PDA

View Full Version : Fabric for Upholstered Chair?

Freedom
06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Which fabric survives best on upholstered chairs when you have cats, cats and more cats?

Both Dad and I need new recliners, planning to get them at these Father's Day sales.

Well, I know the fabric / cloth / material isn't going to last long.

What about faux leather?

Or microfiber?

I'm thinking the faux leather will survive best. BTW, the store I am looking at, all three are the same price, so that isn't an issue.

jennielynn1970
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Gotta tell ya, I tried the leather stuff for a while, and it was not a pretty site. It was even coated with something to make it stiffer and durable. HA!!! My cats had it looking a site in no time(I'm talking less than a month). I'd say no to the leather, even it isn't real leather.

krazyaboutkatz
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I would buy some kind of a cover for the recliners so that whatever fabric you buy it'll still stay protected underneath. I had to cover my couch and recliner. Good luck.:)

Freedom
06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Well, the cats have worked on the BACKS of these 2 recliners, so I'm not sure how I'd cover that part. :confused:

krazyaboutkatz
06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, the cats have worked on the BACKS of these 2 recliners, so I'm not sure how I'd cover that part. :confused:

I actually meant that when you buy new recliners that you may want to buy some kind of a cover for them to help to keep them protected.

cassiesmom
06-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Milo would be happy to come and work on the back of your new one! :rolleyes: I'd like to find a comfortable chair with a plastic back, like a desk chair has.

moosmom
06-14-2011, 06:02 AM
I'd ask Kimlovescats. She's a whiz when it comes to that kinda stuff!!

Craftlady
06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I recently got new furniture and for several weeks now have been spraying once a day a new item I found at Walmart.

"Scatch Not" it's a citrus (nice smelly) spray. Unlike bitter apple that gets on your hands, your tasting it for hrs. :(

The "Scatch Not" WORKS!!!! Best product I've found. No markings on the furniture.

Medusa
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I had microfiber furniture for a brief period and sold it b/c it's a cat hair magnet. I switched to leather and haven't had a problem. They use their scratching posts so that isn't an issue but cat hair is so, for me, leather was the way to go.

Freedom
06-14-2011, 08:35 AM
I've ordered the chairs, faux leather. Will get that stuff from WalMart. And will get some covers once the chairs arrive (need the measurements).

Thanks everyone!

catmandu
06-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I could use that, but my furrniture is so old.:confused:

smokey the elder
06-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Kevlar?:p Actually, I have leather, and my cats are good about not picking it. They have scratching posts, and a really ratty old chair that is fair game.

Karen
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey, Sandy - that's an idea - if you have the space, keep one of the old recliners for a "okay to scratch" chair!

jennielynn1970
06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I had microfiber furniture for a brief period and sold it b/c it's a cat hair magnet. I switched to leather and haven't had a problem. They use their scratching posts so that isn't an issue but cat hair is so, for me, leather was the way to go.

That's the reason I got mine in the first place... cat hair. But they scratched the heck out of the arms so bad, the stuffing was coming out, and this was PVC coated leather!!! It just was a nightmare.

Maybe the Scratch Not stuff would work better on fabric than leather?? I can see it not soaking in if it's a coated/treated leather.

Freedom
06-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey, Sandy - that's an idea - if you have the space, keep one of the old recliners for a "okay to scratch" chair!

They already have ONE of those plus a sofa, ha ha haa.

Darn spoiled lot, they want the WHOLE HOUSE!

I got inexpensive chairs this time, WalMart on line.

The ones they've ruined are really nice LaZBoy, swivel rocker recliners. Between the cats shredding them and the dogs digging to China on the seats, these have had it.

If the new ones last 8 years as these did, I'd be happy.

katladyd
06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
My cats destroyed leather. Stuffing falling out and shreds hanging out no matter what it did. My lastest couch is upholstered in a denim fabric. It's wonderful! No matter how hard they scratch...not a mark on it. I've had it about two years and it still looks good!:D