PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Tenders for Buddy

happylabs
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
We have a new treat for “Mr. Love Bug” aka Buddy.

Two weeks ago I made oven fried chicken tenders for dinner. There was one that didn’t fit into the pan so I put it in the microwave and cooked it plain with no seasoning for Buddy to have while I was eating my dinner. He only ate a couple bites so I put it in the fridge and gave him little bites of it throughout that week. Last weekend I made the oven fried chicken tenders again and low and behold, there was just one that didn’t fit into the pan. I nuked the extra one and put it in a baggie for Buddy’s snack. I realized this morning while I was making my coffee that he now comes into the kitchen every morning with a questioning “meow” for his bites of chicken.

He has me so well trained. :)

Freedom
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
LOVE this!

Yup, my crew all have to have their morning treats. I am constantly boiling boneless skinless chicken breast for the the crew of 15 to have a bit each morning!

Randi
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
It's always a good idea to buy a little extra chicken, and Buddy certainly has you trained. :D

I often get chicken breasts to marinate in oil, lemon and chili, and of course I take a few out to boil for Fister. :) I keep the chicken pieces in a container in the fridge, so he can get a bit every day. Remember to take it out 15 min. before you serve it. :)

cassiesmom
04-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Aww, Buddy, sweety! What a great story! I've never tried offering Cassie chicken tenders-- I'll have to try this. When I do, I'll report back to you how it goes! She loves plainly cooked chicken meat just like Randi wrote about.

happylabs
04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Aww, Buddy, sweety! What a great story! I've never tried offering Cassie chicken tenders-- I'll have to try this. When I do, I'll report back to you how it goes! She loves plainly cooked chicken meat just like Randi wrote about.

I call them chicken tenders but it is basically plain chicken breast that the grocery store slices into strips for me so I don't have to do it. :D

I'm still doing low carb and I miss having the breaded and fried chicken nuggets and such so I use an alternate low carb recipe to make them more desirable.

Another thing the sweet boy likes is hot dogs. I got some Oscar Meyer Angus Beef hot dogs yesterday and wow are they ever good! Buddy sat on the arm of my chair tapping me and if I didn't give him a bite fast enough he would in my face. He is lucky he is so adorable. :D

jennielynn1970
04-22-2011, 06:29 PM
My Honeybun loves his chicken. I bake chicken thighs, with some chicken broth, and after 2hrs take it out of the oven. Once it's cooled enough to remove the one bone that is in the thigh, I put them in the food processor and blend along with the broth. I keep the blended chicken in the fridge and put little scoops of it in Honey's bowl during the day (microwaved for 10-12 seconds first, can't have him eating cold chicken, lol). He loves his chicken and meows at me for more all the time!

happylabs
04-23-2011, 07:08 AM
My Honeybun loves his chicken. I bake chicken thighs, with some chicken broth, and after 2hrs take it out of the oven. Once it's cooled enough to remove the one bone that is in the thigh, I put them in the food processor and blend along with the broth. I keep the blended chicken in the fridge and put little scoops of it in Honey's bowl during the day (microwaved for 10-12 seconds first, can't have him eating cold chicken, lol). He loves his chicken and meows at me for more all the time!

Wonder if my cats would eat that. It would probably be better for them than the canned stuff.

catmandu
04-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Our Dad will bring Roast Chicken from the Buffet , we love that and shrimps too. We cannot wait until they have Big Deli Chickens on sale at Metros.:cool::cool:

happylabs
04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Our Dad will bring Roast Chicken from the Buffet , we love that and shrimps too. We cannot wait until they have Big Deli Chickens on sale at Metros.:cool::cool:

What a great dad! :)

jennielynn1970
04-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Wonder if my cats would eat that. It would probably be better for them than the canned stuff.

I'd give it a try if I were you. You can get boneless skinless chicken, but if you buy the chicken thighs, and just take off the skin, it's a lot cheaper than the boneless skinless. There's only one bone to remove after baking/cooking, so that makes it easier than wings or legs. If you have a Redners close to you they do a 5 packages for 19.95 and you can get chicken thighs there for a good deal (I saved over 13.00 when I bought 5 packages of the chicken thighs the last time)!!

I bake mine with about 2 cups of broth for about 2 hours. I let them cool, then debone them, and put them in a big food processor. It works like a charm. Honey seems to like it from the fridge, but nuked about 12 seconds so it's still in a gelled state, but a little warm. It's like chicken mousse, lol.

Try it. It sounds like it takes time, but really, it's just the baking time. The food processing goes quick, and then just chilling it, and you're done. Well worth the process, and the happy tummies of your kitties!! All of mine love it, they eat the left overs that Honeybun leaves behind, and likes the little treats I do give them from time to time. Honey was very skinny before I started, and he's put on over 1-2lbs of weight in the past 3-4 months.

pomtzu
04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I think about all kits and pups love chicken, don't they?? My 2 have cut up chicken every day for their mid-day treat - they split between them the meat equal to one average size thigh.

I buy the big packs of thighs at Sam's - there's usually 15 thighs in each pack and it runs around $7 to $8 - depending on how many pounds it is. If I catch them when the price is reduced for quick sale (usually on a Tuesday and when the "sell by" date is about to expire), I can pick up the same size pack for around $5 or even less. I just boil about 7 at a time and freeze the rest, and 7 lasts about the whole week. I just pick the meat off and cut it in bite size pieces for them, and they devour it. They go nuts when they smell it cooking, and stand by the kitchen counter when I pick the bones, just hoping that I'll drop a piece. I usually do - intentionally of course!!! :p:D

happylabs
04-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I'd give it a try if I were you. You can get boneless skinless chicken, but if you buy the chicken thighs, and just take off the skin, it's a lot cheaper than the boneless skinless. There's only one bone to remove after baking/cooking, so that makes it easier than wings or legs. If you have a Redners close to you they do a 5 packages for 19.95 and you can get chicken thighs there for a good deal (I saved over 13.00 when I bought 5 packages of the chicken thighs the last time)!!

I bake mine with about 2 cups of broth for about 2 hours. I let them cool, then debone them, and put them in a big food processor. It works like a charm. Honey seems to like it from the fridge, but nuked about 12 seconds so it's still in a gelled state, but a little warm. It's like chicken mousse, lol.

Try it. It sounds like it takes time, but really, it's just the baking time. The food processing goes quick, and then just chilling it, and you're done. Well worth the process, and the happy tummies of your kitties!! All of mine love it, they eat the left overs that Honeybun leaves behind, and likes the little treats I do give them from time to time. Honey was very skinny before I started, and he's put on over 1-2lbs of weight in the past 3-4 months.

I'll definitely try making this for Buddy. The other two may not eat it. For some reason Tinker and Mama don't want anything but their cat food.