PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

Cataholic
04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
My mom has graciously agreed to watch our 9 cats when we go on vacation for 10 days this summer. She lives about 15 minutes from us, and has 6 cats of her own to care for. Jasper is going to a kennel, next to his cousin, Benjamin the wild chocolate lab.

I wonder if it would be 'better' for me to transport all 9 cats to Mom's house, where it will be MUCH easier for her to care for them, but maybe a little traumatic for them, OR, keep them at my house, where the converse is true.

I thought about splitting them up, half here, half at her house. She could get away with every other day visits. But, she might not do that, and instead do every day visits. :eek: Which would make the split worthless.

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards the transporting to her house idea. I don't have any cats that would unravel over the move....with perhaps the exception of Minnie. But, I could put Minnie in her spare room, with a couple of other "nice" cats, and the rest would live on her enclosed porch.

krazyaboutkatz
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
If it was me, I would just leave them at your home.When I've had to move my cats to my parents house just for a few days they were very upset and unhappy. I hope that in either case that everything will work out well. Good luck.:)

Karen
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd ask her her honest preference. It might be a nice break for her to "visit" with the grandkitties each day at your place, or she might prefer everyone at her house, everyone is different!

moosmom
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
As a petsitter, it's better for the animals to be in their own environment. Less stressful.

sasvermont
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I would leave them at their home, and encourage Mom to visit every other day. Cats are fairly independent and can live many days with dry food and water left out. Every other day would mean just five visits for her. Then when you return, the kitties will not be suffering from readjustment issues etc.

Good luck and have a nice holiday!

pomtzu
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I am in agreement - leave the kitties in their own familiar surroundings - much less chance of any of them getting stressed out.

BTW - where are we going on vacation??? - I want to make sure that I pack appropriately! :p:D

prechrswife
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I would vote for leaving them at your place. We've just found that our cats handle things better that way.

Randi
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd also say leave them at home in their own environment - but, if they get along with your mom's kitties, it would be easier for her. Then, if your mom has a car...

In my opinion, they do need some loving every day. :love: Of course, they won't be so bored since they have each other.

Have you tried taking some of them over to your mom's place and see how they react?

Good luck, and have a great holiday! Where are you going?

Freedom
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Leave the cats in their own home. Cats do NOT relocate easily, as dogs do.

Laura's Babies
04-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I also vote for leaving them at home. Mine were SO glad when I started leaving them at home when I'd go to work on the boat. They were far more relaxed when I got home and no adjustment time back was needed.. It is so much easier on them.

kitten645
04-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Leave them home. Far less stressful for the cats. The people understand. The cats don't.

Taz_Zoee
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
If you have the option of leaving them home, I'd do that. When we go on vacation I do not have that option and I have to take them to my moms (over an hour from us). Well, I haven't done that with Jax yet. He came on vacation with us last year because he was still so small.

I'm not sure what I will do this year. My sister might be moving back in with my parents and she'd have her two dogs upstairs, which is where the cats would go.

Have a wonderful trip!! :D

Medusa
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
You know your cats better than anyone. If you say that they won't freak out and it's easier on your mom, you could easily transport them there. My cats would be total freakazoids and everyone would be miserable including the catsitter. We know that cats don't like change much and they probably would be more comfortable and calmer in their own home but you've got your mom to consider, too.

Btw, can you share where you're going for vacation?

catnapper
04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I vote for keeping them in their own home too. Mom is only 15 minutes away so its a reasonable drive to make every day.

Asiel
04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
We don't have cats but we do have 3 dogs. When possible they all come with us if we take a holiday but if it's not possible we leave them at home with a sitter that we know and trust. The only one to accompany us is the SD who is never left behind.

Cataholic
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
You know your cats better than anyone. If you say that they won't freak out and it's easier on your mom, you could easily transport them there. My cats would be total freakazoids and everyone would be miserable including the catsitter. We know that cats don't like change much and they probably would be more comfortable and calmer in their own home but you've got your mom to consider, too.

Btw, can you share where you're going for vacation?

I have unusual cats, I think most of them would be ok. Since it is for a time period of 10 days, I do consider moving them. It is a lot to ask of someone, to come care for them. I might consider asking a neighbor to do it every other day, then mom would only have to drive over every other day, too. :)

I am going to the Cape May, NJ, with a stop in Hershey, PA, for a few days prior.

pomtzu
04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I am going to the Cape May, NJ, with a stop in Hershey, PA, for a few days prior.

Cape May - huh??? That's just a stone's throw across the Bay from me. Well - maybe just a little farther than that. You should take the Cape May/Lewis Ferry across to here, and we could meet for lunch in the Lewis area. Think about it.......:)

momcats13
04-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I would leave your cats in your house. 15 cats together won't get the heirerarchy issues worked out in 10 days--isn't this how litter box issues start? If you think going to your house every day is too much for your mother, can you split kittie duties between she and a neighbor?

Lillycat
05-03-2011, 08:04 PM
.....I vote for leaving the kitties in their own home too.....I am always on my way to somewhere and can always stop in and see to the cats each day....and even if it were an at home day for me .I mean really, I only live five/ten minutes away.....it is no trouble at all.....let them be in their own home.....