PDA

View Full Version : Long haired cats.

toughCookie
11-02-2002, 11:27 PM
I have just one long haired cat, Charlie. the rest are short haired.
what a difference, as far as grooming. the short haired ones don't need to be groomed like Charlie, I have to brush him more, and his, tummy fur gets all dirty with the litter, I have to wash it and sometimes cut it. like tonight, and he growls and jumps, trying to get down. boy he sure gets mad:mad: , he does not like having this done.
does anyone one else with long haired cats have this problem?

jenluckenbach
11-03-2002, 06:00 AM
I have 4 longhaired cats. They all have the silkier type of coat. (not the cottony type that a lot of persians have) I have absolutely no problem keeping the in goo shape. They do not need all that much brushing and they never get anything stuck in their fur. Maybe I am just lucky. Amber is the only one who dislikes being brushed and, of course, the only one who ever gets a tangle. But getting out the tiniest of tangles helps prevent the mats from forming. If you would not mind paying for a professional grooming, a groomer can shave the belly hair and trin the hind quarters, to cut down on the amount of hair that picks up litter. A lot of our long haired cat customers have this done.

neko1
11-03-2002, 06:38 AM
We have some cats that come into work that are shaved- it does seem to help a lot!! Getting them groomed is really the best thing if you have too much trouble doing it yourself. I hate to see animals come into the office that are full of mats.

smokey the elder
11-03-2002, 08:19 AM
Bosun the grumpy grouch is my only longhair. She developed mats that I was able to get out with a steel comb but she objected strenuously. But she always got a catnip reward so got used to being combed. I think she's got some Maine Coon in her since she has the double coat, ruff and very hairy feet. Her nickname is Hobbit Toes. She is very small for a MC, though.

boscibo
11-03-2002, 09:48 AM
My Bo looks like he is a shorthair, but he has the thickest undercoat. He would get matted terribly if I didn't brush him. His fur is the weirdest - he is constantly shedding. Sometimes when I pet him, it is just like standing in a cloud of white fur.

11-03-2002, 10:14 AM
We have out new kitten Inka now , who is longhaired too .
As far as now , there was not any problem ; I comb her hair 2 times a day , and she seems to "undergo" it ( is not the same as "like it" ...) . What she hates is when I try to comb her near her "behind" !!! gee , lots of hissing then !!!
During her first week after her rescue , I had to cut a way some long hair around the anus because of the runny diarhhea ; was easier for her , AND for us to clean up the mess ...
:rolleyes: ;)

Glacier
11-04-2002, 12:20 PM
I have two long hairs..Glacier and Onyx. They have completely different types of coats. Glacier rarely needs to be brushed and doesn't get mats. I brush him about once a week, just because he likes it! Onyx is double coated. Under his solid black coat is a silky soft layer of silver fur. He gets terrible mats and needs to be brushed several times a week. He is tolerant for a few minutes and then attacks my hand!

NoahsMommy
11-04-2002, 12:27 PM
My Noah has that long hair too. We get him shaved (like a puppy cut) when it's warm out...but I want to get it done more often because he hates geting brushed. I can only do it while he's sleeping...

We take Noah to a dog/cat groomer and they bathe, dry and cut his fur...along with his nails too. It's really worth it when he comes home all clean and nice and short haired. :)

toughCookie
11-04-2002, 12:34 PM
They do not need all that much brushing and they never get anything stuck in their fur. Maybe I am just lucky.

you are lucky!

I brush all my cats, it helps their skin and fur, but Charlie needs it more often. he actually does like the brushing, til I get to his tummy, then he growls! I have to check it everyday, and usually every other day or two it seems like I have to clean him up, sometimes have to cut the fur away, it has little clumps of litter etc! its gross! but I have to watch that he doesn't get matted:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
11-04-2002, 11:47 PM
I have two long haired cats Storm and Pepper. Storm's fur is very soft and silky and has never matted or picked up anything like litter. Pepper's fur is a bit coarser and he's always getting litter stuck in it. He also sometimes gets mats on his belly area and bottom area. I only brush them once a week. Pepper usually fights me the whole time. I give them treats after I groom them and Storm really looks forward to this and is a very good boy. How come the cats that need to be brushed the most hate it the most? :confused:

toughCookie
11-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Charlie has very silky fur, but still it gets things stuck to it:(