PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Law limits pets

Freedom
04-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank goodness, this is NOT MY CITY!

Two towns over, they have proposed a law limiting each home to 3 dogs or cats. :eek:

Back in January, a man was arrested, he had 15 pit bulls chained out in a wooded lot he owned. It was in the 20's, and so much snow that he hadn't been able to get out to them and feed them for 3 days. Most had NO shelter. The number was not illegal -- the circumstances, oh yeah. The dogs were all fine, able to recover. But this is what has prompted the new proposal.

In that city, the law currently does not count 'animals living outside.'

The new law would not apply to kennels, rescues, breeders w/ a breeder license, etc.

I think this is way too stringent, a case of the pendulum swinging back way too far.

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes, the proposed law does sound too strict. If it's passed then there will be many more animals out there without homes.:( I wonder how they'd enforce it any way. Would they do monthly or annual home checks. Cats hide behind things. If I have company and they didn't know that I had 6 cats, they'd only think that I have 1 or 2 because the rest of them usually hide.

Karen
04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
What town, Sandra?

chocolatepuppy
04-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm very much opposed to the law limiting pets! I've seen people with many pets take better care of their pets
than someone who has only one pet!

Medusa
04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
A few people always seem to be able to ruin it for the rest of us responsible pet owners.

Asiel
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Right about that. We had those laws applied last year with a grandfather clause. We are allowed 4 animals , be it cats or dogs, or a mix of both. If you live in a rural area like we do, you are allowed 6 as it's considered protection for livestock.
If we want to foster 4 is also the limit unless it's for a period of less than one yr.

pomtzu
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
That's not fair. The responsible pet owners should not be punished for the acts of the negligent.

I'm in a rural area, so there are no laws limiting the # of animals we can have. This area is zoned "A/R - agricultural/residential", so it would be impossible to put a limit on it.

NicoleLJ
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Every city I have lived in has a limit of some type. Where I am now there is a limit of 3 dogs and I think it is 6 cats. And for the dogs it states that 6 months or over. Also if you are a breeder then you are exempt or if you foster for a rescue. When we get our next GSD we will be applying for a breeders liscense so the limit does not really concern us.

Glacier
04-15-2011, 11:24 AM
We've always had a limit here...2 cats and 2 dogs per property within the city limits. Not per household...a lot with two houses on it can still only have four animals. In my subdivision, which is within the city limits but all acreage properties, you can have 4 & 4, 6 & 6 if you can get written premission from everyone you share a property line with. Cats have the same lisencing rules and confinement laws as dogs.

When I bought my property, the dog rules didn't apply out here. That changed about 8 years ago. I now have the last legal dog team permit in the city. The city no longer gives them out under any circumstances. If I forget to pay my fee one year, I loose my permit and potentially my dogs. It is non-transferrable...tied to this property and me. I can not move my dogs within the city limits; another musher can not buy my property and move his dogs on to it. We decided several years ago that we aren't getting any more dogs or cats until we are down to 3, under the legal limit. The rules and constant changes to them have made owning multiple dogs too difficult.

Taz_Zoee
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I am not even sure of my city's limit. I have searched and found nothing stating it. But like Tracey, if anyone came in I could say I have two dogs and one cat. They'd never see Paizly. :)
Oh wait, my emergency fire sticker says two of each....oops! :D

Just looked again and found it!! Here it is: The City has adopted certain provisions of the Contra Costa County Ordinance Code, including its requirement that no more than three dogs and no more than five cats over six months of age, may be kept, harbored, possessed or maintained for more than thirty days in a single dwelling or business unit without a County-issued multiple pet license in an area zoned for uses other than agriculture.

So I'm good. Heck I can even get one more dog and three more cats!!! LOL :D

But I agree, it isn't fair to punish responsible owners because of one idiot!! :mad:

Freedom
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
What town, Sandra?

Warwick, RI.

Here is a short squib on it:
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/west_bay/warwick-pet-limits-proposed-in-city

I wonder how they'd enforce it any way. Would they do monthly or annual home checks.
Most of these laws are only enforced when there is another issue - a noise complaint re barking dogs, or an inhabitable home due to cats not having cleaned litter boxes etc.

HOWEVER, many of the city parks and dog parks now have random checks re dog licenses. So I guess they could catch up w/ you that way. I only have 3 of my 5 dogs licensed, as the city law says 3 per household. I've been talking w/ a friend to get the other 2 under her name and address.

pomtzu
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Boo on Warwick! :mad:

wolfsoul
04-15-2011, 02:54 PM
We have a limit here -- I am pretty sure it affects most of the province. Only two dogs per household unless you have a kennel license which requires more than an acre of land, and it costs I believe something around $120 a year (not including licensing your own dogs). This is one reason I don't license my dogs. They don't know how many I have, and unless I get a complaint, they never will (or atleast they won't care). They are pretty lenient when they see households with more than two dogs -- it's just the ones the recieve complaints that they enforce the rule for.
Another thing -- it isn't just ownership. It's PER PROPERTY -- meaning I am not allowed to have more than two dogs on my property at any given time. Because I own a grooming business, I often have many dogs on my property at once. But again, unless you get a complaint it's not something that is really enforced. I'm sure it's that ay in most places too (atleast one would hope!).

MOST places have a limit.. You just don't hear about it when you don't recieve any complaints. :) Everyoen should keep it that way! Let's keep our dogs onleash, in our yard, and quiet.

inlovewithanimals
06-05-2011, 05:01 PM
East Providence Rhode Island, Sandra wasnt sure if you got the notices in the mail but now all dogs including small large indoor or outdoor animals need to be registered where as before it was ouside dogs and large dogs, theres a hefty fine insane right? just like the 3 dog limit is nuts. exspecialy if theire small i mean come on 4 small ones = one big so why not be able to have oh idk 9 small dogs? lol.

Freedom
06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Justin, that is same as it has always been, we haven't had a law change in that regard here in EP. And they put that darn notice in w/ the tax bills every year, too.

inlovewithanimals
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
really? never gotten a notice about it in the past hmph. even still the animal lemit i think is crazyyyyy unless there have been complaints or animals start to become menaces or smell then its not right to the animals or anything at all. but other than those types of situations i dont really see a need.