PDA

View Full Version : Has Truth Become Treason? (website's actual title, not mine!)

Catty1
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/409b52ed-c44d-442a-8a0e-8393ea2c48a0.jpg

Karen
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, 2 people can look at the same thing - whatever it is - and come up with two different versions of the "truth." But no, being the truth does not make it treason, that, like many statements by political wannabes in this era of sound bites and short attention spans is designed to cause fuss and fury - a.k.a. attention for them.

Lady's Human
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Truth is not treason.

Releasing classified diplomatic documents and classified military documents and files, however, is treason.

Nice sound bite, however, like most of Rand and Ron Paul's statements, they don't stand up to real scrutiny. (Rand, Don't know where you got your information, but I most certainly pay into both my benefits and my retirement package. Next time research before you open your mouth)

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
What a silly statement! At issue is not whether the information is true or false - is is whether that person had the right to release the information.

Blabbing stuff you don't have the right to isn't just a government issue. I just left a client for whom we drafted a confidentiality agreement. Most companies have them - standard practice. And if you violate it you can be fired and sued.

LH - why should they do research? Takes all the fun out of it. My mother's (she is 87) favorite from the Paul boys is - give senior vouchers and let them "shop" for the best medical insurance deal. She says a good day is when she can remember how to shop for groceries. How the heck is she suppose to shop for something as complex as medical insurance?

But perhaps the statements they make are "not intended to be factual statements."

Lady's Human
04-13-2011, 06:22 PM
But perhaps the statements they make are "not intended to be factual statements."

Like Ron's anti-Semitic ravings weren't his words, it was just something concocted by a staffer who thought it sounded like something Ron would agree with. (which Ron then signed, but hey, it was just boilerplate, no need to read it......)

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
How about this as a response...

Has violating your oath become patriotic?

Has endangering others and the safety of your country become honorable?

But then..I don't twitter. I will leave that to twits like the Paul boys.

smokey the elder
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
"Truth is a three-edged sword: your truth, my truth, and the real truth." G'Kar, Babylon 5 Truer (pardon the pun) words were never spoken.

wombat2u2004
04-14-2011, 11:47 AM
But if a truth is harmful to a country, and endangers those who live there, isn't that truth treason ???

smokey the elder
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Could be...BUT over 200 years ago we had the controversial Alien and Sedition acts which IMO went a wee bit too far; it became unlawful to criticize the government AT ALL! So one must be mindful of slippery-slope potential. Do I think our battle plans should be blabbed for all the world to see? Of course not! But, if these battle plans themselves aren't carefully guarded...information doesn't get onto WikiLeaks all by itself.

lizbud
04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Words spoken by a Republican Senator & recorded in the Congressional record are not meant to be factual.:rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/15/avlon.kyl.truth/index.html?hpt=T2

Lady's Human
04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Both sides use the same tactics, calling out a republican for doing it is the pot calling the kettle black.

Look at their statements on the budget.

As to the information not getting onto wikileaks by itself, that is true. However, I cannot fathom the movement behind freeing the dear child who stole thousands upon thousands of classified documents and gave them to wikileaks. He was in a sensitive position, vetted, probably had a TSSBI, and was read on, which means he had signed at least 3 NDA forms. He KNEW what he was doing was violating the UCMJ and Federal law.

Let him pay the price for his crimes.

Karen
04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
He was in a sensitive position, vetted, probably had a TSSBI, and was read on, which means he had signed at least 3 NDA forms. He KNEW what he was doing was violating the UCMJ and Federal law.

To decode for those unused to such acronyms:

TSSBI: Top Secret Special Background Investigation (level of clearance)
NDA: NonDisclosure Agreement
UCMJ: Uniform Code of Military Justice

wombat2u2004
04-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Absolutely.

lizbud
04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Lady's Human;2348360]Both sides use the same tactics, calling out a republican for doing it is the pot calling the kettle black.

Look at their statements on the budget.

/QUOTE]

I've never hear about anyone being so bold about stating that nobody
should expect what they say publicly has any truth to it. Kyl more or less
said that he lies.

Lady's Human
04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I've never hear about anyone being so bold about stating that nobody
should expect what they say publicly has any truth to it. Kyl more or less
said that he lies.

The question is which is worse? Sen. Kyl stating he doesn't tell the truth or someone like Rep. Rangel who has been caught repeatedly lying and still doesn't own up to the lies?

(Or the voters who keep sending the same bunch of lying fools back to Congress time and time again)