PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning laptop keyboards AFTER the spill and the keys are sticky...

Catty1
05-19-2011, 04:37 PM
There are some results on the interwebs, but what does one do when the stuff has dried? Is it ok to tilt the laptop on end and gently spray alcohol/contact cleaner/etc into it and let it drain?

I have two clients asking me now, and I am not sure what approach to take.

TY! :)

Taz_Zoee
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm not as familiar with laptops, do the keys pop off like they do on a regular desktop keyboard?? Because Bruce spilled margarita on his keyboard and I cleaned it by popping off the keys one at a time and using alcohol and q-tips.

Good luck!!

smokey the elder
05-20-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't think "Pepsi Syndroming" a laptop is good for it. There may be important stuff under the keyboard, and soda is acidic. A standalone keyboard may be able to be cleaned.

kokopup
05-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I had a similar happening with a laptop but never got it working right after that. I finally had to replace the keyboard. I found several chinese companies selling exact replacements cheap. I ordered it, and it turned out to be an easy swap. I guess it depends on the brand as to whether there are easy replacements online. From the number of sellers it must be a frequent problem.

mrspunkysmom
05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
If the liquid stays on the keyboard you can clean it, bit by bit. If it goes under the keyboard you are in a world of hurt. Might need a new motherboard.

Spunky and I spilled cranberry juice on one years ago. I had a policy that replaced the motherboard and keyboard but used substandard parts. ARGH!

Good Luck!