PDA

View Full Version : My youngest runs around the house when she has diarrhea.

aerring
04-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I've taken my cats in to the vet 3 times now about their on and off diarrhea. My youngest, about 7 months old, literally runs around the house WHILE having diarrhea. The other cats have enough sense to go to the litter box, but she doesn't.

I can never tell when she's going to explode. But it only takes a few seconds for her to run across the entire house and fling runny poop everywhere, while dirtying herself.

The first time this happened, I tossed her into the bathroom and locked the kitty door (we have the kitty door so the cats can get in but the dogs can't...they like to get into the litter box). She literally punched through the door, working the screws loose and pushing the cat door out of the bathroom door to get out of the bathroom. She escaped the bathroom twice this way, and ruined the whole house again after I'd spent hours cleaning it.

This stuff was on the walls, in the curtains, on the rugs, on the kitchen counter, I mean anywhere you can think of. And each time it only took her a couple of seconds of running throughout the house to cause this much damage.

What I'm afraid of is during the course of her life, whenever she gets a little bit of runs, I'm going to, I dunno, take the day off from work and cancel everything just to stay home and take care of her and clean up after her terrible mess.

Is this some kind of behavioral issue? Is there anything I can do at all to make her stop this?

I'm already seeing the vet about the diarrhea and they're all on medicine which seems to be working for now, but the last medicine they gave me worked as well, of course until I ran out of it.

It doesn't help that this cat eats everything she can, too. She will lick empty plates and bowls that have been sitting in the sink, or a butter knife which cream cheese or peanut butter. I caught her grabbing a mouthful of fruit loops while I had my back turned this morning. We have to cover up freshly baked cookies or muffins and not leave anything out whatsoever. She's like a dog sometimes, can't help but wolf down every bit of food she comes across. I feed her over a cup of food a day, a mix between Blue cat food and Fancy Feast wet food.

freckledimple
04-23-2011, 06:20 PM
We had a similar problem with some of our kittens last year. :rolleyes: Three rescued feral babies with chronic diarrhea:confused: Two were using the box well, but the third would pick a spot (not in the box) and go :mad: She also had a leaky, butt. It's like her sphincter didn't work well. She would walk all over the house dripping diarrhea; and if she lay down, there would be a puddle of the stuff :p. It also kept her hiney very icky. I was cleaning up poo spots forever, until we figured out who it was.
We put the kittens in a ferret play pen and tied another pen panel on the top to keep them in. I also put newspaper in the bottom of the pen to make clean up a little easier; since the one was still drippy. When I would clean the pen, I put the kittens in a carrier so they wouldn't tack poo everywhere.
The vet finally determined they had Tritrichomonas foetus. This was after three other medicines/wormers didn't clear it all the way up. The medicine had to be special ordered, but it worked:D. And the little kitty uses the box, now.

krazyaboutkatz
04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( My RB cat Starr also had severe diarrhea and he would also explode where ever he was. At first I also thought that it was behavioral but it turned out that he had IBD,irritable bowel disease, and also Colitis. He was put on prednisolone and on a grain free diet. This really seemed to help him but unfortunately the pred made him gain so much weight that it affected his health and after battling this horrible disease for a few years I had to let him go.:(

Now I have Alani & Blaze and they have very sensitive tummies. They've also had their share of loose stools and diarrhea. Luckily they've always gone in the litter box but since they're long haired cats their poo would stick to their fluffy bottoms and I would have to clean their bottoms several times a day.:( I finally decided to try a food that was higher in fiber and so far it's working out great for them. They're eating Chicken Soup For The Cats Lover Soul in the dry Light Formula and I also feed them a little bit of the adult hairball formula CSFTCLS twice a day mixed in with their dry food. Sometimes they have a little poo attached to them but at least it doesn't happen every day.

When the vets that I was taking my RB Starr to couldn't help me, I decided to try another vet that specializes in cats. She knew exactly what to do for Starr. His fur and whiskers were also in bad shape because his body wasn't getting the proper nutrition so he was put on vitamin B12 shots and this really helped to improve his health. I would try to get a second opinion if I was you. Good luck.:)