PDA

View Full Version : Tonight is the premiere of My Cat From Hell

Medusa
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Saturday, May 7, 9 - 10 PM. That's tonight, folks. :) Below is more info:

For the first time on Animal Planet, the network will utilize a man who “speaks the language of cats” to tackle feisty felines and the human bonds they have threatened to break in the new series MY CAT FROM HELL. In this three-part mini-series premiering on Saturday, May 7 at 9 PM. (ET/PT), cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy brings his unique understanding of kitty nature to relationships on the verge of collapse due to aggressive a...nd sometimes violent felines.

At first glance, Galaxy appears tough – with a shaved head, stylish goatee and multiple cat-themed tattoos – but his looks can be deceiving. When he forms a personal connection with problem cats and mentors couples in crisis and desperate to hold onto their furry companions, his softer side emerges. Armed with his trademark guitar case filled with cat toys and training aides, he investigates the reasons why these cats have evolved from cute kittens into unruly felines. Then, utilizing his 15 years of experience and proven training techniques perfected at countless animal shelters and in private consultations, Jackson works with both the cats and their owners in hopes of curbing their habits and rescuing them from these nightmare situations.

In each episode, viewers witness first-hand, in-home accounts of cat guardians struggling to reign in their feisty felines and once again find domestic harmony, including one woman’s emotional dilemma after moving cross country to live with her boyfriend only to discover that his cat does not want her there. In another story, Jackson attempts to save a fiancé who realizes he hates his bride-to-be’s cat and its dangerous habit of going from calm to vicious at a moment’s notice. With limited time and tons of work to do, it’s a race against the clock to save these relationships and the cats before it’s too late.

“I truly believe that I can walk into anyone’s home and use my special skills to resolve their cat issues, whether caused by the owner, the feline or both,” says Jackson. “If it keeps one cat out of a shelter or off the street, I know I have done my job.”

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you letting us know this. Mr. Spunky is not unruly, but he is VERY demanding and HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I will watch if I don't fall asleep. I guess my DVR might come in handy here.

Medusa
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
I think it'll probably be a good show for those who try to socialize ferals or semi-ferals. We'll see.

3Catcondo
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Sounds interesting, I'll set the DVR in case a dark, handsome man calls or I need to check my eyelids for holes...LOL!!!!
Thanks Mary

:)

Amy

maerlyn
05-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Just what I've been hoping for: a Cat Whisperer! :cool: Maybe I can figure out how to keep Blue from harassing Althea. (Have you noticed that Blue gets into a lot of trouble? :rolleyes:)

chocolatepuppy
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I'll try to watch!:D Too bad they didn't have this show while my Sassy was still with me!;)

krazyaboutkatz
05-08-2011, 01:39 AM
I didn't even know about it but I had Animal Planet on so I was able to watch it. It was a great show and I learned even more about cats.:) I've seen this man on some other Animal Planet shows about cats before. One was a contest for America's Cutest Cat.

Medusa
05-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I reminded everyone then forgot about it myself. :rolleyes: I did watch the second half, though, and I loved it. When I saw the cat who sat in his litterbox, I felt bad b/c that's what my Specs used to do. He's still so very timid, won't show himself at all when company is here, especially my son for some reason. (I can assure you that my son loves him, he loves all my cats and we can't figure out why Specs is so afraid when he's here. He stays in the basement and as soon as my son goes out the door, Specs will come out. My son feels so bad about it and so do I.) Anyhow, Specs is no longer sitting in the litterbox but he's still so timid. If even I make a sudden move, he bolts. I've had him for nearly 10 years so if he was abused before I rescued him, you would think he'd be more secure by now. I'm going to be sure to watch the show if it's on every week.

chocolatepuppy
05-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Great show!!!:D

mrspunkysmom
05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
He didn't address my problems (emotionally needy cat) last night, but he might in future shows. On the plus side, it feels good to know that for these last several years, I've been doing most of what he suggested to make the cats feel at home and yet access their "wild side". By that I mean that they have access to high places, be it open cabinets or cat trees, I let them direct the play time, and I let them determine how they want to be loved.

I was tickled pink at the suggestions he was giving these people. I'm sure Pet Talk people naturally arrange their homes to accommodate their pets and not the other way around, but not everyone understands that pets have needs other than food and water.

PS I have the cat furniture for the cats and myself. They have their furniture and usually leave mine alone because of that. :D

Medusa
05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
He didn't address my problems (emotionally needy cat) last night, but he might in future shows. On the plus side, it feels good to know that for these last several years, I've been doing most of what he suggested to make the cats feel at home and yet access their "wild side". By that I mean that they have access to high places, be it open cabinets or cat trees, I let them direct the play time, and I let them determine how they want to be loved.

Yep, I felt good about that, too, except that he doesn't advocate closing off rooms to them. I have a room that's closed off b/c it's furniture, etc. from my office that I closed down. It's Victorian, lots of tassles, fringe, etc., things that none of my Fur Posse can leave alone. Besides, it's where I go to get away and really think. They don't care, though. They don't sit outside the door and cry or anything. They have the run of the rest of the house and they're content w/that.

mrspunkysmom
05-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Yep, I felt good about that, too, except that he doesn't advocate closing off rooms to them. I have a room that's closed off b/c it's furniture, etc. from my office that I closed down. It's Victorian, lots of tassles, fringe, etc., things that none of my Fur Posse can leave alone. Besides, it's where I go to get away and really think. They don't care, though. They don't sit outside the door and cry or anything. They have the run of the rest of the house and they're content w/that.

I'm sitting on the fence on that decision. I can understand your reasoning on that one. Sometimes I take myself out to eat if I don't feel like sharing.

My only issues are that Spunky will not let me eat in the evenings in peace. He has to have my attention or my food. Giving him some tidbits usually satisfies this need and he leaves. He doesn't always want my food. Sometimes it's my attention he needs.

He also doesn't like the computer. It's competition.

Medusa
05-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I had an emotionally needy cat, too, my RB Boo Bear. He lived to be almost 20 and he never did get over the neediness. As she got older and became ill, the neediness became worse but I indulged it b/c he was always such a good boy, never a moment's trouble. I miss all my RB kitties but I miss Boo most of all. Unless it's a really big problem for you, I'd say to indulge it. If he isn't destructive, there are worse things. Just my opinion, of course, which ain't worth much. LOL

Karen
05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
It always surprises me what some people don't know - like the first couple who didn't know that a cat with a twitching tail is "danger, danger!" I remember my dad telling me that when I was maybe 4 years old. (Before I was allergic to kitties, and was enthusiastically petting one of my cousin's cats ...) Thanks to early instruction on paying attention to such signals, I have only been scratched by cats twice - and both times they were serious about wanting to nail me. The first was when I was doing homework over a friend's house, and I dropped my pencil. It rolled under the couch, so I just reached under to snag it - and got nailed! Dawn then said "oops, forgot to tell you - that's where Kitty lives, and if it rolls under there, it's hers!" The second - a longer story for another day ...

Medusa
05-08-2011, 08:38 AM
It always surprises me what some people don't know - like the first couple who didn't know that a cat with a twitching tail is "danger, danger!"

How true. This reminds me of the video of the newswoman who was at a shelter and was holding a cat and saying "As you can see, this cat is having fun". Meanwhile, it was growling and the tail was flying and I thought "This girl is gonna get it" and BAM! That cat went after her and really scratched her to the point where she cried. I did not feel sorry for her.

Medusa
05-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Although, I do have to add that my Boo LOVED to twitch his tail. He'd sit on my legs and I wouldn't touch him at all and that tail would be going flip, flip, flip. He would purr like a little motor boat. But that's when you have to read the other signals that they're flashing to you.

Taz_Zoee
05-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I just happened to catch the last half of the show late last night. I think it's a great show! I will set it up to record when I get home. I love that he carries a guitar case with his supplies in it. :D

mrspunkysmom
05-08-2011, 01:38 PM
...... Unless it's a really big problem for you, I'd say to indulge it. If he isn't destructive, there are worse things. Just my opinion, of course, which ain't worth much. LOL

Oh, I already do. It causes less stress to indulge. However, when I really need to eat due to low blood sugar or need to finish a project, I have considered confining him to a room for an hour. I can't type or eat if he is laying across my breasts.

Medusa
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I just happened to catch the last half of the show late last night. I think it's a great show! I will set it up to record when I get home. I love that he carries a guitar case with his supplies in it. :D

I liked the look that he gave the boyfriend who hated his girlfriend's cats. Whew!

maerlyn
05-08-2011, 03:04 PM
As with several of you, I caught only the last half; the first half, I was on the phone with a friend who'd just had her 10-year-old cat sent to the Bridge - her second loss in 7 weeks!

Anyway, I was interested in the timid cat because Mordred is ridiculously so. Just as at Mary's house - Mordred hides whenever anyone at all comes - even my son. When Mordred was a kitten, Sean & I would try to get Mordred over his fear; Sean would sit on the floor and hold him, pet him - all to no avail. Heck, Mordred runs & hides when the phone rings!:rolleyes: His hiding place is to crawl under the comforter on my bed. I can always tell if someone pulls into the driveway - Mordred runs and hides. :( When Althea became part of the family, I thought (well, hoped, anyway) that she would influence Mordred not to be scared of everyone. You might know it worked the other way: now she runs and hides whenever he does. :rolleyes: What's a mother to do?:confused: Mordred's 10 now, so I've given up hope of his ever becoming social.

jennielynn1970
05-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a show I'll have to watch. My Jorgie is such a fraidy cat. He's semi feral, doesn't like to be held, touched or anything. I've had him since 2004, and he's just the same as when he came to me from the shelter. I let him be, and pet him on his terms, and basically that's it. Hope to catch the show in the future!

Medusa
05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
As with several of you, I caught only the last half; the first half, I was on the phone with a friend who'd just had her 10-year-old cat sent to the Bridge - her second loss in 7 weeks!

Anyway, I was interested in the timid cat because Mordred is ridiculously so. Just as at Mary's house - Mordred hides whenever anyone at all comes - even my son. When Mordred was a kitten, Sean & I would try to get Mordred over his fear; Sean would sit on the floor and hold him, pet him - all to no avail. Heck, Mordred runs & hides when the phone rings!:rolleyes: His hiding place is to crawl under the comforter on my bed. I can always tell if someone pulls into the driveway - Mordred runs and hides. :( When Althea became part of the family, I thought (well, hoped, anyway) that she would influence Mordred not to be scared of everyone. You might know it worked the other way: now she runs and hides whenever he does. :rolleyes: What's a mother to do?:confused: Mordred's 10 now, so I've given up hope of his ever becoming social.

It's frustrating, isn't it! Right now Specs is snoozing behind my computer. My girlfriends came for a visit and he was fine. I just never know how he's going to react. He's doing better than he used to but he's still scared to death of my son who says that the next time he visits, he's coming armed w/treats but Specs doesn't really care for any treats so I give him little pieces of Buddig chicken, which he loves. Guess he'll have to try that and see if Specs will come out. He so badly wants to make Specs a friend. He says goodbye to the Fur Posse when he leaves and then stands at the top of the basement steps and says "I know you're down there, Specs buddy. See ya next time. Or not." LOL

krazyaboutkatz
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I liked the look that he gave the boyfriend who hated his girlfriend's cats. Whew!
Me too. I also liked that at the end the boyfriend got much more into the cats and he even said something like "When I walk my cat" and then he caught himself saying "my cat" so he was converted from liking only dogs to liking both cats and dogs.:)

My Ziggy also hides every time some one comes over. Pearl, Alani, & Blaze will also sometimes hide. Sky is so dog like that he thinks people have come by to see him.:) Storm won't hide but if he's napping he won't bother to come out to see who it is.

Medusa
05-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Me too. I also liked that at the end the boyfriend got much more into the cats and he even said something like "When I walk my cat" and then he caught himself saying "my cat" so he was converted from liking only dogs to liking both cats and dogs.:)

Yes, you're right, I should've included that. It's so nice to see someone who never liked cats become a convert. :)

catmandu
05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I wish he would speak to Scrappy Two , so I can give her her medications.
I love Scrappy Two, but she can be stubborn:(

Freckles
05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
New episodes starting June 4th.

catnapper
05-23-2011, 05:58 AM
I DVRed all 3 episodes and watched them this weekend. I LOVED the show. He's awesome and the people were able to turn their behavior around to give their cats a happy life.

I always knew my guys loved being up high, and gave them their space, so its nice to see I've done something right :) But now I want to add shelves and perches in every room throughout the house

Taz_Zoee
05-23-2011, 09:41 AM
We caught up on all the episodes this weekend while in Tahoe. We watched Animal Planet for over 3 hours!! :D Caught the last part of the Lulu and Sully episode again too. But my boyfriend watched with me and was also amazed at Jackson. :) Oh, and there was an episode of Me or the Dog in the middle too. hee hee

happylabs
02-06-2012, 11:48 AM

I just saw this show over the weekend. I think I watched 2 episodes in a row. I really did not care for the guy of the couple that were going to get married. He was using the cat against her and saying he wasn't going to get married until the cat issue was worked out. I honestly did not like this guy at all. I'm wondering if that is the one you were talking about. Anyway, I do feel the cat was picking up vibes that the guy didn't like him.

Jackson Galaxy is awesome! I love this guy.

OHHHHH...and on one of the episodes the boyfriend or fiance, I'm not sure which, was actually hitting the cat for being afraid and hissing. That really made me mad. :mad:

catmandu
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
The sad thing is that Cats are creatures of habit and if they have been treated badly as Kittens they tend to react to all humans as being potential abusers.;)
I have had some experience with Porch Cats and I have found that letting them come to you is the best way to build friendships.:love: