PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Iluvguineapigness
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
My guinea pig has breathing issues and also has pneumonia and she colapsases from time to time.I've brought her to the vet and gotten medicine but it doesnt seem to work.I give her vitamin C drops but that doesnt help either.Any advice?:confused::confused::confused::confused::co nfused::(:(:(:(:(

Karen
04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Bring her back to the vet, or find another veterinarian with experience in guinea pigs and go to them. What litter do you use for her cage?

Iluvguineapigness
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I use pine bedding

Karen
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Switch her bedding immediately - go with something without a scent like Carefresh or Yesterday's news. Then you can cover that with some timothy hay, good for munching and for bedding both. Pine (if it's not the kiln-dried stuff) and cedar has a strong scent and the oils in it are not good for critters whose mouth is close to it. And because she is having breathing trouble, that would be my first suspect. I would also look for a different ve, see if you can find one that specializes in small animals, as many vets are just used to treating dogs and cats, and might not know much about guinea pigs and their special needs.

chocolatepuppy
04-27-2011, 06:07 AM
I agree with Karen, change the bedding. I once had a piggy who had breathing problems due to the bedding.