PDA

View Full Version : PetArmor Plus?

Roxyluvsme13
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
It's a new flea product that's out that is supposed to be the generic of Frontline Plus.

Just wondering if anyone had tried it/had anything to say about it.

I'm always weary of over the counter flea medicine, but my mom called me and said she saw this one on a commercial being recommended by a vet. If it's as good as Frontline plus, it would be worth a shot and it's half the price... However, I'm not going to use it unless I know more about it.

Any information from anyone?

ETA: It has the same ingredients as Frontline Plus also.

pomtzu
05-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I saw an ad for it on t.v. too, and was wondering about it. At half price, it would be a good deal if it works!

Freedom
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Sold at Walmart and Sam's Club --?? Makes me skeptical.

I did a Google search, saw many many forums where folks are asking about it, did not see anyone posting who either had used it, or had (yet) asked their vet about it. Lots intend to ask their vet.

It is a new product; I would rather wait and see how others react to it.

I saw 1 person speculate that patents on meds expire and that is when generics come out on the market. But that person said s/he didn't know if this applied in this case.

Also found this 1 caution:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110423175327AAKRHBx

Be very careful...these Frontline imitations may use the same ingredients but the concentrations are not the same. Many pets have already become ill from these new imitation products and they haven't been out very long.
Source(s):
vet tech for 38 years

Roxyluvsme13
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I saw an ad for it on t.v. too, and was wondering about it. At half price, it would be a good deal if it works!
Exactly what I was thinking.

Sold at Walmart and Sam's Club --?? Makes me skeptical.

I did a Google search, saw many many forums where folks are asking about it, did not see anyone posting who either had used it, or had (yet) asked their vet about it. Lots intend to ask their vet.

It is a new product; I would rather wait and see how others react to it.

I saw 1 person speculate that patents on meds expire and that is when generics come out on the market. But that person said s/he didn't know if this applied in this case.

Also found this 1 caution:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110423175327AAKRHBx

Be very careful...these Frontline imitations may use the same ingredients but the concentrations are not the same. Many pets have already become ill from these new imitation products and they haven't been out very long.
Source(s):
vet tech for 38 years
Yeah, I did a little bit of googling also and found some of these same things. A lot of sites said that the patent for Frontline Plus has expired and that was why they released PetArmor.

One site said that they use the exact same amounts of all the things in it, so it should have the same effect.

I might try it and see how it goes, if it works fine on Lily's sensitive skin then there shouldn't be much of a problem with it, I'm still a bit skeptical though.

wolfsoul
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
One of the lists I'm on had a big discussion about Frontline Plus; Seems there were ALOT of issues caused by it, anything from severe allergic reaction to seizures. Alot of the same people had no issues with regular Frontline, but many people also found it didn't work.
So anything with the same ingredients would be too scary for me. Myself, I don't use any chemicals on my dogs.

Roxyluvsme13
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
One of the lists I'm on had a big discussion about Frontline Plus; Seems there were ALOT of issues caused by it, anything from severe allergic reaction to seizures. Alot of the same people had no issues with regular Frontline, but many people also found it didn't work.
So anything with the same ingredients would be too scary for me. Myself, I don't use any chemicals on my dogs.
We've used Frontline Plus before and haven't had any issues with it on Lily or Tallulah; however, I read a lot of issues coming up with Frontline Plus when I was trying to find info about PetArmor.

How do you not use anything? Do you not have a flea problem or do you have some other method to control it??? I would be happy not using anything, but the girls always get fleas really bad :/

wolfsoul
05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Up here the climate is really dry and we don't have a flea problem, however lice is REALLY bad up here. I don't envy those with flea problems lol, lice are alot easier to get rid of. Visa got them once and I washed her in all natural laundry detergent (believe it or not -- we used this on all our lice dogs at work) because the main ingredient was coconut, and parasites hate coconut. On the list I'm on, people post recipes for a smelly (in a good way lol) concoction that keeps fleas away. A mix of different herbs and essences etc. I'd probably go that route first. I know what you mean though, if it's a huge problem chemicals are the best way to go to kill them. I just hate the idea of them.

MonicanHonda
05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Live in a flea/tick infested area, but do not use pesticides on my dogs. Frontline has caused many reactions and... if it tells me to rinse it off myself, I don't really want to put it on my dog. I use a combination. Sometimes I use Cedarcide

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/green_pest_control.html

which works awesomely. Kills on contact. And I also use a neem oil. You can also rub edible diatomacious earth on your dogs for protection. Sure, I have to do this a lot more than once a month but it's worth it to me. I'll take the time.

Roxyluvsme13
05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Up here the climate is really dry and we don't have a flea problem, however lice is REALLY bad up here. I don't envy those with flea problems lol, lice are alot easier to get rid of. Visa got them once and I washed her in all natural laundry detergent (believe it or not -- we used this on all our lice dogs at work) because the main ingredient was coconut, and parasites hate coconut. On the list I'm on, people post recipes for a smelly (in a good way lol) concoction that keeps fleas away. A mix of different herbs and essences etc. I'd probably go that route first. I know what you mean though, if it's a huge problem chemicals are the best way to go to kill them. I just hate the idea of them.
Wow, that must be nice having no flea problems! I couldn't imagine lice though, those are awful. At least you can use natural routes to get rid of fleas, I'm envious!

Live in a flea/tick infested area, but do not use pesticides on my dogs. Frontline has caused many reactions and... if it tells me to rinse it off myself, I don't really want to put it on my dog. I use a combination. Sometimes I use Cedarcide

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/green_pest_control.html

which works awesomely. Kills on contact. And I also use a neem oil. You can also rub edible diatomacious earth on your dogs for protection. Sure, I have to do this a lot more than once a month but it's worth it to me. I'll take the time.
I'll have to look into some of this stuff. Sounds like interesting alternatives.

I haven't had any problems with Frontline on either dog or cat though, so I'm not sure what we'll end up doing.