PDA

View Full Version : Weather Woes

Karen
04-26-2011, 11:30 AM
MidWesterners, please stay safe, and if you are told to evacuate, do so! I know one levee has broken already in Missouri. I know if you could, you'd send you excess rain down to poor parched Texas, but for now, just keep safe, okay?

As there are so many weather things happening, I figured I'd just give this a general title, and others can add to it or report in as time goes on!

cassiesmom
04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Chance of rain at least 50% for the next 36 hours. Rain, rain go away, preferably down to Texas.

lizbud
04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Chance of rain at least 50% for the next 36 hours. Rain, rain go away, preferably down to Texas.

We in Indy are under a Tornado watch till 10pm this evening. Had high
winds all day & rain for the past two weeks, This weather is seriously messing
with my good humor. I really would love to see the sun again soon.:(

I would gladly donate some or all of our rain to Texas.:)

pomtzu
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Stay safe PT'ers - those of you that are in the flood and tornado regions. The weather has been pretty wild lately, and looks like more of the same will continue.

Has anyone heard from "kaycountrygal"? She was posting on a very regular basis, but hasn't been on for a while. I know that she lives in the direct vicinity of the tornadoes that struck NC a couple of weeks ago. Prayers that she is safe.

The weather is rather crazy here too. In the span of 2 short days, the temp went from the 50's to the mid 80's. Too much too soon and hot for 3 days straight. Today it's not quite as hot as yesterday and there is a nice breeze to make it more comfortable. Temps are headed back down in the next few days tho - mid 60's is normal for this time of year. Yesterday it felt like July!!! :(

Karen
04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Well today was supposed to be 60's and rainy, instead was 70's - Dad had 80 degrees - and sunny, so we never really know what to expect!

chocolatepuppy
04-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Severe storms headed for Ohio tomorrow.:( We don't need any more rain.:rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Is anyone else experiencing the awfulness of thunderstorms and tornado watches/warnings? Here in Knoxville, we apparently had a tornado the other day, or something very similar to one at least. It was storming and there were high winds and there's a massive amount of damage around campus.

Roofs came off, windows broke, trees were rooted up, things like that.

Is anybody else experiencing these awful storms?

There's another one on the way right now, though it's just lightly raining this second.

And here's some pictures from a Knoxville news website if anybody wants to see the kind of damage that occurred throughout Knox.

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2011/apr/26/storm-aftermath---april-26-2011/32113/

Karen
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
As always, it could be worse, prayers for the people of Ecuador!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/04/26/ecuador.volcano/index.html

lvpets2002
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
:( Yes All the People in East TX & Arkansas needs Lots Of Prayers Now.. Sending Lots of Prayers.. They have been hit hard with Tornados & Flooding.. Eleven have died so far..

phesina
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Now that things are getting under control in West Texas!!... prayers and good wishes for East Texas and Arkansas and all the other places contending with all this extreme weather.. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:.

chocolatepuppy
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
That's awful. Stay safe. We're expecting severe storms until midnight here. :(

Marigold2
04-27-2011, 06:23 PM
How about having a storm check in? Everyone try and just say hello every 24 hours or so. If you are in need of help post that as well.
I am in Ohio, looks like rain but ok for now.

mrspunkysmom
04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Storm are supposed to be coming through tonight.

I'll keep in touch.

Karen
04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm going to merge this into the "Weather Woes" thread, created for the same purpose. Stay safe, everyone!

Roxyluvsme13
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm going to merge this into the "Weather Woes" thread, created for the same purpose. Stay safe, everyone!
Thanks, Karen. I didn't see this thread till after I posted mine.

So, we just got hit with 70 mile per hour winds apparently! And now the storm is heading towards my hometown where my mom and Lily and Tallulah are, so I'm hoping they'll stay safe and be okay.

We were sent to the basement of my dorm because we were on a tornado warning, we've had warnings all day and then we had a massive storm hit!

Oh, and I walked outside and got hit with rain and I Was like eh, okay, I'll be fine, and then on came the HAIL! It was golf ball sized, and really awful.

This hail caused broken windshields, dents in cars, and probably injuries to a couple of people. And there have been sirens going off throughout the night as well...

I also just learned that we have FIVE MORE STORMS COMING :(

Karen
04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Duck and cover, Bri!

Laura's Babies
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I have been praying and praying for all the people in the way of the storms and floods. It is heartbreaking to see the destruction on the news and hear the death toll. The video's of the actual tornado's are enough to give you nightmares! Please stay safe everyone.

Grace
04-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Just saw on the news that Tuscaloosa, Alabama was hit terribly today. The films they showed resembled what parts of Japan looked like after the earthquake and tsunami.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/04/28/us/28stormch_1/28stormch_1-custom5.jpg

Roxyluvsme13
04-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Duck and cover, Bri!
I did and will!

Just saw on the news that Tuscaloosa, Alabama was hit terribly today. The films they showed resembled what parts of Japan looked like after the earthquake and tsunami.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/04/28/us/28stormch_1/28stormch_1-custom5.jpg
So sad. I feel really awful for them because it could have been us here if the tornado hadn't bypassed us... There are already 40 deaths and the count is rising :(

Here's a video of what hit them in Tuscaloosa... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_3z8kzBIMc

ETA: Still thundering and lightning here... We're on another tornado watch pretty much all across the state of Tennessee.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Can somebody please tell me if St.Louis Missouri got hit too? We've lived there for 2 years and have several friends there....!!

pomtzu
04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Can somebody please tell me if St.Louis Missouri got hit too? We've lived there for 2 years and have several friends there....!!

St Louis airport took a hit over the weekend. Don't know of other damage to residences tho.

pomtzu
04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Wow - just heard on GMA the death toll so far from yesterday's storms stands at 128 and counting. That's a huge figure for tornados, since you normally hear of only a few. The pictures are truly unbelievable - Tuscaloosa looks like a war zone. My heart go out to all of them, and I'm sure all those affected would appreciate our prayers.
Some strong storms forecast for here today and some tornado warnings are up already.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-28-2011, 06:37 AM
St Louis airport took a hit over the weekend. Don't know of other damage to residences tho.

Was there a lot of damage??

pomtzu
04-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Was there a lot of damage??

I think it was just a lot of windows blown out in the main concourse, and things inside tossed around - damage to some planes too. Fortunately no injuries - and nothing compared to yesterday's storm damage. The airport has reopened, altho not at full capacity until all the damage is repaired.

kokopup
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I had lost around 15 trees to the storms that have rolled through here. I was working on cleanup yesterday and had to retreat to the safety of my safe room.
I had trees coming down around me. I am afraid to go out and look at my tree damage this morning. My safe room was full last night with family that did not have safe rooms in their home. Two different tornadoes went over us last night but because of the hilly terrain they were not on the ground as it they passed over. I am real fortunate since there have been many deaths and whole communities destroyed.

Karen
04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks for checking in, we are glad you are not only safe, but that you took in others, too, so they could stay safe as well. I hope you don't lose too many more trees!

Kirsten
04-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Saw an article this morning about how bad the weather/tornado situation is right now. Sounds really scary! Hope everyone will be safe!!

smokey the elder
04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
This may be bigger than the Super Outbreak of 1974. The weather has been very extreme this year. Good thoughts for everyone in the danger zone!

Bonny
04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
It looks like bad storms along the East Coast today. Praying everyone stays safe.

Around here we have basements to run into for cover.

I had a couple on tour last week & we hard tornado warnings out then. The couple were going to spend the night in a motel about an hours drive away & they wanted to know what to do. I told them stay away from the windows & head for the bathtub in the motel & cover themselves with pillows or whatever to protect themselves. They were from Denmark so not use to tornado's.

Queen of Poop
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Please, please stay safe everyone.

We're having MORE SNOW, but that's nothing compared to other parts of the world. It seems the world's weather has gone crazy!

lvpets2002
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
:( It is all so so Horrible.. Death toll is close to 250 now.. Sending Lots & Lots of Prayers..

smokey the elder
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Please, please stay safe everyone.

We're having MORE SNOW, but that's nothing compared to other parts of the world. It seems the world's weather has gone crazy!

It sure is. Something's messing with the weather big time. Fortunately where I live I haven't had the extremes, but we did get a boatload of rain in early March. Those poor people in Alabama!

sparks19
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
This is just crazy. my prayers go out to the people in the southern states that were hit the worst by this.

We supposedly had a tornado (not confirmed for sure yet) go by about two miles from our house :eek:

In counties all around here there were cars overturned, tree's down... one fell on a school bus luckily no one was injured. it was crazy. now it's nice and sunny and you wouldn't even know about the chaos this morning

mrspunkysmom
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I had lost around 15 trees to the storms that have rolled through here. I was working on cleanup yesterday and had to retreat to the safety of my safe room.
I had trees coming down around me. I am afraid to go out and look at my tree damage this morning. My safe room was full last night with family that did not have safe rooms in their home. Two different tornadoes went over us last night but because of the hilly terrain they were not on the ground as it they passed over. I am real fortunate since there have been many deaths and whole communities destroyed.

Glad you and yours are okay. Makes me want to build a safe room out here.

Roxyluvsme13
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I just learned there were 15 deaths around the area where my mom is right now :(. And a tornado hit where my uncle lives, but he is okay. Someone around the area did die though.

I wish these storms would stop, they're causing so much devastation and loss.

Karen
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
One of my cousins is in Madison County, Alabama. Her house has some roof and water damage and she'll be without electricity for 5 days at least.

caseysmom
04-29-2011, 12:28 AM
I hope everyone is doing okay, its hard to imagine its so beautiful here. I hope everyone is safe and that this weather will be arrive to the rest of the country soon.

wombat2u2004
04-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Whoa, you guys are really copping it big time.
Stay safe all.

Karen
06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
So, tornadoes his Springfield, MA this afternoon, no injuries that I heard of. We are having constant rumbling of thunder overhead at the moment, and periodic downpours.

It got me thinking - how do you react to thunderstorms? How do your pets?

I love them. Always have. When I was a kid, I loved to see the leaves of the huge maple outside my bedroom window silhouetted in black by the flash of lightning, and afternoon storms, Grandpa Smith and I would sit and play rummy on the porch, so we were sort of outside, but sheltered at the same time. The porch at my parents' house wraps the front and around the side, so we could position the card table so the cards wouldn't get wet.

Contrast this with the mom and daughter next door - they were terrified of storms. Would scream with every clap of thunder, and were nearly hysterical. Every storm. They had a miserable time of it, and I kinda felt bad for them, a little, while still thinking they were completely ridiculous.

Sheba, my best dog ever, hated them. She'd crawl into my parents bed and huddle with them, poor thing. The vet told us she was likely caught in a storm with her puppies when she was s stray, before we got her. It was the only thing she was ever afraid of.

The others dogs we've had were mostly indifferent to them. Yours?

Taz_Zoee
06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
There was a tornado reported to have touched down in Yuba City, California. I didn't know we got tornados too!!! :eek: I didn't hear if there was much damage or injuries. That's way too close to home!!

It makes me so sad to hear about all this crazy weather that is happening all over the world. Almost makes me wonder if crazy guy Harrold Camping might eventually be right.......

Karen
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Almost makes me wonder if crazy guy Harrold Camping might eventually be right.......

Not me, we just now are better connected globally. Fifty years ago, a tornado happening in Springfield, MA might make news in New ENgland, but only if there were deaths - otherwise it'd just be a minor blip. Now we hear about every interesting weather event everywhere, no matter how small or large.

Freedom
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
They are now reporting 4 dead from those tornadoes in Springfield, Mass. :( We had an interesting hour and a half, watching it all on TV, we were in the "watch" area but the warning area was 15 miles north of us. The sky was really weird!

Willy had to go out in the back yard and bark at the thunder up in the sky twice today the silly goof!

Tasha found this a very rough day, she is terribly afraid of it poor girl. She pants and drools, shakes uncontrollably, eyes in huge circles. She won't leave my side and prefers me to hold her.

The humidity is more like Florida, we've been at 91% all day, not a nice feeling!

K9karen
06-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Hmmmm. Let's see. Who's worse, me or Mz Logan?

I was a latchkey kid so if there was lightening, thunder, wind and dark skies, I was under the dining room table. We lived in a huge 3 story house with lots of trees. Hearing them whip the house drove me nuts. And that was daytime. I'm better now. I stopped coddling myself!!:p

Mz Logan, as you know hates flashes. I didn't understand what was going on when I first got her, since Mr Cody was fearless. She hides in the family room or I'll let her down the basement. I stopped coddling her too (I felt bad) and now I just tell her "rain, thunder! Get your (specific) toy" and distract her. She's much. much better. I think she knows she's OK. Took many years. (have to fight the temptation to hold her)

smokey the elder
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
There was a waterspout in the Connecticut River that hit the Memorial Bridge, then crossed the river! I'd hate to be any of the poor b*stards on the bridge when the tornado hit. My home town of Agawam had some damage, too.

Taz_Zoee
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Not me, we just now are better connected globally. Fifty years ago, a tornado happening in Springfield, MA might make news in New ENgland, but only if there were deaths - otherwise it'd just be a minor blip. Now we hear about every interesting weather event everywhere, no matter how small or large.

I was only kidding anyway. ;) But you are so right. :)

Karen
06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
It is currently raining so hard - thunderstorms passing through - that there is a sheet of water from the sliding glass doors to the spot under the little tree that is mounded up to the tree itself! even the grass is underwater!