PDA

View Full Version : Arranging transport to Texas for kitty?

phesina
05-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Dear friends, I heard from someone at the shelter I used to work at, saying someone called the shelter last Thursday wanting to know if they could help with this: A cat in Howell (mid-Michigan) needs to go to Texas (don't know where in TX) and then Hawaii (it has a Hawaii chip).

I don't know anything else about the cat or the rest of the story. I have a name and phone number of the person looking for the transport, that's all.

If any of you have any ideas or suggestions or contacts or leads, would you please let me know. If something sounds promising, I'll call the woman and get more info and put you (or whomever) in touch with her.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Pat

catmandu
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I wish I could help, but all I can do is pray.:love:

lvpets2002
05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
:) I would say these people needs to get in touch with Pilots-n-Paws && try for arial transport since the baby is going all the way to Hawaii.. Or try to raised enough funds for a commercial flight straight to Hawaii.. What is the whole story with this cat??

phesina
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you, Helene! I never heard of Pilots-n-Paws, but what a fantastic idea to learn about!

I just looked for them with Google (or actually GoodSearch), and there are listings for Pilots For Paws and Pilots N Paws and Flying Paws.. So it looks like there might be a number of such possibilities.

I don't know any more of the story than what I posted. All I have is her name and a phone number. Maybe I'll give her a call and tell her about these organizations.

Yesterday I also sent out an e-mail about this to a whole lot of people I know who are involved in rescue. One of them responded sounding like she might have some ideas too.

Thanks again, Helene!

phesina
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I wish I could help, but all I can do is pray.:love:

Prayer helps too, Gary! Thank you. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I talked with Marcia (the woman wanting to transport the cat) today, and it sounds like the transport matter is resolved.. !!! I hope..

Here's the story, more or less:

She LIVES in San Antonio, which is where she was calling from. She said they also have a place in Hawaii (which has super-strict quarantine laws for bringing in pets), and she is involved in a lot of cat rescue work there.

This cat is a stray that turned up in Howell and is at the animal shelter there. It was found to have a microchip from Hawaii, but an owner couldn't be traced (if they moved from HI to MI, they never changed the info for the chip). I don't know how she found out about it in Texas; maybe one of her Hawaii rescue friends told her.

Marcia and her husband are going to adopt this kitty. They already have a dog and another cat. They like to go to their place in Hawaii sometimes, but Marcia has a broken ankle right now and has to go to a lot of physical therapy, so Hawaii is not on for a while. When they are ready to go again, this cat and their other pets will do the four-months preparation if needed before they leave.

She was looking into a way to get it from MI to TX, which was how she happened to call the local shelter.

Here's what they've got worked out: The cat will be taken to a vet to be checked out to get the health cert. for the flight to Texas. Afterwards someone she knows who lives in Saline MI is going to pick the cat up and take it to Detroit Metro Airport, so it can be flown to San Antonio in Delta Cargo.

She asked if I knew of any pilots who did those kinds of rescue transports from here to other places like Pilots and Paws, which would be better than Delta Cargo. I guess she did contact Pilots and Paw, and they gave her one name but that pilot couldn't do it. I told her I didn't know any myself and had only just heard of Pilots and Paws (thanks, Helene!), but I know a lot of people around the country who have all kinds of connections for transports.

She thought I should find out who does these kinds of things locally, so I'd know if this comes up again. I think that's a good idea myself, so I'll see what I can find out.

I wished her luck with it all, and told her to call me back if for some reason any of the current plans fall through.

Pat :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
I called the woman in Texas yesterday to check on how things were going. She said everything went fine and she has the cat now!

Her already-resident cat isn't too happy about the newcomer, though it gets along just fine with their dog. I advised her to give the cats time and they'll work it out.

I hope so! and that they all live happily ever after.

lvpets2002
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
:) Well Good to Know All Is Going Great.. Yes Patience is always needed when you are doing new intros..

I called the woman in Texas yesterday to check on how things were going. She said everything went fine and she has the cat now!

Her already-resident cat isn't too happy about the newcomer, though it gets along just fine with their dog. I advised her to give the cats time and they'll work it out.

I hope so! and that they all live happily ever after.