PDA

View Full Version : Riley got out :(

JMCsGirl
05-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Riley got out our back door yesterday and has not shown himself since :( I stood outside calling for him and shook a bowl of food but still nothing. I feel really terrible that he escaped and I wasn't home at the time to find him right away. DH was home but was unable to get him back inside. I feel like such a terrible cat mom :(

Freedom
05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
These things happen, it is not a reflection on you.

Buy a can of salmon, or a can of tuna in OIL (not water) and put some of that in a bowl and put it out. These are really smelly and should attract him.

Do you have a Have a Heart trap? Or can you borrow one? Once he starts coming around, you may not be able to catch him, you may need to trap him.

My Mandy got out, 2 years back. She hadn't a clue how to care for herself, and stayed in my back yard, eating all the food I put out for her and gazing down at me from the roof of my shed. I had to use a trap to get her in. OF course, I caught LACEY in the trap, first, lol. Took about 8 days, but at least I could see her and knew where she was.

Good Luck!

catmandu
05-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Our Awesome Angels Search and Rescue Squad will be on the job soon.
And while Michael, Princess and Joseph Angels on the job, we bet that they will have your Riley home in no time at all.
:love::love::love:

MoonandBean
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Try not to worry. It's Spring. I'm sure he's happy to be able to go on a little adventure and he will come home when he's ready. Please keep us updated. :love:

columbine
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Put up posters with a photo and your number, asking neighbors to check their basements, garages, and sheds. Often a lost cat will hole up in an outbuilding when a window is open, and get trapped when the window is closed.

Good luck!

Love, Columbine

Taz_Zoee
05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Also check at local vets and shelters in case someone picked him up and turned him in.

I hope he comes home soon! I know how that feels and mine was only gone for less than 24 hours.

astrid
05-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I could tell you not to worry, but as a cat mom I know that's impossible :( so I'm sending you good thoughts and prayers for Riley, may he get back home soon, safe and sound :love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope he comes home soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

Pinot's Mom
05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
It's heartbreaking, I know, we've all been there. Try to keep up hope, Riley could be right in your yard (as Pinot was once when I was crying my eyes out) and will come home when ready. Keep us posted!

kuhio98
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm so sorry that Riley decided to take a trip.
Don't give up hope. Can you find time to sit outside for a while reading or listening to music? Call his name every now and then and he just might show up looking for some lovins.

This website http://www.petrescue.com/petlibrary/pet-rescue/how-to-find-a-lost-cat-or-dog/ has many suggestions.

If he's not home tonight, I would take action. Sadly, with Kuhio, we learned to late.

Anikaca77
05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
It's heartbreaking, I know, we've all been there. Try to keep up hope, Riley could be right in your yard (as Pinot was once when I was crying my eyes out) and will come home when ready. Keep us posted!

Exactly, we have all been there, our one cat Athena nickname (Beans) she's not the smartest cat in the world, walked outside I simply wasn't fast enough and I didn't know she would jump out the door but she went down our side walk, we chased her and she tried to go into the grass and hated the feeling under her feet (she was previous stray years ago but must of forgotten the feel of grass) so she went back onto the side walk and walked around the building and finally she stopped at a small bush and my husband was able to grab her...but my goodness we were both so scared.

My prays that he comes home fast and safe and sound.

Melissa

phesina
05-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Prayers for dear Riley to keep safe and come back home soon.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
05-27-2011, 05:07 PM
You weren't even home when Riley got out, so it's pointless to blame yourself. Save your energy; you'll need it when Riley comes back and you hug him like mad. (Then throttle him. LOL) My RB Boo got out once and it just happened to be the coldest day of the year and snow was really piled high. My son and I searched and searched, thinking that we'd easily be able to see a midnight black cat against white snow. Not a chance. I cried and cried and made my son miserable. That night I left the garage door open a few inches and at approximately midnight I heard Boo's meow. I ran out to the garage and there he was by the door, ready to come in where it was safe and warm. He was covered w/mud; I have no idea where his adventure took him but apparently it was far and long enough. He was gone for nearly 24 hours. Just trust that Riley will come home. Keep the faythe. :love:

maerlyn
05-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Prayers for Riley coming! He's probably not very far away; cats have the most aggravating way of just ignoring us until they're good and ready. The tuna's a great idea. Please let us know when he comes home!

JMCsGirl
05-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. I got Riley back inside just a few minutes ago. I was taking Foxy outside to go potty when I spotted him just beyond our fence in the neighbors backyard. Their dog has been free roaming a lot lately so I was hoping he wouldn't try to get me out of his backyard and also hoping Riley didn't run and trigger a prey instinct. Riley wouldn't come to me so I grabbed what food I did have and tried to hurry around to entice him and grab him. He sniffed the food and I grabbed him real quick and ran him inside where he is safe and warm. He is now laying on our ottoman while Phoebe sniffs and hisses since he smells different now.

phesina
05-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Oh, HALLELUJAH!!!!! Thank God!!!

Hello Riley.. well, Hello Riley... So good to see you back where you belong!

Taz_Zoee
05-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Thank goodness!! I'm so happy he is back home and safe. :)

Randi
05-28-2011, 04:38 AM
I was hoping to see that Riley had come back, so I'm glad he's safely back inside. Cats just have to explore when it's spring and they're so good making themselves invisible. :rolleyes: :D

catmandu
05-28-2011, 09:24 AM
HOORRAY, Rileys back where he belongs!!:love::love:

Karen
05-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Yay! Glad he's back and safe!

Medusa
05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Oh thank goodness! You can breathe now. ;)

katladyd
05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
My computer has been down for awhile so iam posting from my phone. I am sooo happy Riley is back inside where he belongs!

Pinot's Mom
05-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh, HALLELUJAH!!!!! Thank God!!!

Hello Riley.. well, Hello Riley... So good to see you back where you belong!

Love this! :) So glad Riley is home! :D

krazyaboutkatz
05-28-2011, 06:33 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D Now hopefully he learned his lesson and this won't ever happen again.

astrid
05-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank God he got back home so soon and safe! :)