PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With Your New Ferret

coollikeme
05-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Your new ferret..what an adorable addition to your family. Did you know that these amazing animals can be trained to use a litter box, just like cats? Well, they can. But before you go ahead and allow your new ferret roam freely around your, you will need to take some precautions.

Of course your new ferret should never be let loose in your home. Let it become acquainted with its new surroundings from the comfort of its cage before you decide to let it roam around your home. You must also teach your new ferret how to use a litter box. Depending on your ferret and how much time you spend on litter training, most ferrets will use the litter box about 75% of the time. Some ferrets will use the litter box every time but, with most, you might find a "present" in the house occasionally. Litter box training may take up to several hours per day for several months. The more time and attention you give to it, the more likely it is that you will have a litter box trained ferret. The best way to begin litter box training is to let your ferret run around a small space, like a bathroom first.

Usually, ferrets will use the litter box within a couple of minutes of waking up or after they finish eating. So, when your ferret first wakes up you should put it in the litter box. Make sure he goes to the bathroom before letting him get out of the box. Once it done going, immediately give him a treat. The point is to try to get him to associate going in the litter box, with then receiving a treat. You must never physically punish a ferret for any reason, especially if they have an little accident in the house. Using physical punishment will only cause them to be afraid of you and they do not associate their behavior with that kind of punishment. If you want your ferret to be able to roam freely around the house, then you need to be willing to a little cleaning up after them sometimes.

Another thing you will need to do, before you allow your ferret to run free, is to "ferret proof" your house. Ferret proofing means making your home safe for a ferret. They are little curious creatures an d they manage to find their way into small places. A good thing to remember is if their head will fit into a place, then their bodies will too. Start by crawling around your house on your hands and knees while looking for small holes, crevices, loose ventilation covers, etc. Be sure to check every room that you plan to let your new ferret explore.

Remember to inspect appliances for small holes or places that ferrets may be able to get inside of. Ferrets are very curious creatures that are also really good climbers, so anything may become a "play area" for ferrets. Ferrets may be able to get up into some refrigerators and may have the potential to get hurt on the fan. The dryer tubing also looks like a lot of fun to a ferret. They can tear a hole in it and end up getting outside through the vent. Many couches can also be a potential danger for ferrets, since some of them have thin fabric lining underneath. Ferrets may easily get through the lining and the be able to get up inside of the couch to the springs.

Many ferret owners enjoy allowing their ferret to run around the house and get some extra exercise. But, the most important thing for you new ferret is that they have a safe place to run and have fun.

John is a ferret enthusiast. For more information on a new ferret, visit http://www.howtotakecareofferret.com

IRescue452
05-30-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't think I could stress how much a ferret can get into things. Mine can open sliding closet doors. He gets behind the fridge and then he has access to all the space under the cupboards and behind the stove and dishwasher. I have to keep a board blocking the side of the fridge.

Litter box training is very hard for a ferret, not like a cat who naturally goes in litter and covers it up. I would not tell any potential owner to expect a litter trained ferret. This gives people the wrong impression from the start and they're in for disappointment or getting rid of the ferret. The ferret will pick corners they like and I just put a flat piece of plastic in those spots for easy cleanup. I also leave him in the bathroom for a minute when he first gets up because if he goes on the hard floor I just have to wipe it up with tp and flush and its gone.