PDA

View Full Version : Cat odor help

JenBKR
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey friends, I need help! Last week a neighbor's cat somehow got into our house without our knowing and was here for a few days before we found it. Don't ask me how it got it, we haven't figured that one out yet! The cat peed/sprayed all over the upstairs of the house. We actually thought it was our cat making the stink and took her to the vet. The smell is awful and I can't seem to get it out. Any recommendations?

Freedom
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
If it is in upholstered furniture, you have to toss the item. I haven't found a way to get it out, the "stuffing" absorbs it SOOOo deep, you can't get it.

Launder everything you can, bet you knew that already.

What other "substances" got it?

JenBKR
04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I *think* it's mostly the carpet i have to worry about. I know that we might have to replace it, but it's not quite in the budget right now so I am trying to avoid going that route if possible. I'm not sure what would be best for cleaning a large area of carpet.

Medusa
04-12-2011, 06:40 AM
I've used Urine Gone which you can buy at Bed Bath and Beyond. You have to saturate the offended area w/it, scrub w/soap and water, saturate again and scrub as needed. Then allow it to dry. If it's in furniture and you can remove cushion covers, then just launder the covers and use the Urine Gone on the cushions in the same manner. This has really worked for me plus it removes all evidence of the stain, too. Hope this helps. :)

catmandu
04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I will have to ask My Vet , he gave me an odor neutralizer for when Panther was still spraying a bit after his neuter.
:)
It worked so well.
:cool:

mruffruff
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Soak any area that has been sprayed with Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle. Be sure to use a lot and hit every surface. Do not wipe up. Allow to dry. Repeat if needed. In extreme cases, try Bac-A-Zap from the exterminator supply store. Bac-A-Zap is used by pest control to eliminate the odor of dead animals so it works right away, while the other solutions take a couple of days to eliminate the smell.

lvpets2002
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
:eek: Oh my my what a surprise I will bet.. Yes try Urine Gone or the Citrus Spray with Enzymes in the Cat Dept of Walmart.. That spray works great & it wont stain && also it is very safe around people & pets..

Catty1
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I went to a janitorial supply place and picked up a gallon of enzymatic deodorizer. That's what Nature's Miracle, etc are. The janitorial supply places carry strong concentrates of the stuff. I wonder if it can be used in a carpet steam cleaner.

Good luck!

PS - what happened to the trapped cat? Does he have owners somewhere?

lvpets2002
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
:) Ok I just read a article on cat pee.. It said to Use 1 part White Vinegar with 1 part water & soak area & brush the area & with scott towl soak all up.. Then get Baking Soda & Sprinkle over area.. Then get 1/4 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide with 1 tsp of Dish Soap (dawn) & mix together & pour over Baking Soda & let all dry by air && then vacumn up after all has dried.. Hey it sounds timley but sounds like it would work.. Good Luck.. Hey what happen to the cat??

JenBKR
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I actually bought a couple of the things recommended here and I'll let you know how it goes. We are starting with Simple Solutine and Urine Gone. Praying that this works! Thanks!

The cat is back home, my husband took him back to our neighbor. It is an outside cat so I don't even think they noticed that it was gone :(

JenBKR
04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
:) Ok I just read a article on cat pee.. It said to Use 1 part White Vinegar with 1 part water & soak area & brush the area & with scott towl soak all up.. Then get Baking Soda & Sprinkle over area.. Then get 1/4 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide with 1 tsp of Dish Soap (dawn) & mix together & pour over Baking Soda & let all dry by air && then vacumn up after all has dried.. Hey it sounds timley but sounds like it would work.. Good Luck.. Hey what happen to the cat??

Hmm that sounds interesting.....I may try that if the other things don't work. Wouldn't the peroxide change the color of the carpet? I'll have to try it on a small part first. I'll try anything to get the smell out! At least Katie isn't trying to cover it up with her own pee!

lvpets2002
04-13-2011, 10:49 AM
:) Yup I would try a small section first.. I dont know if the carpet color would change or not.. But if it does work then what the heck.. Diff color carpet sure beats the heck out of cat pee smell.. Yes thank goodness your other cat is not trying to pee on top of the pee.. Yes they will do that to get their smell there..

Hmm that sounds interesting.....I may try that if the other things don't work. Wouldn't the peroxide change the color of the carpet? I'll have to try it on a small part first. I'll try anything to get the smell out! At least Katie isn't trying to cover it up with her own pee!

JenBKR
04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
:) Yup I would try a small section first.. I dont know if the carpet color would change or not.. But if it does work then what the heck.. Diff color carpet sure beats the heck out of cat pee smell.. Yes thank goodness your other cat is not trying to pee on top of the pee.. Yes they will do that to get their smell there..

That's true, I don't think I care at this point if the carpet is a different color I just want the smell gone!! :)