PDA

View Full Version : I'm a woman on a MISSION!!!

moosmom
06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I watched a program, Hallowed Grounds on PBS over the weekend. I decided to open my Dad's lockbox to find out things about my uncle Donald Edward Ploss who died at the age of 19 in the Battle of the Bulge.

I noticed some indiscrepancies in the paperwork. That's when I decided to take action and find out the real truth. Here's what I learned so far:

Donald, age 19, was a Private in the U.S. Army. He fought in the "Battle of the Bulge" and was hit by enemy schrapnel. According to documents my family received from the War Records of the Connecticut State Library, he's buried in Grand Failly, France. Even has the Burial Plot A, Row 3, Grave 57. BUT...according to a letter received by the Department of the Army in Washington, DC, he's buried Plot A, Row 8, Grave 18 in the US Military Cemetery in Luxembourg, Germany.

I spoke with a wonderful lady Bonnie at the CT State Library Archives who was so helpful!!

She led me to the American Battle Monuments Commission website where I was able to look up WHERE his body is. I also got a phone number to call where I left a message. I want to find out exactly what the situation is and if anyone in Germany is asking to "adopt" his grave, putting flowers on it a few times a year.

This is actually exciting for me!! It's got my adrenalin pumping.

Stay tuned!!!!

kokopup
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I would think that he is buried in Luxembourg and not in France or Germany. Luxembourg (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg ) though is not a part of Germany but a Country sandwiched between Belgium, Germany and France.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mluxemb.gif

moosmom
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks Kokopup!!!! He's supposedly buried in the Luxembourg American Cemetery in Luxembourg City, Germany. I'm so geographically illiterate it's not funny.

Love the map.

cassiesmom
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Moosmom, I'd love to go to Europe with you and help find it! Good luck in your search!

That is something I have wondered after seeing the pictures of the American cemetery in Normandy- who keeps records of the people buried there? What happens after the generation that remembers WW II dies, will people still be interested in taking care of it?

kokopup
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks Kokopup!!!! He's supposedly buried in the Luxembourg American Cemetery in Luxembourg City, Germany. I'm so geographically illiterate it's not funny.

If they have the bural site as Luxembourg, City
Germany this is another point to investigate. In fact the oldest town in Germany, Trier, which is the closest point in Germany to Luxembourg City is 20 miles away. Trier was established by the Romans in 16 BC. There is so much History in a 30 mile radius of Luxembourg City it would be a shame to do your research without including a history lession on the area surrounding the infamous battle of the Bulge.

While I lived in The Netherlands I located a burial site for a friend, in one of the many US cemetaries in that area. This one happened to be in Belgium.

Good luck on your research.

K9karen
06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
How awesome, Donna! I think it's so sweet and loving that your uncle hasn't been forgotten. I often think about those brave men who never came home and where they're buried and who's taking care of the grounds.

I have to thank you. I just now remembered that I have 2 uncles (twins) on my mom's side who died 6 months apart at age 2. (what a difference in medical advancement-one had a double hernia, the other, pneumonia). Mom remembered they were buried in the paupers side of the cemetary (near my house). She had forbade me to look them up. She wanted them to lie in peace. But I think I will investigate. Maybe even move them to their family plot. There are 2 spaces left, since most of the siblings are buried elsewhere with their families. Thanks for a heads up.

moosmom
06-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I was actually named after my uncle Donald Edward Ploss (Donna Ellen Ploss). I never met him but have always had a picture of him in his Army uniform and somehow had a strong connection to. I even went as far as to write to my state congressman to get a copy of his purple heart which I also have encased with my Dad's flag and dog tags.

Kokopup,

Thanks for the history lesson. I've always been fascinated with history. Now even more than ever! Those US cemeteries are gorgeous and very well maintained. A wonderful tribute to all our fallen heroes!!

Visiting his grave is on my "Bucket List" although I highly doubt I'll ever get there to see it. But if I can find someone to adopt it, I can die a happy woman!!

phesina
06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
This is just beautiful, Donna, this project you have taken on to honor your uncle's memory. God bless you. May you locate his resting place and some day even be able to visit it. And meanwhile, may there be someone tending his grave lovingly.
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Randi
06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Donna, I can see why this is interesting for you, and your uncle would be proud. :) I have traced some of my father's family to USA, only found one family, though. The grandson of my grandfather's brother had sent an e-mail to a Danish archive in 1997, but unfortunately I got to know about this only last year.

Recently, I saw a TV program called "Who am I". In that, Susan Sarandon traced her family, and the other day Jerry Springer did the same. That was a sad show. I expect there'll be more programs to come. I find it very interesting!