PDA

View Full Version : Vodoun?

BaronSamedi
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Anyone here practicing and or studying it?

Vodou (Voodoo, Vodoun) is a monotheistic religion that is a blending of African and Roman Catholic beliefs. There is one Deity (Bond Eye) and spirits call Lwa (Saints). The Lwa are "messengers" between our world and the next or Bond Eye. They are catagorized in "Families" (Rada, Petro and Ghede). People communicate to the Lwa using alters and rituals. A person who is being "ridden" by a Lwa will act like that Lwa (Baron Samedi or Ghede will make that person dress in black and want to mate with anything that moves.)

The Rada are the "oldest" and are generally considered more beneficent spirits.

Legba: He stands at the crossroads between our world and the world of the Lwa. He must be asked promission to "open the gate".
Loco: Patron of healers and plants. He is the husband of Ayizan and both are considered the first Mambo (priestess) and Houngan (priest).
Anaisa Pye: Patron Saint of love, money and general happiness.
Damballa: The Sky God and primordial creater of all life. His wife is Aida, she is the Lwa of fertility, serpents and rainbows.
Erzulie: The Lwa of love, beuty, dancing and flowers.
Mami Wata: She can be either a mermaid or a human, like the Sirens in the Greek myths, would lore sailers to their death.
Agwe: Portecter of fishermen and sailors, also rules over the sea.

The Petro are more aggressive and warlike.

Ezili Dantor: She watches over and protects mothers, especially single ones.
Marinette: She is cruel and vicious and usually represented by a screech owl and is the protector of werewolves.
Oguon: Watches over hunting and war. Usually pictured with a bladed weapon (sword, machete, ax, etc.).
Kalfu: Allows bad luck, destruction, disease to enter the human world. Always the "bad" Lwa. Can be synchronized with the Judeo Christian Satan.

The Ghede are spirits of the Dead. They love to party, tell dirty jokes and cause mischief.

Baron Samedi: Depicted either as a man with his face painted like a skull or as a skeleton, he wears a top hat, tux and sunglasses. He is vulger, profane, and a prankster. Decides if a person is ready to die or not, will not dig their grave until he feels its time. Also, hates to see children die, since they should live long happy lives. Has the sense of humor of a teenage boy, his wife is the same.
Maman Brigitte: Wife of the Baron. Loves, along with her husband, hot rum and cigars. Tells dirty jokes and live in the trees and rock piles in cemeteries. Is depicted as a light skinned European woman with blonde hair and green eyes.

People communicate with the Lwa through prayer and use of alters with offerings (food, money, items). People might also "sacrifice" an animal (chicken/rooster, pig, goat, etc.) allowing the Lwa to take/eat the essence and they will cook and eat the meat.

Voodoo is nothing like it is portrayed in movies. People do not stick pins in dolls or sacrifice people. Greed and violence are abhored and charity and kindness are virtues. People are supposed to be "watched over" by one or multiple Lwa . I've always felt a pull toward Baron Samedi, I have no clue why.

Karen
06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Interesting, I have never heard much of an explanation of voodoo, and always figured there was more to it than popular culture would lead one to believe.

wombat2u2004
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm still waiting to have a beer with Thor. They reckon he pops down here every couple of thousand years. :p

BaronSamedi
06-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm still waiting to have a beer with Thor. They reckon he pops down here every couple of thousand years. :p

You'd probably have a wilder party with Ghede.:cool:

Lilith Cherry
06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Lets invite both along with the Chinese Monkey King.... should be a riot!:)

BaronSamedi
06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Lets invite both along with the Chinese Monkey King.... should be a riot!:)

Don't forget Loki!

wombat2u2004
06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
We can't leave the Orc out :p

smokey the elder
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I think it's neat to learn about other people's faiths, whether one is a believer or not. I think you can learn a lot about a culture by learning three things: what they eat, what face of the Infinite they relate to, and what they find funny.

wombat2u2004
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I think it's neat to learn about other people's faiths, whether one is a believer or not. I think you can learn a lot about a culture by learning three things: what they eat, what face of the Infinite they relate to, and what they find funny.

I danced around a dead chicken one night, and the only thing that happened was I got tired and had to go rest. ;)

lvpets2002
06-10-2011, 03:34 PM
:) I so agree.. I do enjoy learning of other peoples & countrys cultures.. You dont have to beleive in them to be able to learn about them..