him back, where I slowed him down.

Thanks for watching!

chocolatepuppy
06-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Good job Willy and Sandie! :D

cassiesmom
06-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Yay, Willy and Sandie! :D Willy, please have mom give you a big hug for me!

K9karen
06-14-2011, 10:09 PM
*Whew!* I'm exhausted after watching those videos! You BOTH got tons of excercise! Pretty soon The Wills will have YOU jumping and weaving and give you lots of cheese!!!:D:D:D:p:p

Great job! A gazillion hugs to both of you!

Vette
06-15-2011, 02:46 AM
Hes so cute! i love how he goes through the weave poles on his own near the end.

did it take very long to teach him to jump an go up ramps an was he ever afraid of the equipment for starters?

Freedom
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Willy is a fun dog, that's for sure!

Vette, first off, your dog has to be interested in doing this. I tried Agility 3 years back with Lacey; I loved it, she hated it.

Willy thinks it is all fun, the A frame is his favorite! All this and treats too?! He really enjoys Agility, and gets quite excited, spinning and barking when I tell him, "class!" He is so antsy on the car ride over, and sound asleep on the car ride home, ha haaa.

We started in January. Agility 1 runs 6 weeks, and the dogs are introduced to most of the equipment (no teeter, weaves or dog walk). I think a great deal depends on your instructor. Kathleen is super, she works with each of us one on one at the start. If a dog gets off on the wrong foot, gets frightened, or just starts doing something incorrectly, it can take weeks to fix. So she does it all in tiny steps.

For example, the tunnels collapse. We started the dogs with the tunnel collapsed and closed up tightly. Some dogs had to sniff it all over, first. (LOTS of good smells, because some dogs, mostly the BOYS, feel it necessary to stop and pee in there now and again, ha haaa. Yes, Willy did this at one point, to my embarrassment!). The first times through, it is maybe a foot long, not the competition extended 15 feet we are working now.

She won't teach the teeter indoors, as it makes a loud bang when it hits, and that alone could scare a dog for good re that piece of equipment. (Not only loud, but it would echo in the huge warehouse!) So the teeter is only used in the outdoor setting.

Weave poles are taught in a separate class with TONS of practice homework, because it is the only "unnatural" thing the dogs do. In the wild, a dog may run through a log (tunnel), climb a hill (A frame), jump logs and downed trees. So that needs work.

The dog walk is the only one Willy had a pause with. The first 2 times he ran up and over no trouble. The 3rd time, while he was on the cross board, another dog barked and he stopped, looked down, and froze! We had to use treats to get him off (we could have lifted him off, but Kathleen said no, work it through with him). The next 3 or 4 times he had to do dog walk, he would stop and I'd have to basically lure him up and over w/ tons and tons of treats. All this happened in the space of one 1 hour class, so we got through it pretty quickly.

Hope this answers your question!

robinh
06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
He just looks so pleased with himself! Thanks for sharing the videos. Loved to watch him have a good time. My Kirby is way too lazy to do agility. Cute, but lazy.

Vette
06-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Willy is a fun dog, that's for sure!

Vette, first off, your dog has to be interested in doing this. I tried Agility 3 years back with Lacey; I loved it, she hated it.

Willy thinks it is all fun, the A frame is his favorite! All this and treats too?! He really enjoys Agility, and gets quite excited, spinning and barking when I tell him, "class!" He is so antsy on the car ride over, and sound asleep on the car ride home, ha haaa.

We started in January. Agility 1 runs 6 weeks, and the dogs are introduced to most of the equipment (no teeter, weaves or dog walk). I think a great deal depends on your instructor. Kathleen is super, she works with each of us one on one at the start. If a dog gets off on the wrong foot, gets frightened, or just starts doing something incorrectly, it can take weeks to fix. So she does it all in tiny steps.

For example, the tunnels collapse. We started the dogs with the tunnel collapsed and closed up tightly. Some dogs had to sniff it all over, first. (LOTS of good smells, because some dogs, mostly the BOYS, feel it necessary to stop and pee in there now and again, ha haaa. Yes, Willy did this at one point, to my embarrassment!). The first times through, it is maybe a foot long, not the competition extended 15 feet we are working now.

She won't teach the teeter indoors, as it makes a loud bang when it hits, and that alone could scare a dog for good re that piece of equipment. (Not only loud, but it would echo in the huge warehouse!) So the teeter is only used in the outdoor setting.

Weave poles are taught in a separate class with TONS of practice homework, because it is the only "unnatural" thing the dogs do. In the wild, a dog may run through a log (tunnel), climb a hill (A frame), jump logs and downed trees. So that needs work.

The dog walk is the only one Willy had a pause with. The first 2 times he ran up and over no trouble. The 3rd time, while he was on the cross board, another dog barked and he stopped, looked down, and froze! We had to use treats to get him off (we could have lifted him off, but Kathleen said no, work it through with him). The next 3 or 4 times he had to do dog walk, he would stop and I'd have to basically lure him up and over w/ tons and tons of treats. All this happened in the space of one 1 hour class, so we got through it pretty quickly.

Hope this answers your question!

Thank you for your reply! :D you answered all my next questions i had as well.

ive wondered how Kirby would do in agility cuz he minds me very well. unless there is something most disgusting hes discovered to roll around in. :o he is however very flighty around new stuff an has been known to act lost/nervous in new places. so ive never really gave it much thought with him an agility till ive had all this free time. realitly has hit now though an i think itd be more stressful than fun for him.

glad Willy an you enjoy it though. i dont know who looks like theyre having the most fun. you or him :D youre a great team

Freedom
06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Cute, but lazy.

Isn't that the bichon motto? :D

Glad to reply, Vette, yes I have fun with it as well.

4 Dog Mother
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow, I am totally impressed with both you and Willie. It is hard to tell who is having the better time! I love watching Willie do the weaving poles. That has to be hard to teach - he seems oblivious when he misses one - like what's the big deal - I did most of them! And I have to say you sure are staying in there with him. I would probably be puffing and panting and saying - go do you're own thing, Willie. The videos put a big smile on my face this morning. Can't thank you enough for sharing!

Freedom
06-16-2011, 11:20 AM
He he, tanks Diana.

The real pros stand in the middle of the course and guide the dog around with voice commands and / or hand signals. We handlers aren't supposed to be right up with the dog, ha haaa! In trials, we will be timed for how long it takes Willy to get around the course. He can run faster than me, we just aren't there yet. Glad you enjoyed the vids!