PDA

View Full Version : Amber might have cancer **Passed away 4/14/2011**

Malibu's Mom
04-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi guys. I'm not really active on here yet but I wanted to reach out and ask for some prayers. The last few days Amber has been drooling excessively, not wanting to eat and hissing at you when you touch the side of her mouth. I took her to the vet today and she noticed she has a lump on the left side of her mouth. I could see the concern the moment she found it. Amber was also dehydrated (back in Feb she was diagnosed as being in the beginning stages of kidney failure) so they gave her some SQ fluids. She also got a sedative and a pain med injection. She took x-rays and said it was either cancer or an infection, but I could tell that she was pretty sure it was cancer. She sent it to a radiologist and I should get a call later tonight confirming it or not.

She gave me a list of actions to take if it is indeed cancer. I'm not entirely sure how far I will go with Amber since she is 13 1/2. I am praying so hard that it is just an infection but with the way my vet was behaving I'm really doubting it is. If it is cancer I just don't want to put her through surgery. She's already developing mild senility and her kidney disease seems to be progressing somewhat quickly. She's been dropping weight too. I'm very conflicted right now, and of course, I'm very upset at the idea of losing the cat I have lived with nearly my entire life. I just lost my grandpa in Feb so this has been a very rough year.

However, I am very thankful that I have a wonderful, intelligent vet that respects our decisions and the best mom in the world who is willing to do whatever necessary and not care about the price, even if we don't really have the money. Please pray that we make the right decisions and that, whatever the outcome, Amber remains happy and never feels any pain throughout.

Here's my sweet girl -

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/4035/picture003i.jpg (http://img858.imageshack.us/i/picture003i.jpg/)

Thanks.

**Update - I put Amber to sleep on 4/14/2011 before she felt any more pain. She will be privately cremated and have a paw print cast taken. I miss her tremendously but I know it was the right decision.

katladyd
04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your beloved Amber tonight. I hope the vet brings you good news!:love:

Karen
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Our prayers are with you and Amber in this scary time.

Malibu's Mom
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Well I just got the call a little bit ago that the radiologist was fairly positive that it is indeed a very aggressive and destructive form of cancer. We will be taking her in for a biopsy tomorrow to confirm 100%, but I don't think I'll go through with the surgery. It involved removing the mandible and putting in a feeding tube. Combine that with her age, senility, having arthritis and kidney disease, and knowing her personality... I think she would be miserable. I think I am just going to try to keep her as happy as possible and out of pain for the next few days and then put her to sleep. I am just absolutely balling and shaking right now. :(

karlyb
04-13-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm so sorry about your sweet girl Amber. I went through the same thing with my orange boy Molly several years ago. The surgery would have been too hard on him and what kind of life is that for a cat with part of his jaw removed and not able to eat? I can tell that you love Amber very much and it will be so hard to say good-bye to her. You don't want her to suffer and you'll make the best decision for Amber. She is a beautiful kitty and she'll always be in your heart.

phesina
04-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Oh, I am so sorry. Prayers for Amber and you both.

Medusa
04-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Oh I'm so sorry! It's so disheartening to receive bad news about our furkids, especially one that has been w/us for such a long time. Words aren't much comfort at such a time but I just want you to know that we've all been where you are. It's never an easy decision but it's the last act of kindness that we can do for them. We'll still hold you and Amber in our prayers. :love:

smokey the elder
04-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm so sorry about your precious Amber.

lvpets2002
04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
:( I am sorry to read this too about your precious Amber.. We all know what you & Amber are going thru.. Your Heart will make the right decision.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

krazyaboutkatz
04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( This brings back the sad memories of my RB Sunny. He too had a lump in his lower jaw bone and it was also cancer.:( I decided to just keep him comfortable and then I let him go when he was showing signs of being in too much pain. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Amber's way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catty1
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Amber is just so gorgeous...what a wonderful loving girl you have.

I agree you are doing the right thing - any treatment possible would be too hard on a kitty her age. Did the vet mention any prednisone as a comfort measure?

I hope she is painfree and comfortable and with you for as long as possible.

Kisses to beautiful Amber. :love::love:

Malibu's Mom
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I decided to just skip the biopsy all together. Amber was so frazzled last night after being sedated for the x-rays and I didn't want to put her through that again. She still has pain meds in her system and she seems to be in fairly good spirits, so I have decided that I will put her to sleep tomorrow before she feels any more pain. She will join Morris and Tiger at the RB.

@ Catty1 - We didn't really discuss any drugs. They gave her an NSAID injection yesterday that is supposed to last a few days.

mrspunkysmom
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Amber.

slick
04-13-2011, 06:46 PM
So...tomorrow another kitty angel will fly up to the RB. :(:( This is so sad but for what it's worth, I think you are doing the right thing.

We all know what it's like to lose a furry loved one and we feel your pain and cry with you.

Big hugs...
slick

3Catcondo
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Amber. Losing a fur child is a difficult and horrible thing to go through. Sending prayers to you both during this time. :love:

Amy

Cataholic
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I am so sorry about Amber. Hold her tightly, whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and let her know she will be forever in your heart. You are doing the right thing, no question about it, it is in Amber's best interest. Her heart will understand, while yours will break. That's the price we must pay, and it is so awful to bear.

DriftyAlison0
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
I am so sorry to hear the bad news. You are in my thoughts and prayers. It is always hard to lose a loved one rather it be animal or human. I lost my aunt to cancer this past Feb. myself and I have lost 5 pets in a 2 year period. I am here for you if you need someone to talk to.

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))

Amber loves you very much and is thankful to be pouncing around in the rainbow bridge pain free and no longer senile. She is like a kitten getting all of her favorite foods, and no more medical problems neither. I am sure Tigger and all of the other rb cats are showing her around the place and welcoming her to the clan.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/

Malibu's Mom
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you all once again for your comforting words. The last thing she experienced is me and my mom petting her and telling her it was OK. She was purring and kneading in my lap when she drifted off to sleep after she got the sedative. It was a very peaceful experience. I already miss her so much, but I know that she is happily bounding over the rainbow bridge, free of confusion, stress and pain and for that, I am happy.

krazyaboutkatz
04-15-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Amber:( but I'm glad to hear that her passing was a peaceful one. Now she's up at Rainbow Bridge and is painfree and able to run and play with all of the other animals there. RIP sweet Amber.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

phesina
04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Rest in peace, beloved Amber, free of pain now and playing merrily at the Bridge. Your meowmie and grandmeowmie love you so very much.

Catty1
04-15-2011, 08:48 AM
{{{hugs}}} Amber knew all love at the end...bless you. more {{{hugs}}}:love::love:

pomtzu
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
RIP Amber, and peace to your meowmie too.

Taz_Zoee
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I can't even read through this entire thread right now since I'm at work and already have tears in my eyes. Please know you did the best thing for Amber, even though it was difficult for you.

RIP Amber

Craftlady
04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a shock when your not expecting it. Having just went through it will RB Ms. Eleanor I know what your feeling. May it be a comfort to know our fur babies are playing like kittens at the RBridge :)

sasvermont
04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Amber, rest easy girl. You were loved. Please say hello to all the Pet Talk pets up there in RB. Your Mom will miss you forever. :love::love::love::love:

Medusa
04-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Just keep telling yourself that Amber is at peace b/c she is. You will know peace, too. You'll miss her but soon it'll be only good memories. :love:

catmandu
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Amber is now in New Orleans with Our Awesome Angels Army and is now resplendent with her Wings of Silver and Gold.
She wants her Meeowmie to know how much she loves you , and not to be too sad as it was her time to be an Angel.
She will now be looking for a place where you will be reunited in a love, in a place where you will be happy together again.
One Fine Day.:love:

Pinot's Mom
04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
My heart goes out to you. You absolutely did right by Amber, this cancer is a miserable thing to go through. We lost our kitty Jamara to it nine years ago. It is just so heartwrenching.

RIP, Amber, Godspeed to the Bridge. Peace to your family here; whisper to your Mom you're OK every once in a while. She'll need to hear it.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Malibu's Mom
04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Thank you all once more. I have to say, I feel so blessed to have a house full of mischievous animals to keep me preoccupied. Especially the two "kittens" (23 and 18 months, lol) who are constantly keeping me on my toes. I was spoiled to have all that time with Amber and I hope I can have that much time with the remaining group. :)

karlyb
04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Sweet Amber is a kitty angel now and still feeling all the love you gave her. She'll be forever in your heart.

moosmom
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I just now saw this and am SO sorry to hear about Amber. She was a beautiful soul.

RIP beauiful lady.

maerlyn
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Although I've been registered here quite a while, I haven't visited much and am trying to rectify that. Your story brought me to tears. I,too, had a cat with cancer (VAS caused by the 3-year rabies vaccine), so I can identify with your suffering. I made the same decision as you - I kept Morganna comfortable and happy as long as I could and then had her sent to the Bridge; her transition,too, was peaceful and gentle.

My heart breaks for you, for I know there's a hole in your home and in your heart; the "kittens" will help. When my beloved Merlin passed to the Bridge, I adopted Mordred - about 4 months old. He could make me laugh but couldn't keep me from crying; I imagine the same is true for you.

You absolutely made the right decision! No one wants to live as your beloved Amber - who's gorgeous, btw - would have had to live here; she's living in Paradise, and that is so much better.

May Amber's Creator comfort you and help you to find peace.:love: