PDA

View Full Version : Might buy Goldfishes - Some questions about them.

sana
04-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I might buy Goldfishes in these days. (HOPEFULLY I WILL ;)) So, I need to ask a few questions.

Q1. If I get them in a bowl, how many times should I change their water?
Q2. Should I get a tank or a bowl?
Q3. Is it true that a goldfish's memory is of three seconds? :p
Q4. How many times a day should I feed them? (seriously important**)
Q5. Would they be more happy if I add those aquarium toys (like the castle and the bridge etc.)? Should i get them those toys etc.

I guess these are the questions for now. Please please pray that I get to buy them and real real soon!!! :D It would be awesome because my mom and dad agreed that I could keep fishies. I really hope I get to buy them sooooooon.

Thank You for reading! :):)

Freedom
04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
I know most places sell goldfish for bowls and tanks. But really, they are not meant to be kept that way. They can easily grow to 12 inches long if / when properly cared for.

Because they are so plentiful and easy to breed, they are an inexpensive way for folks to start with fish, especially to start youngsters with fish.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php

http://ezinearticles.com/?Goldfish-Care-and-Fish-Tank-Maintenance&id=933257

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Goldfish_disease.html

Karen
04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
A decent sized tank is better than the classic bowl.

No, their memories are not just 3 seconds, that's just a silly line from a song, and an old myth.

Usually they are fed twice a day.

You should read the links Sandra posted, but as for toys, would you be happier in an empty room, or a room with stuff in it?

Suki Wingy
04-17-2011, 12:57 AM
One major word here: FILTRATION! Goldfish are dirty fish. You will need heavy filtration to keep them alive and healthy! People say a goldfish will grow to fit its tank, but really they can grow up to a foot in length, and if they don't it's because their living conditions/lack of proper care stunted them.

sana
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
thank You guys for what you have told me uptil now. I have two more questions.

Q1. I don't understand how the filters work. What really does happen when you install a filter in your aquarium?

Q2. What should be at the bottom of the aquarium? Do you get it along with the aquarium? What is it called?

Thank You for everything that you have given me uptil now, I got lots of information from that but there are only a few questions that I still have.

Thank You!! :):):)

Karen
04-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Most places will sell you "aquarium rocks" - colored stuff that's like small gravel, but it is made of safe stuff for the fish. The filters work by filtering impurities out of the water, food debris and, well, fish poop!

sana
04-17-2011, 02:25 AM
but then where does all that junk go to? :confused:

Karen
04-17-2011, 08:57 AM
It gets stuck in the filter, as it is supposed to. That's why you need to clean the filter regularly, just wash it out.

sana
04-17-2011, 09:58 AM
So, meaning you put water in a tank, install a filter and you don't need to change the water...:eek::eek::eek: THAT'S TOTALLY AMAZING!! because I have never kept a fish so, I never had a straight idea of how a filter really worked. So, I install a filter clean the filter everyday, right? That's it? So no dumping out water and filing more in. And another thing, when do I need to actually change the water? Is it necessary or do I just have to use the filter and its done, no water changing? Oh! And a filter works through electricity or is there a battery in it? :):):) THIS IS REALLY GETTING ME EXCITED!! Please pray i get to buy them sooon! :):):)

Freedom
04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
No no, Sana, read the links.

You still do partial water changes every 2 weeks. At that time, you change the filter. So you have to keep a supply of filters.

You need something to neutralize your tap water, you can't just put tap water in a bucket and add it to the tank. I use Cycle, but there are other products out there.

The strata is typically small "gravel" colored rocks. Yes, goldfish are very messy fish. You will need a strata cleaner, as a lot of fish poop will just sink into the gravel. The cleaner works by pulling the junk up out of the gravel. Mine is a tube with a large nozzle at one end. It is not electric, no batteries. You make sure the tube goes in to a bucket that is lower than the tank and it will act like suction

Roxyluvsme13
04-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I was always told not to change the filter cartridges and just to rinse them out whenever one does a partial water change. It keeps all the essential bacteria (is that the right description?) cycling through the tank.

And you still have to do partial water changes, Sana :)

sana
04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
oookkkkk......Now that's a lot of work :eek: Seems a lot to me, I get it. I read the links but I don't remember reading change the water every 2 weeks. thank you everybody!!! You gave me lots of information and thank you again!! :D:D:D

cloverfdx
04-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Goldfish are not an ideal beginner fish, they take a lot more care than most people think. You will need a decent sized tank/ aquarium, a filter that filters at least double (if not triple) the ammount of water per hour, gravel for the bottom if you like, some live plants, an air pump with airline and an air srone to help with oxygen levels, water conditoners (tap water will kill fish pretty quickly).

You will also need to cycle the tank for a good few weeks before adding any fish. If you dont want to get your own water test kits then take a sample to a local fish store and get them to test for PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Hardness etc.

Never do a full water change or clean your filter sponges under clean tap water (use the water taken from your tank). A syphon cleaner will make cleaning the gravel much easier, it will get rid of the waste with out taking too much water out.

Coldwater fish are awesome, real characters, and they are realy quite smart :).

IRescue452
04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Goldfish are a TON of work. Also several hundred dollars worth of investment to keep them alive for their potential lifespan. (Cheaper if you want a bowl and let them die every week and replace them like an inanimate decoration)

You should have 10 gallons per 3 inches of goldfish. They produce a ton of ammonia and ammonia will kill them.

The filter DOES NOT suck up all of the poop and debris. Most of it will end up in the gravel and you will buy an inexpensive gravel vac an vaccuum the gravel when you do the water changes.

The filter DOES provide a place for your important bacteria to grow. This bacteria will come about within a few weeks of starting the tank and will neutralize the ammonia and nitrites. In the beginning before the bacteria grows in the filter, the ammonia and nitrites will need to be controlled by you and could need daily water changes depending on how many fish you have. You will need an expensive but vital water test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Test the water daily until its cycled. Cycyled means the beneficial bacteria has grown and is controlling the bad chemicals. Once that is done you can change the water every 2 weeks or as needed. With goldfish its more like 20% weekly in a healthy tank.

DO NOT buy a product that says it will instantly cycle the tank unless it is kept in the fridge in the store and you get it home before it thaws. Beneficial bacteria cannot live on a shelf in a bottle as it needs oxygen and food to live. It lives a few weeks in the fridge so only buy the refridgerated stuff or nothing at all.

DO NOT buy test strips. Strips start to break down when you open the container and expose them to air. Buy liquid test kits.

DO NOT buy pH Neutralizer. Goldfish are fine in any water that you can drink. Tap water is often between 6 and 9. That's fine.

DO NOT buy all sorts of medications. Pristine water is all you need to keep your fish healthy. If your fish get sick, test the water and step up changes. Pristine water is so much better than medications and some medications must be used in a hospital tank or bucket because they will kill your beneficial bacteria.

DO buy aquarium gravel for the tank bottom. SOme beneficial bacteria will grow in this.

DO, for goldfish, buy a filter rated for 3-4x the tank size. DO NOT worry about buying extra filter cartridges. You can rinse the cartriges you have in old tank water when they get dirty, but remember that the good bacteria is on there so don't rinse in chlorine water. If you change the filter completely your water will no longer be cycled and your fish could die. They need that bacteria colony.

DO NOT buy any chemical that "adds" slime coat or stress coat to the fish or changes the pH or reduces ammonia. All you should have is chlorine and chloramine neutralizer. Stress coat reduces the dissolved oxygen in the water. Your fish don't need help with their slime coating if you have good water conditions.

DO NOT worry about carbon for the filter. Its only active for a week and then its just another porous surface for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Don't change it often.

SO in the end the bare needs for healthy long-lived goldfish...
Large tank with top
Master test kit
Gravel vac and some buckets for water changes
Filter
Dechlorinator
Gravel
Food
Fish
Water
Research
A good forum to ask questions (here you are)

The initial investment for a ten gallon fish tank in the US is $176 dollars. SInce you have goldfish you will need more space than that so please do your research before getting pet fish.

Roxyluvsme13
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Sana, if you don't want a fish that's as much work as a goldfish seems to be, you should opt for a Betta. They're pretty low maintenance :)

sana
04-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Ok...Goldfish are A LOT of work!! Could anybody please suggest an easier fish, phew** this seems sooo hard, I thought keeping a goldfish was like, put in a bowl, feed twice and that's all and add dead fish because I always heard they die quick...:eek::eek: I need an easier fish...

Roxyluvsme13
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok...Goldfish are A LOT of work!! Could anybody please suggest an easier fish, phew** this seems sooo hard, I thought keeping a goldfish was like, put in a bowl, feed twice and that's all and add dead fish because I always heard they die quick...:eek::eek: I need an easier fish...
Betta :)
http://www.bettafish.com/

IRescue452
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Betta with a heater and sponge filter in a 5 gallon tank. Much easier since they don't produce as much waste.

The thing about fish is their environment is almost completely enclosed. The owner must provide for everything right down to the amount of oxygen in the tank. Basically having fish is playing god to an animal because its by your hand that they will so much as breathe. At least with a dog or cat they can breathe the air on their own.

chocolatepuppy
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Ha ha Sana, yes Goldfish can be a lot of work!:D As for them dying quickly, that's because people don't care for them properly.:( I have two that are around 5 years old.;)

sana
04-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Thank You soooooo much to everybody who helped in telling me and increasing my knowledge about caring Goldfishes, I loved it and thank you again, I can't take good care of goldfishes so , I would prefer keeping an easier fish to take care of than to kill 2 Goldfish :) So, thank you again and I will see if there are betta in the fish marts near my home :):)

Christmas_Hamster
05-08-2011, 10:11 AM
If you're going for bettas then be sure to check out www.ultimatebettas.com
Even if you don't join the forum it is jam-packed with good information.