PDA

View Full Version : "Dr. Death" Dies

Catty1
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
I put this in the DH as he was and is a controversial person.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/06/03/obit-kevorkian.html

Assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian, who spent eight years in prison for second-degree murder, died early Friday in a Detroit-area hospital after battling respiratory and renal problems, his lawyer confirmed to CBC News.

Mayer Morganroth said in a telephone interview from Birmingham, Mich., that he and Kevorkian's niece were by the 83-year-old's side when he died in Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

"I was there all last night until he passed away," Morganroth said.

He added that Kevorkian had several problems that were treatable, including have a cancerous lesion on his liver but that could have been removed, and the respiratory and renal issues.

"But he had a pulmonary thrombosis that came to his lung, and that changed everything, and then it was a matter of hours before he passed away," between 2:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. ET.

Kevorkian had been admitted to hospital about two weeks ago. The hospital hasn't released an official cause of death.

The Armenian-American pathologist, who claimed to have assisted in 130 suicides, advocated the rights of the terminally ill, famously say "dying is not a crime."

In 1999, Kevorkian, who became known by the nickname Dr. Death, began serving eight years of a 10- to 25-year prison term, and was released in 2007 on the condition he not offer suicide advice.

[B]Life story subject of award-winning show

Despite his controversial preachings, "I think the great majority were in [Kevorkian's] corner, no question about it," Morganroth said. "You always get that percentage that will go for anything and take an antagonistic position. But the very substantial majority ... will mourn his loss.

"He advocated [the right to die] right up to the end, however, he did not perform it," Morganroth said, adding that Kevorkian continued to lecture following his release from prison.

His last lecture was at UCLA in front of 1,800 people in February.

In 2008, Kevorkian also ran for Congress as an Independent, but received just 2.7 per cent of the vote in a suburban Detroit district.

Morganroth was a constant travelling companion of Kevorkian. They both attended awards ceremonies honouring the 2010 HBO movie You Don't Know Jack, which tells his life story and features Al Pacino in the lead role.

Pacino won both Emmy and Golden Globe awards for his portrayal of Kevorkian.

Morganroth said funeral plans haven't been made, but he expects it to be a private, small service in the Detroit area.

wombat2u2004
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
RIP Jack.

Cataholic
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
How many of us would serve 8 years for standing up for our beliefs? He was a remarkable man, with a strong conviction. I think 50 years from now, prolly even less, the majority of people will wonder why suicide, assisted suicide, etc., was ever considered a crime.

May he find the peace and enlightenment in heaven that was sorely lacking on earth.

lvpets2002
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
:) I so aggree.. :( RIP Jack

How many of us would serve 8 years for standing up for our beliefs? He was a remarkable man, with a strong conviction. I think 50 years from now, prolly even less, the majority of people will wonder why suicide, assisted suicide, etc., was ever considered a crime.

May he find the peace and enlightenment in heaven that was sorely lacking on earth.

AvaJoy
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I hope there will be other compassionate physicians to take up his crusade.

K9karen
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Beautifully stated!