PDA

View Full Version : Realizing how old I am...

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
:eek:Last week I received an email from one of the members of my h.s. reunion committee, informing me of the date of the 50th class reunion in October 2012! Holy crap!!! - 50 years out of school sounds even worse than admitting my age. :eek: I told her I might be able to attend, but who knows what will happen between now and then???? I haven't been to a class reunion since the 10th, so I'm certain I would probably recognize no one. My SIL who was in the same class says we should go, and I have friends in CA, PA and CT that I know will be there, so I'm considering.

Gretchen - they are trying to arrange a tour of Vets for that morning too. I'd love to see that! Have you been back to any reunions?

Karen
06-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes, some things really do make one's age obvious, don't they? How big was your graduating class? Just curious!

Taz_Zoee
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I think you should go!!! I am going to my 20 year reunion this month on the 18th. It would be fun to see how many people you'd actually recognize after 50 years. :)

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, some things really do make one's age obvious, don't they? How big was your graduating class? Just curious!

It was a BIG class - 500+ - but of course a mere fraction of that actually attend the reunions. I'm thinking it was around 200 or less at the 10th when I went, and every reunion it dwindles more. A LOT have passed away, and many live too far away to want to bother, especially if they have no family left in the area and no other reason to go back home.
I was shocked at the way some looked after only 10 years - the guys with the thinning hair and beer bellies and the "girls" who obviously just let themselves go after they got married. Yes - it would be interesting to see them now! :p

Grace
06-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I went to my 45th - the theme was Senior Prom. It was at the Officer's Club at Quonset.

The first day we met at the school - so I did walk around. Everything looked so tired. Then again, it opened in the fall of 1955. I was in the first class to go all three years there.

From what I heard, I should have gone to the 40th - they put together the Senior Musical show all over again.

I went for my 45th Nursing School reunion, also. Much smaller.

You should try to go back for one, while you still can. Especially with friends coming from so far away.

Freedom
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh if you can attend w/ a friend, I say GO!

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I went to my 45th - the theme was Senior Prom. It was at the Officer's Club at Quonset.

The first day we met at the school - so I did walk around. Everything looked so tired. Then again, it opened in the fall of 1955. I was in the first class to go all three years there.

From what I heard, I should have gone to the 40th - they put together the Senior Musical show all over again.

I went for my 45th Nursing School reunion, also. Much smaller.

You should try to go back for one, while you still can. Especially with friends coming from so far away.

Mine is being held at Quidnessett Country Club. I looked it up on line - pretty ritzy! I'll probably go as long as my SIL does (she's in FL) and I am physically able. I haven't been back to RI since my mother's funeral 25 or so years ago - nothing or no one to go back to. If I do go, I'd like to stay an extra day visit the cemetary where Mom and Dad are buried, and maybe I could arrange a meet up with Freedom. :D But it's still 16 months away and in the very early planning stages.
Funny - mine was the last graduating class before the new h.s. opened and we had been on double sessions. I loved it - went to school only in the morning for 3 years. I wonder how many h.s.'s they have in Warwick now?

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh if you can attend w/ a friend, I say GO!

Wanna be my "date"??? :eek::p:D

lvpets2002
06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
:) Well now I am not so depressed at my age.. I have been out of school for 34 yrs && have not attended any class reunions.. They used to have them every 5 yrs.. I dont even know if they still have them now or not.. I would say go to your 50th & enjoy all.. Nothing else just to see what everyone looks like now..

Grace
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Funny - mine was the last graduating class before the new h.s. opened and we had been on double sessions. I loved it - went to school only in the morning for 3 years. I wonder how many h.s.'s they have in Warwick now?

They have 3 again - Vets, Pilgrim and Tollgate. But now they are just high school, not combined junior/senior.

For awhile, when Vets was being built, I got bused to Aldrich - can't remember why. It sure didn't take long for Vets to get full enough that they had to build Pilgrim. It was 10 years after Pilgrim that Tollgate opened.

Did you know the actor Jame Woods graduated from Pilgrim - 1965. And a pitcher for the Red Sox, Dan Wheeler, 1995.

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
They have 3 again - Vets, Pilgrim and Tollgate. But now they are just high school, not combined junior/senior.

For awhile, when Vets was being built, I got bused to Aldrich - can't remember why. It sure didn't take long for Vets to get full enough that they had to build Pilgrim. It was 10 years after Pilgrim that Tollgate opened.

Did you know the actor Jame Woods graduated from Pilgrim - 1965. And a pitcher for the Red Sox, Dan Wheeler, 1995.

I didn't know that they were ever combined, since they had Gorton, Lockwood and Aldrich. My older brother graduated from Gorton in 52 when they were still h.s.'s. I know Lockwood was converted to apartments or some such thing some time after the new h.s. opened tho. So now they have jr high schools again??? :confused:
Nope - didn't know we had any famous alumni....:) Cool!

Freedom
06-07-2011, 01:48 PM
and maybe I could arrange a meet up with Freedom. :D But it's still 16 months away and in the very early planning stages.

Absolutely!!!

Grace
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
When I went into 7th grade, it was at Lockwood Junior/Senior High School. (Lockwood was renovated into condos awhile back.)

Gorton and Aldrich were also junior/senior schools - grades 7 to 12 - back then.

Those three were turned into just junior highs when Vets opened - 1956.

Here (http://www.warwickschools.org/wpschools.htm) is a link to a page that shows the schools in Warwick now. Back to 3 high schools, with 3 junior highs.

Asiel
06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
You're all set Pom - date and all. I say Go For It, you might be pleasantly surprised (or otherwise), I think it would be great to have a visit with the old school chums. My last reunion was 23 yrs ago and most of the class attended but after trying to organize another one a few yrs later there were too many No's to go ahead. Some had passed, others moved and found it too far to attend, some did not want to fly , finances weren't good...somehow it went to the wayside. a few of us kept in touch and we do meet on a regular basis though.

Queen of Poop
06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
You really, really should go, provided you are able. What fun that would be! My 30th is coming up in 2013, looking forward to it.

pomtzu
06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
When I went into 7th grade, it was at Lockwood Junior/Senior High School. (Lockwood was renovated into condos awhile back.)

Gorton and Aldrich were also junior/senior schools - grades 7 to 12 - back then.

Those three were turned into just junior highs when Vets opened - 1956.

Here (http://www.warwickschools.org/wpschools.htm) is a link to a page that shows the schools in Warwick now. Back to 3 high schools, with 3 junior highs.

Thanks for that link. The pic that's posted for Vet's must be an old one - it still looks the same - unless it still is the same....:confused: I still remember the big to-do over the money spent for the cement canopy at the main entrance. :p