PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Playoffs 2011

Grace
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Only in Canada

MONTREAL

A move is afoot to reschedule a federal election debate slated for Thursday so it doesn't conflict with the opening game of the Montreal Canadiens' first-round playoff series against the Boston Bruins.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe got the ball rolling Sunday by saying there's little doubt hockey-mad Montreal fans will choose the game over the debate.

NDP Leader Jack Layton later echoed those sentiments, the Liberals followed suit, and the Conservatives said they could live with whatever the debate broadcasters decide.

Bloc leader Duceppe wants other party leaders to join him in urging the consortium of broadcasters who organize the debate to move it back a day.

He pointed out that the first English debate is scheduled for Tuesday, before the playoffs begin. The only other Canadian team in the playoffs is the Vancouver Canucks, who still don't know their first-round opponent.

"All I'm asking is that the debate take place Wednesday so that Quebecers have as much access to this debate as Canadians," Duceppe said.

"We all know that hockey is very popular in Canada and in Quebec, which is why it would be a better idea to push the French debate back to allow hockey fans to watch the debate as well as the game on Thursday night."

The response from two of the other parties was strongly in favor, while the answer from the Tories was more equivocal.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the decision belongs to the broadcasters and the Tory leader will be there whichever day they choose.

Smart move by the politicians - otherwise nobody would watch a debate when they could be watch 2 of the Original Six play :D

phesina
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I think this is great! The Canadians clearly have their priorities in the right places.

Grace
04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
SWEEP !!!!!!

First there is a 15 second commercial, then the fun begins (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=110210) . . . . .

cassiesmom
04-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Vancouver 2, Hawks 1. Never dreamed it would end on a single goal. Oh, well. Our Chicago teams haven't won back to back championships since the Bulls 1995-97 "three-peat repeat".

JenBKR
05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
With my Pens out of the running I am trying to decide who to cheer for. I think I am going with Boston - if for no other reason than I want the Flyers out. I am hoping for Boston and Tampa Bay in the conference finals and Boston going to the SCF. I don't watch much of the west, who do you guys think will make it out there? Vancouver or San Jose maybe?

davidpizzica
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
With my Pens out of the running I am trying to decide who to cheer for. I think I am going with Boston - if for no other reason than I want the Flyers out. I am hoping for Boston and Tampa Bay in the conference finals and Boston going to the SCF. I don't watch much of the west, who do you guys think will make it out there? Vancouver or San Jose maybe?

I agree, Jen. I don't want the Flyers in there, either. I hope Boston can wipe them off the face of the earth!

Karen
05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for rooting for the Bruins! They may not be the most elegant team on skates, but they do play like they mean it!

pomtzu
05-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Quit picking on the Flyers, guys!:( One more game and they'll be gone. :p

JenBKR
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Quit picking on the Flyers, guys!:( One more game and they'll be gone. :p

Can I pick on the Capitals then? So hoping they are OUT tonight! They surprise me every year, I think they will be a tough team in the playoffs but they don't seem to make it far. Which makes me :D

JenBKR
05-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow - Red Wings and Flyers both out tonight maybe? What do you think? That would make for an awful lot of sweeps so far this playoffs!

Grace
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Wings continue on. Flyers still in for another period - at least.

pomtzu
05-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Wings continue on. Flyers still in for another period - at least.

Bye-bye Flyers!!! :p

*LabLoverKEB*
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
go sharks

Grace
05-07-2011, 04:02 PM
go sharks

I would prefer they go right into the tank, but I think you might have the winner in this series :)

Grace
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
And so we come to the end of the 2010-2011 NHL season.

Three of the past four years, the Cup has been won by an Original 6 team -

2008 - Detroit
2010 - Chicago
2011 - Boston

Congratulations to the Boston Bruins !!

Karen
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Woooooo hooooo!

Grace
06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
And then there was this. (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup/story/2011/06/15/bc-stanley-cup-fans-post-game-7.html)

What a shame - I did not expect this to happen in Vancouver.

smokey the elder
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Definitely out-of-character for Canadians to misbehave like that!

Congratulations, Bruins! And to the goalie Thomas for winning the Conn Smythe. First shutout in Game 7 since my Devils did it in 2003.

cheche
06-16-2011, 08:47 AM
And so we come to the end of the 2010-2011 NHL season.

Three of the past four years, the Cup has been won by an Original 6 team -

2008 - Detroit
2010 - Chicago
2011 - Boston

Congratulations to the Boston Bruins !!

I always say it's the team who wants the win the most that usually ends up winning. I think it's great that it's one of the original six :D

With the help of the media, I feel that the game has become a team of individuals (most being overpaid) and we all know that there is no 'i' in team!

cheche
06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
It's a shame about the rioting. There seem to be a small group that lay in wait for any large event and then explode afterward. Over the last several years, it's happened in many of our large cities.

lvpets2002
06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
:rolleyes: Yup that was so Crazy of the Canadians getting out of control..

:) I second that Congrats to the Winning Team..

Definitely out-of-character for Canadians to misbehave like that!

Congratulations, Bruins! And to the goalie Thomas for winning the Conn Smythe. First shutout in Game 7 since my Devils did it in 2003.

Shelteez2
06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
And then there was this. (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup/story/2011/06/15/bc-stanley-cup-fans-post-game-7.html)

I did expect that to happen, Vancouver is known for its riots. I was waiting to see how long it would take.

And please do not judge all Canadians by their actions... when Calgary lost in game 7 back in '04 we did not riot.

sparks19
06-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I did expect that to happen, Vancouver is known for its riots. I was waiting to see how long it would take.

And please do not judge all Canadians by their actions... when Calgary lost in game 7 back in '04 we did not riot.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I totally expected it from Vancouver lol.

Man waking up to remember that the Bruins won the stanley cup is like waking up with a really BAD hangover :p

Grace
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
With the help of the media, I feel that the game has become a team of individuals (most being overpaid) and we all know that there is no 'i' in team!

The Red Wings of 2002 were a team in every sense of the word. A collection of super stars who played together, who deferred salary in order to get specific players.

In training camp, Hull was roomed with Hasek - Hull had scored the Dallas winning goal against Hasek when Dallas beat Buffalo in 2000.

lvpets2002
06-16-2011, 12:49 PM
:rolleyes: Well to me it looked like a bunch of young punks with nothing better to do than to be violent in the streets.. ** Normally the Canadians are very well acting & reserved.. **

~~WoW sparks19 == A Bad HangOver = MMmmm ~~

This is exactly what I was going to say. I totally expected it from Vancouver lol.

Man waking up to remember that the Bruins won the stanley cup is like waking up with a really BAD hangover :p

Grace
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Boston became the first city in the 21st Century to have all four of its major professional league teams win a league championship in a single decade, and it is the only city ever to have championships in all four major professional leagues within a ten-year span (from the Patriots' victory in February 2005 to the Bruins' in June 2011).

http://theremyreport.innuity.com/userimages/Bruins/Bruins%20Black%20Logo%20500.jpg?rand=1308018060

phesina
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM

I didn't think Canadians did things like that!

sparks19
06-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh yes... I do NOT like the Bruins lol. I'm a Canadiens fan... it's just part of the deal :D and I've had my fair share of really bad hangovers in my youth lol

But I have to say... it was hard to like either team in this playoff series.

I hope Bettman realizes why he's being booed. I mean he's been booed every year for quite some time now but this year it was even more than usual. This year was plagued with cheap hits and major injuries and the powers that be have done absolutely NOTHING. Heck just look at how many major injuries there were just in this series alone and yet the vast majority of them go completely unpunished. what is it going to take?

Karen
06-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I was pleased that there was no rioting in Boston, and sad for the Vancouver fans that all that mayhem happened. Can't people celebrate - or sulk - without setting things on fire?

And I heard one Vancouver sportscaster complaining today that the bruins "roughed up" "the twins" - well, neither of them has a season-ending concussion like one of their teammates gave a Bruin .... It sounded like sour grapes to me, right out of Aesop's fables, frankly.

Lady's Human
06-16-2011, 05:24 PM
What would the players from the '70s think about all this whining about rough play?

No helmets, gloves/pads weren't as thick and as flexible as they are now.

It's hockey, not figure skating with sticks.

cassiesmom
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I think what happened in Vancouver is sad. You might remember there were riots in Chicago in 1992 after the Bulls won. I wish it wouldn't happen in any city, for any reason (sports win, sports loss, or anything else). I enjoyed seeing Vancouver when the Olympics were televised and I would like to go there.

sparks19
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
What would the players from the '70s think about all this whining about rough play?

No helmets, gloves/pads weren't as thick and as flexible as they are now.

It's hockey, not figure skating with sticks.

no no... there is a difference between physical contact and CHEAP shots. and the players from the 70's would NOT look kindly on cheap shots that result in these injuries.

I am not faint of heart but I also hate to see blatant disrespect for the game and the players.