PDA

View Full Version : So Sad

sparks19
04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
for anyone who watches the eagle cam from norfolk I just found out the sad news

The female eagle has been killed. She was hit by a plane The rangers are going to keep an eye on the nest and intervene with the babies if nessecary. the male has returned to the nest and has fed the eaglets but it is not known if he will be able to handle the task of feeding three eaglets on his own as well as himself.

My mom and I have been watching these eagles raise their young for 3 years. I really had tears in my eyes when I read this.

So So sad

mrspunkysmom
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
That is so sad. I wish the eaglets, the rangers, and the papa eagle luck.

lizbud
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Damn, that's terrible.:( Very sad.:( Where is the nest? What state?

sparks19
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
sorry I should have included the link. duh

They are in norfolk Virginia in the botanical gardens

http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/eagle-cam.html

They are removing the eaglets today and taking them to the wildlife center to raise and then release them. They feared that at the age they are now if they left it too long to see if the father could keep up with the demand of feeding himself and three eaglets with growing calorie needs they might get to the point of no return where it would no longer be safe to remove them and they would then die if he couldn't provide and they couldn't remove them. (did that make sense?)

Anikaca77
04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
So sad...RIP dear sweet mom.

Taz_Zoee
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
This is very sad. I also got tears in my eyes. I am currently watching three bird web cams - two Peregrine Falcons (both here in California) and then the Eagle cam in Decorah, Iowa that someone posted here on Pet Talk.

Last year one of the falcon babies died and I cried!

At least they are monitoring the nest so they are able to help the babies.

sparks19
04-27-2011, 10:03 AM
They just removed the babies. I was watching the cam while they took them out. they are not in the car on the way to the wildlife center.

gini
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
This indeed is so sad. Thank goodness they are intervening immediately to save the three chicks. These magnificent eagles are so special.

lvpets2002
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
:love: WoW how so sad for the mom.. So glad they got the babies & will be taking care of them..

Catherinedana
04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I've been watching the Decorah Eagle nest on web cam since the 3rd chick hatched and I've become so attached to them. I visit every day for a while at work and then when I get home.

I'm so saddened to know that a mama eagle has been killed. . .with her poor babies and mate waiting for her at the nest, wondering where she is. I can imagine how confused and upset papa must be. And now his babies are gone :(

I hope they do well in their new environment and can be released as happy, healthy teenagers. Let us know if you hear anything else.

sparks19
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM
The father was actually with the mother when it happened. he was almost hit too but he managed to just barely get out of the way

Kirsten
05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Someone told me about this the other day... So sad!! Brought back the memories of our male stork who died in an accident 2009. Glad that the eaglets have been rescued. But how sad for the eagle dad who first lost his partner, and now the babies, too...

R.I.P. eagle mom!!