PDA

View Full Version : Past two days have been a nightmare She's Home!! Post 9

3Catcondo
06-04-2011, 06:25 AM
My nieces guinea pig Buddy (as POTD on Dec24th, 2010 http://petoftheday.com/archive/2010/December/24.html) has had some health issues and unfornately passed away in the night Thurs night/Fri am.
I was able to spend some time with him Thurs night and he was such a love, even so close to his passage to the Bridge. He was such a special pig.

I was off Friday and had arranged for an at home vet to come give my 4 kitties rabies/distemper shots.(I went with a home vet so I didn't have to get all 4 in a carrier and haul to vet. Dr Hurley is great, I have family members and several friends that use her). My niece went to school but I asked my sister if she didn't have anything pressing at school could I pick her up early, take her to get a pedicure and then we would go to the pool. I picked her up at 11:30, we came home and waited for the vet.
The vet started with my black and white girl Cricket, then proceeds to check eveyone out, weigh them and give vaccines. Within 10 mins Cricket showed symptoms of Anaphylactic shock, which she had never had problems with before. She vomited non stop, starting pooping in the kitchen floor with blood in it, pale gums, panting, walking unstable. Dr Hurley, home vet gave her anti nausea meds, steriod shot and Sub Q fluids, but Cricket was still showing signs of distress so she told me to take her to Brook Run clinic where I usually go (obviously she had limited tools to work with in her SUV). There they basically did the same thing and kept her for the afternoon. When I talked to the clinic vet later in the day she said Cricket's breathing and other vitals had gone back to normal and that I could come pick her up around 5:30. So, I went to get her, we get home, she comes upstairs and immediately vomits a bunch of bright red blood. I called the ER clinic and they told me to bring her in. I left her there last night and I miss her so much. This week I've bitched about cleaning out the litterboxes and having cat hair on everything and last night I cried and cried because I almost lost Cricket yesterday and I couldn't imagine life without any of them.
My poor niece was so excited to be out of school and havin plans to do fun things and then she has to go thru all of this with me, after losing her gp...(she's 11). I felt so bad....
If you can spare some prayers that Cricket's liver/stomach etc have not suffered any permanent damage and that she can come home today we would appreciate it.

mrspunkysmom
06-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Oh My

You and Cricket have my prayers for a speedy recovery.

phesina
06-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Many prayers and good wishes and warm healing energies are being sent for dear little Cricket's recovery.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Laura's Babies
06-04-2011, 09:04 AM
OH WOW! That sounds horrifying! Of coarse you have prayers for Cricket and may the Lord surround her with his light of love and healing through all our prayers..

Any idea what she had that reaction to? My cat buddy Mike's beautiful Yetta had a reaction to one of her shots so she only gets one shot at a time now and spends the whole day at the vets after wards and sometimes goes home with the vet at night because her reactions are not always immediate

catmandu
06-04-2011, 09:20 AM
:love::love:
We are praying for Poor Little Cricket that she is going to be well and that there is no permant damage.
:cool::cool:
Thta is sad how fast these things can happen.:(:(

Catty1
06-04-2011, 10:16 AM
HUGE prayers for Cricket. Gosh, where are the Purrayer Pups when you need them?

OK Phred and Pups - we need your help and prayers here!

Freedom
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
WOW! Oh my gosh, of course healing prayers for sweet Cricket! And hugs for you, too!

Like Laura, I was wondering if they have an idea which shot caused this?

Malibu's Mom
06-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Praying that poor Cricket makes a speedy recovery and is back to shedding everywhere in no time. Also praying for you and your niece. :(

3Catcondo
06-04-2011, 08:48 PM
CRICKET IS HOME!!!! She is super tired but otherwise seems to be resting comfortably. She is on anti flammatory for her stomach and pepcid a/c.
They think it was the distemper shot so $550 later the lesson I learned is since all of them are indoor only I will not give them that vaccination anymore unless they become indoor/outdoor cats, which will probably be never. So scary. No wonder I don't have kids yet at 34, I worried so much about her the whole time!!! I would be worse with human kids. Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers, I hope by Monday she will be back to normal once again. The other kitties think she smells horrible and have acted like an alien is in the house. I told them no, that was their sissy with her "snow boots" on where she's shaved on both front legs for the IVs. I'll try to get a cute pic of her and her legs tomorrow.

Also, next time she needs a rabies shot I will give her Benadryl the day before, and the morning of to counteract any reaction she may have so we don't go thru this anymore. The home vet, the vet clinic and the ER vet all suggest it. Someone else on here may benefit from it too if they aren't already aware.

Freedom
06-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Hooray, Cricket is HOME!!!!!

Speedy recovery now, Cricket, you are home and settled, which means less stress.

My cats are indoor only, I've had the rabies sot only for a few years. now. Just got the 3 year one for all of them, so no vet trips needed till 2013 (the first group got the 3 way end of 2010). Well, except for Sparkle, age 14 and early stage CRF. She is in a holding pattern for now, though.

That is interesting re the Benadryl, I will ask about that next vet visit, in August, w/ 2 of the dogs. Good tip. Sorry you had to learn it this way, though.

mrspunkysmom
06-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Absolutely wonderful. I wonder every time they get vaccinations. Hope she feels better fast.

Catty1
06-04-2011, 09:50 PM
WONDERFUL that Cricket is home and feeling better! Get well soon, little one!:love::love:

Give her and all your babies kissies on their foreheads from me. :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm just now reading this and I'm so glad to hear that Cricket is now home and doing well.:)

My Sky would get sick like he had an URI after getting his distemper shots. Since they're all indoor only and they never go any where except to the vet for annual exams, I stopped giving my cats their shots. Alani & Blaze had all of their kitten shots and I think they need one more adult distemper shot but after that no more. My vet told me to stop especially for older cats like my Storm. In my city rabies shots aren't required for cats. Many vets also do the distemper shots every 3 years instead of every year now.

katladyd
06-05-2011, 03:23 AM
My cats are all indoor only, so no shots for them. They all get regular checkups, though. Especially Ming.

phesina
06-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Oh, Cricket, so glad to see you are back home and feeling much better! Be all well again real soon.
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

katladyd
06-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I forgot to add, WELCOME HOME, CRICKET!!:love:

momcat
06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Cricket! I'm sorry you were so sick but it's great to know you're back home with your Meowmie. I'm still saying lots of prayers for you to feel better and stay well. Sending you feel better scritchies and lovies :love:

carole
06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
oh my word how distressing for you and your precious furbaby cricket, i am sending much love, hugs and positive vibes that little Cricket will be well and happy again, you are in our thoughts, get well soon cricket.:love::love::love::love: