PDA

View Full Version : Topsy Turvy Planters

pomtzu
05-10-2011, 09:39 AM
I got one of the strawberry planters for Mother's Day, along with another orchid plant! :) Has anyone ever grown strawberries this way, and how successful were you? I know the tomato planters are great. My brother had a couple going when I was down visiting last, and they were loaded with tomatoes all summer. This year, he said he put out 4 of them!

So we went out Sunday afternoon and bought strawberry plants and potting soil, and I got it set up and planted yesterday. I got a variety of berry (native to MD) that is supposed to produce all summer and into early Fall. I don't really expect to get much, if any, this season since the plants have to get established, but hoping to see a decent harvest next year. They require daily watering and a lot of sun, but that's no problem. Even if I don't get any berries this season, it's pretty to look at!

Any input from anyone that has grown berries this way??? Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Here's a pic. Notice Sherbie under the porch??? - he had to check out what I was doing.

lvpets2002
05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
:) All I know is that everyone that I know that has one just loves them.. They all say all grows very well in them.. Good Luck

cassiesmom
05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Awww, hi, Sherbie!

Wow, I will have to get one of these for my dad. He likes to grow tomatoes in his garden, but he had squirrels or raccoons or something eat almost as many as he picked last year.

pomtzu
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Awww, hi, Sherbie!

Wow, I will have to get one of these for my dad. He likes to grow tomatoes in his garden, but he had squirrels or raccoons or something eat almost as many as he picked last year.

I like them because there's no bending, digging holes, weeding, etc - all those things I hate about gardening. These are great for the lazy gardener - like me. They sell these planters everywhere now - I've even seen them in the dollar stores. I'm thinking that I might go out and get one of the tomato planters now.

lizbud
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I have been wanting to try the tomato planter thingee this year.
Glad to hear that people are getting good results from them. Do they
come with the plants(or seeds) already in the planter, or do you have
to buy the plants separately?

pomtzu
05-11-2011, 06:11 AM
I have been wanting to try the tomato planter thingee this year.
Glad to hear that people are getting good results from them. Do they
come with the plants(or seeds) already in the planter, or do you have
to buy the plants separately?

You buy the soil and plants separate. Tomatoes are cheaper to do than the berries, since you only need one or two plants - they plant from just one opening on the underside of the planter. The berry planter has 15 ports to put plants in - so obviously it's more expensive to buy 15 plants rather than just 1 or 2.

And don't buy the planter thru the Topsy Turvy web site - it will cost you double of what you can pick it up for at a store in your area. Dollar stores, Walgreens, Kohl's, etc - just about everyone carries them now.

3Catcondo
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Sherbie, you are looking good!

Your planter looks great!