PDA

View Full Version : I am officially a college student.

Alysser
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
:D

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I didn't graduate yet, I think I still have 30 something days left of high school. Although, yesterday, I made my first college schedule. For all those wondering, I chose to go to the Community College. I went down to my top choice, which is only about an hour away. To be honest, I didn't like the campus, I just didn't feel right there. I don't want to dorm anyway. Tution would have been about $22,000 a year. The other college was about $21,000 WITHOUT dorming and my $5,000 scholarship. It's a private school. I just didn't think it was worth it.

Compared to $4,000 for the same classes, same quality of education, etc. I think I need to grow up a little more before I dorm somewhere anyway. I am excited though. :) Just thought I'd share the news with everyone. I still have alot to look forward to such as going to Prom, Prom weekend (We're going to Hershey Park!), Senior Week, and the last days of school.

caseysmom
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Good choice and the smart choice I believe you will get a great education for a great price then you can transfer as a junior.

Asiel
05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with Casey'smom on this . The most important thing is to feel comfortable wherever you choose to go so you can focus on your studies and get the best education possible. You'll know when you're ready to transfer.

Karen
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Congratulations on making the big decision, and knowing yourself well enough to make the right choice!

jennielynn1970
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Congrats on your decision!! I went to Community College before I started a 4 year school here, and I believe it helped me a lot! I was not an academic before I started (I was a business student), and it really taught me a lot about what was expected in the academic world. I went on to go to University of Pittsburgh, then Kutztown University when I finally picked my major of Library Science. I still look back on my community college days with fondness!!

Have fun during your last days of high school!!

Marigold2
05-07-2011, 03:06 PM
What a wise choice, you will love it. Congrats. Enjoy. :D:D

*LabLoverKEB*
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And a great decision! I'm so proud of you and happy for you, Alyssa!!!:love:

phesina
05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Excellent decision.. Congratulations to you and very best wishes.

Cheers!
Pat and cats

Roxyluvsme13
05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Perfect decision for you, Congratulations!

Those last 30 days will go by very quickly, enjoy them while they last!

Freedom
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Congratulations Alysser!!!

chocolatepuppy
05-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Congrats Alyssa! Enjoy the last bit of school you have left!:D

Scooter's Mom
05-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Congratulations!

Suki Wingy
05-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Congrats! I am just now looking at going back to college myself!
Are you planning on transferring to a bigger school to finish your degree? I know the school I started out at had a transfer program where you could automatically transfer as a junior if you held a certain GPA.

Alysser
05-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks everyone! Eva, yes, I definitely plan on transferring to a 4 year University after. I have 2 schools in mind so far, 1 all the way across the country, and 1 where my parents may end up moving and where I can get a good internship at Disney. I still have to look at more schools of course, but we'll see. :D I plan on getting at least a Master's because my major kind of requires it. But it's all good, I saved a whole lot of money going to Community College.

smokey the elder
05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Congratulations! That's a good option, and one that more and more folks are choosing, now that college has gotten so pricey. You can sock away money, hopefully, during the two years and ultimately graduate with much less debt. Also, if you make good grades you might be able to get scholarships/fellowships for your junior and senior years.

Good luck!

lvpets2002
05-10-2011, 09:27 AM
:) Many Congrats.. And yes you are already making some great decisions.. I just know you will do real well..

k9krazee
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
That's awesome, Alyssa!

K9karen
05-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Plus....you'll still be with Mikey!

Congratulations and have a blast with all the senior activities!

Karen
05-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks everyone! Eva, yes, I definitely plan on transferring to a 4 year University after. I have 2 schools in mind so far, 1 all the way across the country, and 1 where my parents may end up moving and where I can get a good internship at Disney. I still have to look at more schools of course, but we'll see. :D I plan on getting at least a Master's because my major kind of requires it. But it's all good, I saved a whole lot of money going to Community College.

What is your major going to be?

Alysser
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks so much guys! YES, being with Mikey for two more years shall be fun. :p

Karen, my major is either going to be Zoology/Wildlife Science or Ecology. I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking Zoology. I want to eventually work in a National Park or for the EPA.

emily_the_spoiled
05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Congratulations! You made the right choice. If the school didn't "feel right" you would not have enjoyed it. I think that going the CC route is definitely the way to go now.

dab_20
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
How exciting Alyssa! Enjoy your last days of high school. College, IMO, is soo much better though! Lots of new and interesting people to meet, so much easier to make friends. I go to the community college near me, too, and still live with my mom. I am really glad I live with her; I still get freedom to do what I want but yet she's still here to support me. You've got your whole life to live on your own and pay rent, why rush into it? ;)