PDA

View Full Version : Is this happening with anyone else`s computer?

ChrisH
11-03-2002, 05:12 PM
When I click on to some threads my computer starts to check something, either the hard drive and or the floppy disk! Makes a noise like when I bring up clean disk. I have been elsewhere on the web but it only happens on Pet Talk. It started, or I should say I first noticed it, earlier today with Wolf Qs Nebo need your help and Cookiebakers New Malone pic, threads. It is now happening with other threads too. Anyone out there know what Im talking about?

Freckles
11-03-2002, 05:16 PM
No problems here! Don't recognize your symptoms.

COCatMama
11-03-2002, 05:21 PM
uuuuh ooooh
mine is doing that too!!! AAAAACKKKKKK :eek: :confused:

All Creatures Great And Small
11-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Wow, how weird - now that you mention it, my PC did that today too, and the chances are good that I was on PT when it happened, since I'm on here a lot:D It hasn't done it yet during this session, though. The problem I have, which makes me nuts, is when I am on cheesy America Online and I navigate to a site that has sound on it, like a wav or midi file. As soon as I exit that type of site or try to navigate anywhere on it, I get booted off of AOL - it just vaporizes, and I'm staring at my desktop. Nobody at AOL or Microsoft has been able to explain this or help me. There is nothing that makes me crazier than trying to troubleshoot PC problems:mad:

trisha0503
11-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Thank God, I'm not alone! Yes it's also happening to me.. I use AOL, but it only happens here at Pet Talk. A window appears once in a while with a message 'No disk in Drive A: ....'.

i don't know why is this happening...:(

ChrisH
11-03-2002, 05:51 PM
I`m not on AOL we don`t have that in common, but, like you wrote trisha, "Thank God I`m not alone". Funny thing is that some threads are fine, no problem. I tried to find a common denominator but I can`t. It`s all beyond me, well, to be honest anything beyond simple in the computer department is beyond me! :) Anyway, I`ve PM`d Karen to let her know, and I am sure if there is anything to worry about she and Paul will sort it out.
I am going offline soon, bedtime coming up for me. Goodnight all!:)

Cataholic
11-03-2002, 06:08 PM
The first time I read this thred, I was like, "thank goodness, for once I don't have any computer issues"...but, now, half hour later, my computer has done it TWICE!!! It is as if it is searching my c drive to read from it...strange.

Karen
11-03-2002, 06:17 PM
With some web browsers, you will hear the hard disk being accessed whenever an image in an animated gif changes. Many people have animated gifs now in their signature files, and as their avatars. It is not the images fault, it is the browser or the operating system's fault. You could try clearing your cache, or giving your browser more memory.

jenluckenbach
11-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Yes, that happened today.

jenluckenbach
11-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Karen
With some web browsers, you will hear the hard disk being accessed whenever an image in an animated gif changes. Many people have animated gifs now in their signature files, and as their avatars. It is not the images fault, it is the browser or the operating system's fault. You could try clearing your cache, or giving your browser more memory.
But it only happened on one particular thread. (can't remember which)
And, sorry for being stupid, but i don't know how to do either of those two suggestions.

boscibo
11-03-2002, 06:32 PM
I know what it is, it happened to me too. Someone in a thread here (can't remember which one it is, I htink a photo posting thread) tried to post a link to a picture from their "A" drive. On most people's computers that is the floppy drive, so when it looks for that picture, it checks your "A" drive.

Karen
11-03-2002, 06:33 PM
It depends on what system you use (Mac/Windows - what version, etc.) and what browser. I'm on a Mac, and in Netscape. To give more memory to Netscape, I would have to fid the application, click on it, then hit "Get Info" and go to memory, and type in a bigger number. To clear my image cache, I would have to go to my "preferences" selection under the Edit menu, then, in that dialog box, scroll down to advanced, and hit "clear disc cache now."

If none of this helps, post what your operating system is, and what browser you are using, and I'll try to help.

COCatMama
11-03-2002, 06:53 PM
I virus scanned...nada and it hasn't done the scanning A drive thing in awhile.

Cookiebaker
11-03-2002, 07:10 PM
YES!!!!! It just started today, and I tried to describe it to my husband. I kept clicking on threads to try and make it happen & it wouldn't. But it just happened before again. I don't understand it, and why it just started happening today. :confused:

Cookiebaker
11-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Ha! Mark just heard it now...I'm not crazy! :D

Sudilar
11-03-2002, 07:16 PM
I just got it here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16542&pagenumber=2

jenluckenbach
11-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Just in case you can help me, I have windows 95 (and don't laugh) and microsoft explorer

boscibo
11-03-2002, 08:48 PM
It is a picture in Icyshiver's signature. Right click on the picture (red X) in her signature line, and it is looking for a picture on the "A" drive. There is nothing wrong with your computers, but until Icyshiver changes her sig, it will continue to look for the picture on your "A" drive too - because that is where the link is pointing to. That is also why the picture in her sig is not showing up for anyone - you can't link from your floppy drive to the internet.

luckies4me
11-03-2002, 08:53 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem for about two weeks!:mad: When I click links it either looks through my computer, loads a game or the link is clicked but the page never loads. Then I have to click the link AGAIN and it gets really annoying! It also happens to me in another forum which is hosted by the same people. So I believe it has to do with whoever hosts these forums.

Uabassoon
11-03-2002, 10:24 PM
I have the same problem too. When I click on some thread I let a box on my screen about putting a disk in my A drive. THen my computer makes that noise like it's looking for a disk.

wolf_Q
11-04-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
I just got it here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16542&pagenumber=2

I had never noticed this happening to me before (well I think it has, but I don't know if it was at Pet Talk or not) but when I clicked on that link it happened to me also.

mugsy
11-04-2002, 05:30 AM
Nothing happened to mine.

Pam
11-04-2002, 05:35 AM
It has happened to me too but I don't remember which specific thread I was on at the time.

Yep, this is where it is happening. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Sudilar
I just got it here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16542&pagenumber=2 [/QUOTE

ChrisH
11-04-2002, 06:27 AM
bosibo you are a star! :) :) Now if only icyshiver would remove her sig pic....

AdoreMyDogs
11-04-2002, 06:27 AM
It's happening to mine quite often.

cottoncandy
11-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Ok this is what I think I think it is just the ppl that have pics because everyone ive talked to that dont have pics its not doing it and everyone who does it is doing it.

iceyshiver21
11-04-2002, 06:49 PM
im sorry ya its my sig, i removed it now, i feel so bad, for scaring you all, its beacuse my sig was on a disk and you A drive is your disk drive, so thats why it does that sorry. :(

slleipnir
11-04-2002, 07:30 PM
It doesn't happen to me at all? I think karen was right about the browsers..I use IE on an IBM comp..Itcould also be slower comps trying to load the pics..Isn't it the same noice it makes as when you 1st load a program??

aly
11-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Haha, it happened to me this morning and scared me too! I didn't relate it to Pet Talk, I just closed everything and ran virus scan and was confused when I came up with nothing.

Don't worry about it iceyshiver! No harm done :)

ellensy
11-05-2002, 11:02 AM
hehe, and i thought my computer's gone crazy in the middle of the night.....

:D :D ;)