PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans, California, it is! So excited. (suggestions welcome!)

CountryWolf07
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
So, change of plans, I was planning on going to Colorado, until Mike asked me two weeks ago if I wanted to come with him to California for two weeks! He's going out there for work-related purposes, but he is taking two days off so he can explore with me for the first two days. His boss recommended him to take me out there and I'm touched by that.
I will be staying in Anaheim/Riverside basically staying around the Los Angeles area. I have never been to California so I'm looking forward to it. I am sure I will experience some kind of a cultural shock since I'm from Cleveland. I am sure it's a big difference!
So far, Mike and I will go to Disneyland (that is if, I end up with passes from a friend who works at the park), walk around Los Angeles, check out the beach (what's the difference between all of these beaches?!), see Hollywood sign/walk of fame.. I don't know what else, really. If you have any suggestions that's worth seeing in Los Angeles/Hollywood area or outside of it, feel free. So far, my aunt and I are planning to go Whale Watching off Dana Point and the Palm Springs Arial Tramway..
I am thinking I'd also like to see the Santa Monica Pier, San Diego Zoo or Los Angeles Zoo (your suggestion?), Joshua Tree National Park (I've got to see at least ONE National Park out west..), see the Pacific Coastal Highway, and the famous Getty Center (love art museums, so this would be very interesting to go check out!)..
That's about it. Oh I'm bringing my D60 with me, so I did purchase a lens yesterday, the 18-270mm Tamron, so I can't wait to use that and take pictures, I know I will end up with a lot by the time I come back home. :)
I really am looking forward to getting out of Ohio. I think I need a change of scenery just for a short while, so it should do me some good!

Edwina's Secretary
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
You have covered many things I would recommend. If you decide on San Diego Zoo - they have a park outside of San Diego called Safari Park - it is also wonderful. You can get passes that enable you to go to both that and the zoo in downtown San Diego.

If you are coming to Dana Point you should also see Mission San Juan Capistrano. In addition to be an incredibly beautiful place - it is about the history of California. San Juan Capistrano is on one side of Dana Point. Onthe north side of Dana Point is Laguna Beach. One of my favorite places to take visitors is the public beach that runs in front of the Montage Resort which is on Pacific Coast Highway. The scenery is incredible.

You might also consider taking the boat to Catalina Island. It is a fun ride and the island is interesting. Boats run from San Pedro and Dana Point.

carole
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
sounds like a real fun time ahead, it has been many, many years since i lasted visited LA and San Diego, but i can remember it , as if it were yesterday, i love San Diego, LA not so much, but so many wonderful exciting things to do there.

Have a great time and make the most of it.,you are only young once.:)

Medusa
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
You've already mentioned several places I would have recommended except the old Queen Mary which is moored in Long Beach. I've been there 3 times, stayed overnight once. I can't get enough of it. I love it. Give it a whirl. :)

If you do go to Catalina Island and you're prone to motion sickness as I am, take some Dramamine. I didn't b/c I was told that it was a gentle boat ride. Ugh. I was sick the entire day. If I had taken dramamine, I would've been fine.

One more thing: if you know any magicians who are members and who could give you a couple of passes, go to the Magic Castle. That's the only way you can get in. It's really neat to explore, you open the door by saying "Open sesame". (I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.) The food is out of this world, too. The boy and I had a great time there.

caseysmom
04-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Even though I live in California I'm in the north and I still get overwhelmed in southern cal.

My daughter goes to school in San Diego, I highly recommend the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park.

Karen
04-12-2011, 02:06 AM
The Getty Museum and the San Diego Zoo are both what I would recommend. I think you'll be blown away by the museum itself as well as the treasures it holds. I don;t know if Mike is as into that stuff as you are, maybe that's something you could do while he is working if not.