PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Pet Show Report and Photos

Edwina's Secretary
11-04-2002, 02:49 PM
On Saturday Tubby and Peanut’s mom (Debbie) and I went to the Pet Show on Navy Pier in Chicago. (My husband followed along.) There was a cat show as well as a dog pull(???), a pet alligator, lots of vendors, birds, and rescue organizations. There were costumed dogs wandering around – our favorite as one dressed as a Hooters waitress – complete with tennis ball breasts! (at last an explanation….)

The dog pull seemed to be mostly pit bulls. We were mixed in our feelings about this but decided it was better than other pit bull activities. We saw them (some of them anyway) pull 2040 pounds of iron! Interestingly some really big dogs got out there and said…”I don’t think so!” Size wasn’t a factor.

There were vendors selling litter boxes enclosed in lovely oak cabinetry, HUGE cat trees and…….pet HATS!!!

I hope I speak for Debbie as well when I say what fun it was. I couldn’t believe as we left and I looked at my watch – we had been there almost 4 hours!

Here’s some photos....

This was my third cat show and the freindliest people by far. Most just loved telling about their breed and their cats. Here's a couple of Birman (I think!!!)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/p71fdbb728c882b378f9e950c125a0106/fd1748aa.jpg

Sasvermont...this bright-eyed cutie is for you! Look at the expression of his buddy still in their tent..."Show-off!"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/pebec0c87a9fb7108861b1014921492be/fd174959.jpg

Is this what Edwina looked like as a kitten????
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/p2e385f5759b8060393a124c8a3e5d180/fd17495f.jpg

and...the dog pull (like a tractor pull to some of us...)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/pb6186489c47631f1eaf9ca054b4ad435/fd14f28f.jpg

ramanth
11-04-2002, 03:07 PM
How cool! Great pics! :) Perhaps I'll be able to make it out next year. :D

mugsy
11-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for sharing Sara!!! Cool pictures.

wolflady
11-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! Must have been a big show! I can easily see how 4 hours would pass! ;) I'm glad you had a good time! :D

Miss Meow
11-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Sounds like you all had a great time! That grey and white kitty does look like Miss Edwina, she has followers everywhere :)

COCatMama
11-04-2002, 04:51 PM
looks like a fun time! :D

AmberLee
11-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Awww, it does sound like you had a great time.

Crikit
11-04-2002, 07:19 PM
that looks like fun, I was actually at the Calgary Pet Expo this weekend, didn't get to take any pictures though 'cause I was one of the demonstartors with the training centre that I go to.

moosmom
11-04-2002, 09:27 PM
Sara,

Cat shows are always alot of fun. Especially the vendors :D. Did you happen to see any Sphynxes when you were there?? I wish they'd have cat shows near where I am. Most of them are quite far up North.

Edwina's Secretary
11-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Yes, there was a Sphynx...so cute. And lots of Rexes -- Devon Rex, Cornish Rex, and one I hadn't seen Selkirk Rex. I think those are so cute too except for the whiskers --which remind me of the really old great uncle who didn't shave quite right!

One of the fun things about going with a fellow Pettalker was the ..."Look...that cat looks just like Peanut! Look there is a Sphynx -- just like Donna's!", etc.

Chicago is not far from Michigan you know!

aly
11-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Great pics!! Sounds like a lot of fun :)

NoahsMommy
11-05-2002, 01:12 PM
What great pictures...all those cats are just too cute! How on earth were you able to summon the will power not to take them home with you? I would assume they all had owners though, huh? ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-05-2002, 01:38 PM
How on earth were you able to summon the will power not to take them home with you? I would assume they all had owners though, huh? ;)
Thanks for sharing! [/QUOTE]

Most of them had owners, but there were quite a few that were "for sale." There was one, a beautiful orange Maine Coone, that they were looking to get rid of because she was "retired" from the show circuit. Evidently she wasn't winning enough ribbons to earn her keep so they are getting rid of her. She was rubbing on her cage and looked really sweet, and it was extremely hard not to take her home.

This is the only picture I took. I meant to take so many, but must have got caught up in looking at everything that I forgot to take more pictures. :rolleyes:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/p9e235ef96419d30182f95906d8580b1a/fd13eae4.jpg
I thought it was cute how she was carrying the kitty in her bibs. Tried to get the pic when the kitty was looking, but she/he wasn't cooperating - typical kitty style.

The dog pull was rather interesting. I had never even heard of this before. And the guy with the alligator! He was doing a show and asked for a volunteer from the audience. He picked a little girl, probably about or 5 years old. Put her on the back of the alligator and the alligator got up and walked a few feet, giving the little girl a ride. Ok, so he raised the gator from baby on, and it was completely tame (or as tame as an alligator can be), but I still say that would be the day I let my kid get on an alligator's back!!! :eek: :eek:

There were so many cute kittens, but they were mostly pure breds, and nothing against pure breds, but I'd rather get a needy kitty from a shelter rather than take one that might not have been "good enough" for the show circuit. They had a few there that were rescued from a guys house who had 41 dogs and cats in the house, and wasn't adequately taking care of them all. Another one that was difficult for me to say no to was a real sweet looking girl, about 10 months old. Kind of the same coloring as Peanut, but short hair, and a body like Tubby's but not quite so big. The owner had her declawed on all four :eek: then let her loose to fend for herself when they moved! :eek: :eek: How in the world did they expect her to fend for herself with all four feet declawed! Poor kitty.

This was my first cat/pet show, and I really enjoyed all the animals and the vendors. Somehow I must have gotten an idea stuck in my head, because I had to stop at Petco on my way home and pick up a little bed thing for Peanut's Palace.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/p8634a2382a696cc9de51cf94feac48cd/fd13eae3.jpg
She really likes it, but I had to move it out of her palace. I don't think she can see enough that's going on when she's in there, so I had to put it in a spot where she normally likes to lay. She will go right over to it now, paw at it then lay down and curl up. Such a sweetie. :)

Anyway, the show was fun, and maybe we can get some more of you out for the one they have in springtime at Arlington.

anna_66
11-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Guys, those were great pics & it sounds as if you had a good time. I would have liked to went, well, maybe next time!
Thanks for sharing:D