PDA

View Full Version : I will be catsitting Shanga - meet her here... New pics!

Randi
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Shanga is 3 years old and lives only 5 min. from me. I will be visiting her for 3 days while her humans are away. Shanga is part Bengal, and I think part Serval - not quite sure about this. I've met her only once and I could stroke her, but she didn't like my face too close to hers. Well, I'm sure it will go just fine. :)

Here she is:

Karen
04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
She's a beauty! Will you get to take her for walks? Hopefully Fister won't be too jealous when he smells another kitty's scent on you!

katladyd
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
She is absolutely gorgeous!!! Oh, I am wanting one of those kitties so badly!:eek:

Donnaj4962
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
She's stunning! Have fun kittysitting!

phesina
04-20-2011, 08:27 PM
What a gorgeous girl! I will look forward to reading more about her as you take care of her.

Freedom
04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Striking markings!

Not sure if you mean you are bringing her in to your home? Or you are going over to her home?

I've heard that often, Bengals don't readily take to another cat in the house. So, that is why I wondered if you are bringing her into your place.

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM
She sure is gorgeous.:) I hope that everything will go well. Good luck.:) We would also like to see some more pictures of her if you get the chance.;)

Randi
04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
No, I'm not bringing her to my home, Fister would probably not like his space invaded, and I'm not sure how she would react, either. :eek: She certainly told me not to get any closer to her face, the day I visited.

I will try to get some pictures. :)

Shanga's mom sent me this video clip from a place they visited near Munich - they lived in Germany before coming here.

Click to view! German speaking people should be able to understand what they say.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Video%20clips/th_Film.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Video%20clips/?action=view&current=Film.mp4)

sana
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
My, my!! what a jewel! I absolutely love the colors, seems like a small white tiger! :love: :love:

catmandu
04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
What a Great Looking Cat , a Truly Lovely Cat. And with a leash yet so you can walk her and enjoy her company!!!
:love::love:
That will be a great experience.
:love::love:

Randi
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes, it will be a new experience to look after Shanga, she certainy is special, but I will not take her outside. She lives on the top floor in a four story building. However, I may borrow the leash and see if I can put it on Fister, then I could walk him to the vet. :) Most of the way there is through the churchyard. I doubt he'll put up with a leash, though.

lizbud
04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Shanga is a very beautiful cat. Maybe you can take some pictures when
you are on your petsitting mission.

I thought Servals were a breed of wild cats. I didn't know they could be
bred with house cats.

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I thought Servals were a breed of wild cats. I didn't know they could be
bred with house cats.

Yes, Servals are wild cats but they have been successfully bred with domestic cats. When I was at a cat show, they had several Savannah cats there and some of them were half Serval and half of some other domestic cat breed. These were also quite large. They also had some later generations there that were a lot smaller because they weren't half Serval any more. I think these cats cost a lot of money to adopt.

Here's the link to my original thread about the cat show with some pictures of the Savannah's http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=163223&highlight=TICA+CAT+SHOW.

Barbara
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
The text of the film is partly German and a little French. The big guy with the chicken is obviously a serval and Savannahs are mixes between servals and domestic cats. I have seen some of them in shows here and they are beautiful- but much bigger than other cats or Bengals. It all depends on how many generations they are down from the serval.
The cat in the film looks not like a Savannah to me - rather like a Bengal.
Bengals too are a younger breed and some of them seem to be just nice. Filou had a Bengal friend when he was a baby- but sasvermont's Miley was bullied by Ti the bengal- as some of you will remember.
Shanga however looks like a beautiful Bengal princess and Orion was looking at the screen quite long. He thought she was bigger than him but apart from that she was just his kitty dream;)

gini
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh Randi, how much fun for you. I hope you will take more pictures of Shang. I think I would be very reluctant to take her outdoors even on her leash - in fear of losing her. Goodness she is really a beauty.

Fister on a leash walk - lining up another adventure for yourself huh?

Let us know how it goes with Shang.

lizbud
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes, Servals are wild cats but they have been successfully bred with domestic cats. When I was at a cat show, they had several Savannah cats there and some of them were half Serval and half of some other domestic cat breed. These were also quite large. They also had some later generations there that were a lot smaller because they weren't half Serval any more. I think these cats cost a lot of money to adopt.

Here's the link to my original thread about the cat show with some pictures of the Savannah's http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=163223&highlight=TICA+CAT+SHOW.

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info and also the link to the
show cats. (must have missed that:o) I loved the pics of the Abys,
the Ragdolls and the Main Coons. What type of mix is the Toyger?

cassiesmom
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
She is beautiful! She does look a bit like a white tiger to me!

Bengalz
04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Shanga is stunning and yes looks totally like a princess:D She might be quite an interesting companion for you and I can't wait for the stories:D:D

I don't know a lot about Servals other than they are incredibly beautiful cats. However, Bengals are high energy and very smart - lots going on in their world;)

Have a great time!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info and also the link to the
show cats. (must have missed that:o) I loved the pics of the Abys,
the Ragdolls and the Main Coons. What type of mix is the Toyger?

You're welcome.:) Here's a great link about Toygers: http://hubpages.com/hub/Toygers-Domestic-Tiger-Cats.

Sorry Randi, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.:o

Randi
04-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Tracy, it's alright, I didn't feel you hijacked the thread, you posted some good info and links. :) In your link in post 13, the cat in the first picture looks very much like Shanga, I think. I love the one in the second pic., the Abby's and the Toyger.

Shanga must be a mix of Bengal and Savannah or Serval, I will ask about that and where they got her. I'm exited to see if she will let me touch her and sit with me.

Barbara, Shanga's mom told me that they feed the cats a live chicken every day in that place you see in the video. You may have been there, since it's in or near Munich.

Gini, I really doubt Fister will accept to walk on a leash. :D

Actually, I have one other picture of Shanga:

Sonia59
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh my! What an amazing cat!!!

Randi
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I’ve been to visit Shanga the past two days. She greets me by the door when I come, and seems happy for some company. Rubs herself on my legs, too. :)

I feed her and give her some fresh water first, because she demands her wet food NOW!

She loves to play and races around for the toys I throw. I can see she really needs to burn off some energy. I have to be careful, though - today she attacked me while I was scooping her litter box and I got a little scratch over my lip. :eek: So tomorrow, I’ll make sure I close the door to the room she's in, while I do it. However, I can stroke her and even give her tummy rubs, so she isn’t that bad. She is a Savannah/Bengal, 3 years old and was born near Frankfurt, Germany.

Here are some pictures I got yesterday. Will try to get a video clip tomorrow.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4105

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4108

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4107

phesina
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow! She is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

cassiesmom
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
She is gorgeous! I like her black markings on her silvery coat!

Bengalz
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
She is just gorgeous :love: Enjoy your time with her Randi:)

krazyaboutkatz
04-30-2011, 01:27 AM
She sure is gorgeous.:) Do you happen to know how much she weighs or how long or tall she is?

Randi
04-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Tracy, I don't know much she weighs, but my guess is about 3 kg.

Shanga’s family will be back tomorrow morning, so it was my last day catsitting. She was very happy to see me and we played a lot. :) I was with her for two hours. When I was about to leave, she started miawing and kind of attacked my legs - I guess she wanted me to stay. Perhaps a sister or brother to play with would be a good idea.

I didn’t get a good video, but here’s a few more pics.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4109

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4110

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4111

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-01-2011, 03:29 AM
:love::love::love:
WOW what a beauty she is Randi!!!!!

Randi
07-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm catsitting Shanga again and I have to admit I'm a little scared of her. She gave me a scratch on my cheek today. The poor girl must be bored, so I try to play with her a lot, and give her treats, but without warning she will jump at me. :eek:

Will try to get some more pics when I have charged my battery.

lizbud
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm catsitting Shanga again and I have to admit I'm a little scared of her. She gave me a scratch on my cheek today. The poor girl must be bored, so I try to play with her a lot, and give her treats, but without warning she will jump at me. :eek:

Will try to get some more pics when I have charged my battery.

Do you think she smells Fister on your clothes? That might be what's
prompting her play "attacks". How long will you be catsitting this time?
Be careful won't you.:)

Randi
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks Liz! Could be that she can smell Fister. When I come in, she rolls around for tummy rubs - after that I give her her wet food.

I'll be catsitting until July 15th, then again from July 29th - Aug. 8th. Luckily, my neighbor will go some days. I will certainly not go in shorts!

phesina
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Maybe you can bring along a t-shirt or something you only wear when you visit her.. put it on over your Fister-smelling clothes before you go in.

Randi
07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not the smell of Fister, because today my neighbor went and Shanga went after her face, too. We simply have to stay away from her head. I think the reason she behaves like this, is that she misses her family and is bored being so much alone.

happylabs
07-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not the smell of Fister, because today my neighbor went and Shanga went after her face, too. We simply have to stay away from her head. I think the reason she behaves like this, is that she misses her family and is bored being so much alone.

Poor Kitty and poor you! She is really a pretty cat though. Was looking back through the original posts at the pictures. How nice of you to cat sit. I know I certainly appreciated my friend coming over and taking care of mine while I was out of town. Her routine is mixed up, I am sure that makes her anxious.

Catty1
07-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Any chance of Shanga getting a kitty friend to play with? A BIG kitty friend? ;)

Gorgeous girl!:):love:

Randi
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Catty, I thought that it might be a good idea if she got a kitty friend, because I think her family travel quite often. My neighbor said that it might also be a good idea to put the leash on her and take her down in the yard - but I will not do that without authorization, and anyway she probably would not let us. :eek:

Anikaca77
07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
She is so beautiful!

Melissa