PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that roam

samualjcat
11-16-2000, 04:19 PM
I have a shepherd/husky/possible wolf mix. Any chance she gets, she's off for parts unknown. She is about 6 yrs. old so is a bit stubborn where retraining is concerned. We tried keeping her in a kennel (she can jump the 5 ft sides from a sit), now she is on a cable run. As strong as she is she has pulled out the cable bolts or broken the cable. She has even had a car/dog accident (no injuries) and still she runs.

Any ideas? Or is it just her "nature" to want to be on the move?

RachelJ
11-17-2000, 11:05 AM
Where is Carrie and Ryan? We definitely need their input on this one. My Hannah will take off like a rocket if she accidently gets out. We've discovered it is best not to chase her as she goes farther if she sees us in the vicinity and now we know she will come back on her own. She knows the word "come" backwards and forwards until times when it is needed. Luckily she can't escape our back yard, but accidents do happen, like the time I leaned up the garage wall and hit the garage door opener.

carrie
11-18-2000, 03:38 AM
I'm here!! My computer has had a bout of flu or something and hasn't felt up to doing ANYTHING! It seems to feel better now though.
First of all the age of your dog is not a barrier to retraining. It is a question of dominance and finding the right motivation for your dog to respond to. Practice, practice, practice in short sessions several times a day and keep your enthusiasm as high as possible. In other words - fake it! Training sessions are the most enjoyable exciting thing in your life and only get better when the dog obeys. Food, toys, high pitched voice, cuddles or a mixture of them can be used as rewards. Your dog is not a trained dog if it ever fails to respond to the recall. Try going back to the basics with true enthusiasm. Once your dog understands a command don't be afraid to correct disobedience.
Secondly try lots of free running and playtime with other dogs, either in a fenced area or an indoor barn. Excersise is important and so is free time for a dog as long as its mind is occupied at training times.
Thirdly either keep your dog in the house or in a run with a roof.If the dog is a digger put paving slabs in the run. This is only an option if the dog is getting plenty of excersise and training. It is vital that you ensure the dog is safe and can not escape, your dog only has to find a friend to play with or a cat to chase and it may roam into an area that it can't get home from. Add to that the risks from traffic and concerned members of the public and you risk losing your dog every time it is out of your control. Remember also it is still your responsibility even when out of your control.
Put simply train your dog, it can be done. An older dog with a stubborn streak is my favourite! They are a challenge and once you have their respect and attention they are so rewarding! A good training calss is a good starting point - remember to practice what you are taught at home as well. And only leave your dog in a safe, enclosed run or in the house.

samualjcat
11-18-2000, 11:56 AM
Carrie.......thanks for all the advice! Looks like I'll be spending less time at the computer and more time rehashing basics 101 out in the yard. Poor Indy won't know what hit her! She always comes back on the recall (unless she's out or hearing range) so I guess we have the first hurdle out of the way. I'll dig out the treats and get to work. Hopefully, I'll survive this challenge and she will start staying home. Just out of curiousity, her main temptation is the neighbor's chickens. Not to eat but the run and chase. If I did some training around my own chickens would this be enough to show her that they are off limits and not her toys?

Ryan
11-18-2000, 01:13 PM
posted by samualjcat:
Any ideas? Or is it just her "nature" to want to be on the move?>>>>>>

Roaming is a natural behavior which dates back to the wolf. Some dogs instincts are much stronger than others.
Usually male dogs that are not neutured can have a tendacy to roam. Once a dog has gotten in a habit of roaming it is much
harder to break this habit, for the outside area has become his or her territory.

Lets rule out any medical problems which could be a very small possibility.

Tips to stop a dog from Roaming.

1)Keep the dog from getting bored.
Dogs are social animals and need
interraction, excerize and companionship.
2) obediece training not only will make your dog more enjoyable to live with, but it also
creats a stronger bond between you and the dog.
3) Make your yard is escape proof. IF that means adding 2 more feet to your fence than do it. Also make shure that the dog can not dig under the fence.
4) training tips.
Get yourself a lung line about 15-20' in lengh. Attach the lungle line to choke chain on dog.
At first use about 7 feet of the lunge line and leave the gate open. If the dog
leaves the front gate with out your permission than yell "OUT" giving the dog
a quick correction by a quick jerk with of the lunge line. Continue the above in two or three 5 minute sessions each day. Giving the dog more freedom with the lung line, correcting him once he leaves the gate. IF dog does not leave
the gate than make shure you PRAISE.
Once dog has this down pat, Get a can and fill it up with penny's. Leave the
gate open and hide behind the side or front of the house. (Make shure you can keep an eye on the dog with-out her seeing you.)
If the dog starts to approach you than
jump out yelling "OUT" shaking the can.
This should startle the dog. Than take
dog back inside the yard.
Continue the above daily lenghening each time you you hide. (make shure you Praise the dog when the dog stays in the backyard.

Same method for the front door.
Attach lung line to dog.
Repeat each steps as mentioned above
for short 5 minute sessions 2 or 3 times per day.
IF dog bolts out the door, than quick
correction.
As dog catches on use the whole length of the
lung line and sit around the corner or in a chair in another room where the dog thinks you are not paying attention to him or her.
IF dog leaves the front door, than repeat
with a swift correction.
Once dog has this down pat continue with next step.
(Never move on to the the next step till
you are positive dog has learned the last step.)
Next step you will need the help of a friend.
Have the friend hide in the front yard
behind a bush etc. with the can of penny's.
Leave the front door open. If the dog
leaves the front door and as the dog approches semi close, have the person
jump out yelling "OUT" and shaking the can of penny's. Than return to dog back into the house.

carrie
11-18-2000, 01:58 PM
Getting your dog used to your own chickens will safegaurd them and may make your neighbours less interesting. Your dog may, however, just see this as your chickens are not for chasing but the neighbours are on another territory and so still fair game. The idea given by Ryan may also work but one mistake while you are not around and the dog will realise when it is safe to leave the yard and when it is prudent to stay in it.
A dog that has regular training sessions and plenty of excersise is much better off and safer if it is in the house or in an enclosure when you are not able to control it.

Ryan
11-18-2000, 03:07 PM
posted by carrie:
The idea given by Ryan may also work but one mistake while you are not around and the dog will realise when it is safe to leave the yard and when it is prudent to stay in it.
A dog that has regular training sessions and plenty of excersise is much better off and safer if it is in the house or in an enclosure when you are not able to control it.>>>>>>

Maybe I did not make myself clear.
In simple terms, I am not giving a choice of
tips 1-4. You are to use ALL the tips combined. Which includes:
tip 1: Keeping your dog from getting BORED which includes EXERCIZE.
Tip 2: OBEDIENCE taining.
Tip 3: making shure your dog is SECURE and safe in a yard, by making your yard ESCAPE proof.

Tip 4: A training lesson that is specifically designed to teach a dog from leaving a yard, not to be used inliu of the daily OBEDIENCE lesson.

Hope this better explains my post.

samualjcat
11-18-2000, 11:17 PM
Thanks to all for your ideas. I'll do my best to put them to use. The only one that is a problem is having an escape proof yard. We rent a home in the country with a yard of about 1.5 acres. It is not an option for us to fence it in. I hope some boundary training will work there.

Again, thanks a bunch.

carrie
11-19-2000, 03:22 AM
Sorry Ryan, me being a duh - it's not unusual sadly! See what you mean now so I will reword!

The ideas given by Ryan will work.

Seriously, even in a rented place you can erect an enclosure with a roof to make sure your dog is safe. The only other option is to leave the dog in the house unless you are with it. ( My own dogs are inside unless someone is with them as we have very low fences. I have never had an escapee and never seen one try to!)