PDA

View Full Version : Just checking in

Suki Wingy
05-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Hi all. It's been a while since I made a proper post and I recently threw together some footage from Christmas on til last weekend, so I thought I'd share.

(Link to YouTube here) (http://youtu.be/FoILgAQj8SU)

Niņo is 11 now, about to celebrate his 11th gotcha day. Some of you may remember he has mild epilepsy, not on any medication for it. Lately his one or so seizures a year have turned into about five since Christmas, and afterward he becomes very uncomfortable.

Last weekend we all met up at my uncle and aunt's new house on five acres and Niņo had an absolute great time running around with the other dogs, and even was perfect off leash! When he came home he had a seizure, and then according to my mom, was having trouble moving around/generally just down. She took him to the vet, and she thinks he has arthritis in his spine and hips which is greatly aggravated after a seizure. He has been put on medication and is doing much better just having recovered from the after effects of the seizure. She took him to the dog park today with our other dog and my grandparents' collie mix and said he had a wonderful time and didn't seem in pain. I am just afraid he will have been overstimulated and have another seizure. Let me tell you, it was a very rough week. I thought, from the way my mom was talking, that I may have to make one last trip down to see him. I was a mess when I tried to tell them at work that I may have to suddenly call in sick. (luckily I work in a dog salon so they understand that it's not 'just another dog')

I am so happy that it seems to be something that with some medication and being careful not to overstimulate him, can be controlled a bit. Now if Eliza would stop constantly bugging him!

She is the new puppy my parents adopted from a local shelter about two months ago. She's around ten months now, but does not act it because she was not socialized at all. She was one of several dogs rounded up for adoption from the feral dog population in Terre Haute, Indiana. She's about 30-35 pounds right now and seems to be a pit bull mix.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/Oslobunn/Picture2-12.png

Karen
05-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Bless them for adopting her, and I am glad you and Nino have maybe found a solution to keep him comfortable and hopefully seizure-free!

chocolatepuppy
05-14-2011, 05:02 AM
I hope Nino does well on his new meds! Eliza's a beauty!:D

k9krazee
05-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I hope the medication works for Nino and he can be more comfortable!

I was going to send you a message when I first saw your new siggy with Eliza, but I never did. Glad we finally got a formal introduction! :p She is very cute.

Suki Wingy
05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks. He is pretty much back to normal now. :) I was all stressed out for nothing!