PDA

View Full Version : Dr appointmet

Marigold2
04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Dear friends,
I wanted to post a little rant or should I say information here for people about their Dr. appoinmtents. Important tips that many, many patients especially the elderly whom I deal with on a daily basis don't know or follow.
1) Please bring your insurance card. Make sure you bring the correct insurance. Not the one you had last year or last month or five years ago.
If you are not sure there is a number on the back to call. If your card is old and damaged call and it will be replaced free of charge.
I will not call your insurance company when you come in for an appointment unless you need tests or surgery ASAP, I don't have time.
Nor do I know what your insurance covers for the most part or if you have met your deductable. It is YOUR INSURANCE get the info before you come in.
2) If are on any meds bring in a list. Have it in your wallet and I will make a copy. And yes everything counts, all drugs count. Do NOT lie about smoking or drinking either, we can smell the smoke on you and the drink.
3) You need to fill out the entire form I give you not just the parts you think are important or the surgeries you think are important, it is all important.
4) If your appointment is at 8:00am and you show up at 7:30 I won't be there and I won't be happy. It takes us 15 minutes to open in the morning, have a second cup of coffee at home and come at 8:00.
Don't come 1/2 before your app or 1/2 late. No you will NOT be seen early if you come early. If your app is at 2 and you waltz in at 1:15 I will take the other patients first and you will wait till 2.
5) Yes we run behind and yes we have a lot of emergencies. Sorry that you have a hair app or have to pick up the kids or have a dinner date. But we just had a to tell someone their cancer has retured, they have Lupus or we need to cut that piece of metal out of the eye, think you can wait? If not then try and be a little bit understanding at least. There is someone here who has an emergency and is suffering and afraid.
6) If you are bringing mom or dad or grandma or Aunt Martha please have her info with you, see numbers 1 and 2 please.
7) You know and I know that mom should NOT be driving. Stop wimping out. She will kill an innocent person and herself. Want to live with that?
Want to explain that to your teenage kids?
8) Most records are electronic now and many Docs are entering the info this way as we do. I can pull up your name, birth date and SS and see what meds you take, what surgery you had, lab test, etc etc.
I will keep that info private ALWAYS. I will ALWAYS repect that.
My co-workers are the same.
9) We really do care, everyone of us does. In our office the doctors and the entire staff care about the patients, we treat them like family, we hear about their pets, their children, they tell us about their lives good and bad. We rejoice in your good news and are truly saddened when things are not as you hoped.
10) So again when you go to the Dr office any Dr know that they are there to help and you can help yourself by being honest, bringing a list of meds and respecting the time frame.

Lady's Human
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
In response to #1:

When I give you my insurance card, enter the information into your database accurately.

The first mistake I can understand, after all, APWU and NALC are very close acronyms. However, the insurance companies are different, and I dislike getting billed for covered items for the 17th time because you enter what you thought it was and not what is actually is.

I don't know the billing codes for different items related to coverage, you do. If you enter them incorrectly, you won't have for the error, I will. You get paid to know the codes and the billing systems. It's your job, it's what the practice pays you for, and it's part of my bill.

If I've told your office 4 times that I'm allergic to a drug, please enter it into my records. I can't. Again, your job, not mine.

If I have an appointment at 0800 and I show up at 0730, it's because I just left work and I scheduled the appointment to fit into my schedule. I understand you need a few minutes to open, but all I'm going to do is sit in the waiting area and wait. I understand there are emergencies, but if I schedule an appointment for 0800 and you don't see me until 0900, I'm going to be irritated. Don't bother taking my blood pressure. Respect for time frame goes both ways.

caseysmom
04-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I have never in 26 years had to show my vision insurance card, I tell them who I am insured with and it has been on record the whole time, never even asked about it just asked if I am still with the same insurance.

My pet peeve, don't dialate my eyes then expect me to be able to pick out glasses...I got there 15 minutes early to pick out frames, don't make me go back for the appointment because its easier for you, I specifically said I arrived early to pick out frames without dialation.

wombat2u2004
04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah Marigold.
And you have to provide coffee and peanuts for us to. :p

Bonny
04-08-2011, 07:22 AM
A person sure doesn't get much respect either way. What gets me is when you get your eyes checked & need new lenses they push new frames also when you don't need new frames. Then they tell you if your frames break while they are putting the new lenses in your old frames they aren't going to be held responsible. You end up signing a paper that says they aren't responsible if your frames should break. Then they tell you they don't have any frames in the place if your old frames should break to fit your new lenses. What a bunch of bull sh--. You pay a lot of money for frames in the first place & they should hold up regardless.

Karen
04-08-2011, 07:23 AM
That's one reason I order glasses online - so much cheaper, that it doesn't matter! Frames for $8 can break if they want, but when I paid $400 - $600, I would have been furious!

Bonny
04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
That's one reason I order glasses online - so much cheaper, that it doesn't matter! Frames for $8 can break if they want, but when I paid $400 - $600, I would have been furious!

Not only that but I heard one of the (technician/sales ladies) tell an old man the same thing. My husband asked for his prescription lenses paper just in case & planned to go else where if they broke the glasses getting the lenses in. They got them in without breaking the frames. It is sell, sell, sell to any sucker they can sucker. There were at least 5 techs., that we saw helping with the eye exams including the (2) receptionists. You get to see a REAL EYE DOCTOR for about 15 minutes. Then they try to push a bunch of other tests on you & I asked the cost up front. I had the tests & got to see the results, eye balls with a bunch veins running through them. Besides that they are going to build a NEW building the old one isn't good enough. So they have to Sell, Sell, Sell, got to pay for that new building. :p

Freedom
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Marigold:

EXCELLENT list! I've seen similar in the past. Yup, I do all that, AND for my Dad as well as me!

We tend to arrive early as I am dealing w/ a dementia patient / parent. Getting him to move is a SLOW process. We start about 3 hours before the appt time. If we happen to get there 15 minutes early, GREAT, we will sit and wait, we don't mind. Just be sure to let me know where the men's room is, old men with uncontrolled diabetes (and all those other ailments you see on his computerized medical record) gotta go about every 25 minutes. :rolleyes:

We tend to arrive early EXCEPT when we arrive late; it happens. Again, I am dealing w/ a dementia patient. Sometimes, he just sits and refuses to move for half an hour. If we will be more than 15 minutes late, I call to let you know and ask if you want us to come or reschedule; thankfully, Dad's docs and staff do understand about dementia and can usually fit us in same day. If we are bumped by an hour, hey I understand; but we are going to just keep moving to get there, arrive early for the new time, and sit and wait -- I can't afford to have him sit down and get stubborn again!

Let me tell you about our dogs and cats . . . . . :D

momcat
04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
About your point #8. This electronic medical nonsense has gone too far! It's insulting and dehumanizing. I DO NOT want my private and personal information on any type of computer. Please don't insult my intelligence by saying your system is secure, IT IS NOT! There's no such thing as a secure computer. I keep a list of all medications, my doctors' phone numbers and insurance information with me at all times, my son has copies of everything in his wallet. That way I know the information is accurate unlike anything off a computer.
I'm insulin dependent diabetic and will go off insulin BEFORE I consent to this. These electronic records are why I refuse to see any other doctor for any reason. When my endocrinologist asks a question I ask if it's going on the computer, if it is I won't answer the question and they know why.

Please give your patients a choice about this indignity. Shoving this down our throats damages trust and confidence in the doctors.

Catty1
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
momcat - JMO, paper records are even more insecure. Very easy to just walk off with. And easily destroyed in the case of fire. At least the computer has a record of who on staff was checking your records, and they better have a good reason why!

Again, that's just me - paper records can be dehumanizing too. They're just records, that's all.

I don't pay much for glasses frames. The assistant there - and this is a small town, so BS would get around quickly - also told me about the 'old frames' thing. She also showed me how to hold frames correctly, a plus! I was told we create stress points on our frames over time, and I find that quite easy to believe.

Bonny
04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
momcat - JMO, paper records are even more insecure. Very easy to just walk off with. And easily destroyed in the case of fire. At least the computer has a record of who on staff was checking your records, and they better have a good reason why!

Again, that's just me - paper records can be dehumanizing too. They're just records, that's all.

I don't pay much for glasses frames. The assistant there - and this is a small town, so BS would get around quickly - also told me about the 'old frames' thing. She also showed me how to hold frames correctly, a plus! I was told we create stress points on our frames over time, and I find that quite easy to believe.

What is frustrating you can pay them $300-$400 for what you are thinking are good frames that will last a good 5 years at least. It use to be your frames would last a good 10 years. Now it is just throw them away & get a new pair." WASTEFUL SOCIETY" They use to have a box for people to put their old glasses in to send to third world countries now there isn't a box there anymore. The expensive (cheap) glass frames must all break now so the people in the third world countries will have to go without.

Marigold2
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
On a daily basis we see someone such as your dad. Your job is endless and more difficult then most people know. And yes because of people such as your father we truly run behind, it is so difficult to exam these folks and no we will not rush them and no we will not rush you and your many questions, you have that right. And we don't get mad or upset, it is what we do. The only people that get upset are other patients that don't like to wait.
We deal with mostly elderly patients and surgery patients they take a while and have tons of questions about their upcoming surgery, thats ok.

Marigold:

EXCELLENT list! I've seen similar in the past. Yup, I do all that, AND for my Dad as well as me!

We tend to arrive early as I am dealing w/ a dementia patient / parent. Getting him to move is a SLOW process. We start about 3 hours before the appt time. If we happen to get there 15 minutes early, GREAT, we will sit and wait, we don't mind. Just be sure to let me know where the men's room is, old men with uncontrolled diabetes (and all those other ailments you see on his computerized medical record) gotta go about every 25 minutes. :rolleyes:

We tend to arrive early EXCEPT when we arrive late; it happens. Again, I am dealing w/ a dementia patient. Sometimes, he just sits and refuses to move for half an hour. If we will be more than 15 minutes late, I call to let you know and ask if you want us to come or reschedule; thankfully, Dad's docs and staff do understand about dementia and can usually fit us in same day. If we are bumped by an hour, hey I understand; but we are going to just keep moving to get there, arrive early for the new time, and sit and wait -- I can't afford to have him sit down and get stubborn again!

Let me tell you about our dogs and cats . . . . . :D

Marigold2
04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I do this all the time Wom, I bring in candy, offer patients cookies and even cake sometimes, get them coffee if it is a long wait. Oh yes we do it all.
Yeah Marigold.
And you have to provide coffee and peanuts for us to. :p

Taz_Zoee
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I understand emergencies and don't mind waiting if that's the case. At my doctor or the vet office.
But just last week I went in for my annual "lady" exam. I got there on time for my appointment. Went into the room and put on the paper thin robe and sat on the table with the paper over my lap. On my way to the room I saw my doctor sitting at her desk on the computer. I sat in that freezing cold room with basically no clothes on for almost 30 minutes before she came in to see me. Now I may not have been so irritated if she (or someone) had popped their head into the room to apologize and let me know they didn't forget about me and that they'd be with me soon. The exam only took about 20 minutes. Would have been less if I hadn't had some other questions.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
A person sure doesn't get much respect either way.

Agreed. Most of the time our doctors appointments go very smoothly, but there is always the exception.

-Please don't leave a message on my answering machine a week before my appointment, canceling the appointment I made 9 months ago. I understand the doctor may have a legitimate reason for not making our appointment, but I don't appreciate the late Friday afternoon message you left on my answering machine informing me you've moved up my appointment to first thing this Monday morning. And when I call back to let you know that I'm unable to make that new appointment, please don't get annoyed with me and tell me I'll be charged $30 for canceling. YOU canceled on me, so I will not be paying that $30, thank you very much.

-Please don't stay out to lunch until 1:30 when you have appointments starting at 1:00.

cassiesmom
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Dear Patient,

-It's never a bad idea to write down the things you want to talk to the doctor about. If there are several, you can even number them so you and your doctor talk about your highest priorities first. The highest priority question should be asked when the doctor enters the room, not when s/he is opening the door to leave the room at the end of your visit. We want to make the best of your visit.
-If you have prescriptions from more than one physician, please bring them all or a list (include everything you take!) so we can review them.
-If you are coming for an appointment, if at all possible, please don't bring your young child with you. And if you bring her with you, please don't leave her in the waiting area while you are in the exam room.
-If you are going to be late, please call and let us know. We might ask you to reschedule.
-I really need you to know your insurance plan. I don't know the subtle little nuances of each individual plan. If you are in doubt, bring your book and we'll figure it out together. Please don't yell at me about what your insurance plan does or does not cover. That's something you need to speak with the plan and/or your employer about. I can't change what they have decided.
-Don't lie to me or stretch the truth. As a nurse, I'm a pretty good BS detector. It's YOUR health and I appreciate your honesty.

Dear Doctor,
Yes, I'm a nurse, but I'm also a patient. That said, here are some things I'd like you to keep in mind.
-My background is in rehabilitation. I'm not a med/surg nurse. Sometimes I need information in lay terms.
-I admit that I'm not as adherent with your treatment recommendations as I should be. Please help me do a better job.
-Sometimes an 11th hour cancellation can't be avoided. I appreciate your office manager giving me the benefit of the doubt before she assesses me a $50 missed appointment fee.
-I hate to be stuck in the exam room for 45 minutes after the CMA takes my vitals and tells me you'll be right in. If you're that far behind, I'd like to know it before I'm roomed.
-I understand that because of managed care, I have only 11.73 minutes with you. I truly appreciate it when you take more time with me, even though it puts you further behind.
-I am very grateful for the hundred little things you do for me between visits, such as completing prior authorization forms, communicating with my pharmacy about medication refills and speaking with other doctors about my care.
-Please don't enter the room looking all flustered and then start by saying, "I'm sorry to keep you waiting, I'm so far behind." That makes me feel like I need to rush through this appointment. I need your total time and attention for the next 11.73 minutes. Don't be typing into the EMR while you're talking to me. That makes me think you're not completely focused on what we're talking about.
-I would love it if you'd hire another physician or advanced practice nurse to give the practice more evening and weekend hours. That would be so helpful for me. I work full-time so it is just not practical for me to see you at 1:30 PM a week from Tuesday.

Dear Office Staff of My Parents' Doctors,
-I am calling you as their daughter with questions/concerns about their health. You have their written permission in their respective charts to speak with me. Please help me help them-- when I call with questions or problems, I need you to get back to me, not them. Yes, I'm aware that they each see three different physicians out of four different hospital systems total. I'm just trying to help them keep things straight. Your help is much appreciated!

cassiesmom
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Dear dermatologist's office,

You put me in the exam room farthest away from the front desk, and then you forgot I was back there. I waited almost an hour before I decided to see what was going on. Even though you denied it, it was pretty clear from the looks on the staff's faces that I had been forgotten about. You should have seen me at no charge that day. I'm pretty steaming mad that you billed my insurance after you made me wait that long. Don't let this happen again.

Marigold2
04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Cassiesmom loved all your points, sorry about the stupid skin dr.

Marigold2
04-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Wow, I sense a lot of anger here.
Couple things you should know.
Almost all hospitals have electronic charting and soon almost all dr's will as well, if they refuse they will be fined and will recieve less money back from the insurance company. You won't have a choice.
As for being secure, it is as secure as the people who are employed in any place be it a doctor, nurse aid, housekeeper, janitor, receptionist etc.
Right now with paper charts any one can go into a doctors office and copy hundreds of SS numbers down. At least with electronic charting it is password protected.
Don't want your SS number given out. No worries we already have it. How? Your Medicare number is often your SS number, if you have Medical Mutual or several other insurances they used to or still do use your social security number as an ID, used to be on your drivers license as well.
I had one older patient yell at me "I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY SS NUMBER" I then asked him for his insurance cards and sure enough he had Medicare and there it was. Almost all doc's office's ask and have always asked for a SS number, why we need it in case of your death to fill out the death certificate. Once we have it on file weather it is 5 years ago or 10 years ago we have it on file. We do our very very best to keep it secure as ours is there as well.
As far as the information on the electronic charts. When you see the heart doc he documents his findings, any changes in your condition and any changes in meds on those charts. Then when you go to your endo he sees what the heart doc wrote and can adjust his findings to that and his recommendations for meds, then next week when you go to the foot doc he see what the heart and endo guy have found, looks at your graphs, test results, meds they gave you and is on the same page with everyone there by giving you superior care. Instead of three doctors working in the dark all three are now seeing what the other is doing and can gauge information on what is best for you there by making sure you are also not recieiving the wrong meds or too many meds.
This is extremely important for people who are seeing many doctors and are taking many different meds and treatments.
People with cancer and their doctors are finding this very helpful I have first hand knowledge of that in our patients as we send test results, lab work, charts and graphs, notes, faxes, phone calls back and forth. It is nice to go on the computer and see just when so and so is having that CAT scan and what the results are and when the MRI is scheduled and who she is seeing next, and what is the next step.
It is time saving and life saving.
As for personal info that you might find too personal, trust me we have heard it all and we don't care about your bowel movement, or the IUD problem or your husbands problem, why because we are busy, we are pros and frankly we heard the same thing last week, yesterday and this morning. Kind of like seeing one naked body you have seen them all.
We are here to work, to help, to heal and then to go home and be with those who we love and who love us.

About your point #8. This electronic medical nonsense has gone too far! It's insulting and dehumanizing. I DO NOT want my private and personal information on any type of computer. Please don't insult my intelligence by saying your system is secure, IT IS NOT! There's no such thing as a secure computer. I keep a list of all medications, my doctors' phone numbers and insurance information with me at all times, my son has copies of everything in his wallet. That way I know the information is accurate unlike anything off a computer.
I'm insulin dependent diabetic and will go off insulin BEFORE I consent to this. These electronic records are why I refuse to see any other doctor for any reason. When my endocrinologist asks a question I ask if it's going on the computer, if it is I won't answer the question and they know why.

Please give your patients a choice about this indignity. Shoving this down our throats damages trust and confidence in the doctors.

Freedom
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Momcat, the move to computerized records is not something any individual doctor, or our PT Marigold, is putting in to place. You have every right to oppose the computerization, and to make that known. I suspect you are bucking the tide on this one, but it is good to have folks like you trying to ensure the integrity of the documentation.

This made me chuckle:
"I had one older patient yell at me "I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY SS NUMBER" I then asked him for his insurance cards and sure enough he had Medicare and there it was. " :D

Elyse wrote: "If you have prescriptions from more than one physician, please bring them all or a list (include everything you take!) so we can review them."
I actually did this, my last annual physical. I thought my doc was going to drop to the floor in a dead faint! Apparently, I was the first one in AGES to comply! Hahahaaaa, we had a great laugh once she recovered!

Grace
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Just curious - how many of you obtain, and keep, the results of every lab test, x-ray, biopsy you have had?

My MD is pretty good about sending me the results, but I make sure I get a copy of every test I have. I have a 3-ring binder with lab tests, USN (ultrasounds), x-rays, MRI, EEG, EKG, CT scans, path reports. I even have the OR notes from my last surgery.

There are times, if the reports are lengthy, when there might be charge - usually no more than 10¢ per page. I feel it is worth the cost to have the records.

K9karen
04-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Well, Bless me.

I swear, I must be the luckiest person alive. Except for an occassional wait at the orthopedic (which I understand because everyone is in agony) I've never had to wait long once I'm in the exam room. And all my specialists spend quality time with me. OK, I write down questions, I'm a pro now (good or bad?) i have my meds written down and have told John, my brother, that it's in my wallet.

I just got a bill from the ER and on it, it omitted my secondary insurance. OK..odd..been at that hospital a gazillion times and it's all electronic. They apologized, told me not to pay. All's well.

One doc I used to see, used to type with 1 finger, so I had to stop at every word so he could enter it. i told him I'd type it in! My other docs write stuff down and then, i guess, enter it later. They're busy. And my records are exact, cause I asked to see them.

I cringe when patients yell at the girls behind the desk. They're only doing what they need to do. Same story..an old, arrogant man screamed that he wasn't giving his SS number to anyone..but they were on his medical cards. He never noticed, but I saw the girl roll her eyes after he sat down. He mad an awful scene. It was embarassing.

wombat2u2004
04-09-2011, 04:48 AM
I do this all the time Wom, I bring in candy, offer patients cookies and even cake sometimes, get them coffee if it is a long wait. Oh yes we do it all.

But....no peanuts. See, I was right. ;)

Marigold2
04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
It is one thing to have the test results and another thing to be able to read them and understand them fully. Unless you have some knowledge of the medical profession a lot of those test results and the effects they have on major organs such as kidneys, liver and heart long term will be lost on you.
However it is excellent that you have them and can bring them to appointments..

Just curious - how many of you obtain, and keep, the results of every lab test, x-ray, biopsy you have had?

My MD is pretty good about sending me the results, but I make sure I get a copy of every test I have. I have a 3-ring binder with lab tests, USN (ultrasounds), x-rays, MRI, EEG, EKG, CT scans, path reports. I even have the OR notes from my last surgery.

There are times, if the reports are lengthy, when there might be charge - usually no more than 10¢ per page. I feel it is worth the cost to have the records.

Marigold2
04-09-2011, 09:48 AM
You know I have never served peanuts.

But....no peanuts. See, I was right. ;)

Marigold2
04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Because the one doc I work for does mostly surgery and more complacted exams I tell all new patients when making their app to bring a list of meds with them, I also tell all our current patients the same thing as they need to fill out a new form on a yearly basis.

The tech then fills in all the meds. I would say the average is 5 to 7 in the seniors. Some take 20 meds a day. All are entered in the computer.

We also get a ton of referrals for surgery. So of course the primary or the other doc wants a report and it will be on the computer including surgerical notes which are scanned it.

I enter all the medical info including all past surgery, family history etc.
It is very time consuming and it was a lot to learn but it truly benefits the patient in the long run. I also enter all allergies but I can only enter them if you the patient writes them down on the sheet or it is there already.

The problem arises when most people and I am one of those have no idea how to spell the name of a med you are taking. I expect you to call us back with the name, proper spelling and dosage. And NO I don't know the name of the blood pressure med you are taking that starts with a D. I will not guess. Give me the facts. That is all I will enter straight facts.

And while you are peeing for the third time the tech is waiting for you and wondering where you wandered too again.

Oh and by the way if a hospital has your SS number and they do, then so do I and thousands upon thousands of others who work in doc's offices arcoss the country.
Doesn't matter if you were in the hospital in 1972 it is in the records now.
You might not like it, it might not be right, I won't debate that here, but it is what it is with electronic info.
So if you don't want to fill that part in that's ok. I have it regardless and I will keep it as safe as I guard my own which by the way is also there.

Momcat, the move to computerized records is not something any individual doctor, or our PT Marigold, is putting in to place. You have every right to oppose the computerization, and to make that known. I suspect you are bucking the tide on this one, but it is good to have folks like you trying to ensure the integrity of the documentation.

This made me chuckle:
"I had one older patient yell at me "I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY SS NUMBER" I then asked him for his insurance cards and sure enough he had Medicare and there it was. " :D

Elyse wrote: "If you have prescriptions from more than one physician, please bring them all or a list (include everything you take!) so we can review them."
I actually did this, my last annual physical. I thought my doc was going to drop to the floor in a dead faint! Apparently, I was the first one in AGES to comply! Hahahaaaa, we had a great laugh once she recovered!

sasvermont
04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DzNUgw7vz7GQ&h=76026

Has everyone seen this?:cool::cool::D:D

Marigold2
04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
HA HA HA oh that is so perfect. It is right on the money only one thing needs to change, it is not the doc who talks that way to the patient and gets that BS it's me and every medical receptionist on the planet.
And of course I never say all those awful things to a patient, might think it but never say it. But yes if you are coming in at 300 lbs and you are on 12 meds it is time to rethink your life.

THANKS FOR SHARING A TRULY GREAT POST!!!

sasvermont
04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I always show up on time, with cards in hand. I will call before hand to see if they are on schedule, if time is an issue that day and I know they usually make me wait. I go there, expecting some delay. I don't mind it. I set aside enough time to make it less stressful for me.

I don't take any medications, but the few times I have taken meds, the doctor has all that in my file.

Electronic records is here to stay. Get with the program. One of the worst leaks of information is someone's mouth! Yes, patient information is talked about from time to time. I would hope, seldom. The bottom line is that my personal information is so boring that I doubt if anyone even knows my name, let alone care about my circumstances. Information is information - written or typed, it can be leaked. I hope the electronic records theory will make our visit more stream lined and informative for future treatments/visits.

I do not begrudge any money I pay to my doctor. I do have issues with insurance companys and how they handle the claims. I would love to see single payer come to Vermont.

momcat
04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=Freedom;2347003]Momcat, the move to computerized records is not something any individual doctor, or our PT Marigold, is putting in to place. You have every right to oppose the computerization, and to make that known. I suspect you are bucking the tide on this one, but it is good to have folks like you trying to ensure the integrity of the documentation.

I've written to everyone I can possibly think of in support of HR-2630 The Protect Patients and Physicians Privacy Act. This important bill would allow patients and doctors to opt out of this degrading piece of dehumanizing crap.
This is privileged information, under state and federal law it cannot be entered onto anything without the consent of the individual. This is a violation of federal law! No matter how anyone tries to rationalize this IT IS WRONG! I have no intention of tolerating this intrusion and will do anything and everything I can to fight it. If the non functional illiterates that came up with this ultimately win out at our risk and expense I won't miss jabbing myself with an insulin needle several times a day.

Lady's Human
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Freedom;2347003]
I've written to everyone I can possibly think of in support of HR-2360 The Patients and Physicians Privacy Act. This important bill would allow patients and doctors to opt out of this degrading piece of dehumanizing crap.
This is privileged information, under state and federal law it cannot be entered onto anything without the consent of the individual. This is a violation of federal law! No matter how anyone tries to rationalize this IT IS WRONG! I have no intention of tolerating this intrusion and will do anything and everything I can to fight it. If the non functional illiterates that came up with this ultimately win out at our risk and expense I won't miss jabbing myself with an insulin needle several times a day.

Yes, your medical records are privileged information. However, at the moment there's absolutely nothing stopping the janitor in the doc's office, random clerks/receptionists or anyone else from picking up your file and perusing it.

Making medical records electronic properly will be a great aid, as if they are electronic in a centrally accessible database, I can allow my dermatologist to look at the records from the skin cancer biopsy done by another doctor without filling out 15 forms and having them get lost in the shuffle.

Frankly, it's a rather foolish battle, as used properly it will reduce errors and aid care.

As to this being a violation of Federal Law, I sincerely doubt it, as one of the reasons HCR is so voluminous is that each section modifies applicable federal law line by line.

Edwina's Secretary
04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I recently switched carriers because I wanted an electronic records system (among other reasons). I have worked with confidential files long enough to know they are only as confidential as the people handling them. Originals left in the copy machine, papers set down and forgotten, wrong papers clipped together - happens all the time.

I like that if I am sent to a specialist I do not have to repeat all the same information - it is right there. I like that I get the results of all my test electronically. I may not know what everything means - but I can ask my doctor if I see something "out of range." It makes me feel more in control than "Doctor Knows Best."

Now they just need to make keyboarding a mandatory class in medical school!

momcat
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Frankly, it's a rather foolish battle, as used properly it will reduce errors and aid care.

I'm sorry you see this as a "foolish battle" because it's anything but that. Any information off a computer is wrong. You can't convince me that the information isn't being entered by a bunch of non functional illiterate bottom feeders that can't think. If they could they would be doing honest, real work. The only reality here is a considerable INCREASE in errors. The quality of medical care is severely compromised and tremendously increases the chance of medical malpractice. How many patients will receive the wrong treatment because some incompetent computer low life entered the wrong information? How many times has it happened already since this has been shoved down our throats? For those patients who go along with this, let them deal with the dangerously increased risk to their safety, overall health, well being, and privacy. Don't force this pathetic bs on those of us who see this as the irresponsible and indifferent scam that it is. If computers were used "properly" medical records would never be entered on them. Nothing positive can possibly come of this. If we're lucky, HR 2630 - Protect Patients and Physicians Privacy Act will be enacted and put an end to this dehumanizing, degrading insult.

Lady's Human
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry you see this as a "foolish battle" because it's anything but that. Any information off a computer is wrong. You can't convince me that the information isn't being entered by a bunch of non functional illiterate bottom feeders that can't think. If they could they would be doing honest, real work. The only reality here is a considerable INCREASE in errors.

DO you realize how many people hard working people you have just insulted, including members of Pet Talk, one of whom (data entry personnel, when need be, after all, she can't find REAL work) I'm married to?

Apologize.

Lady's Human
04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
As to the need for medical records to be computerized.....

You're in a car accident 1200 miles from your house.

You need med treatment NOW.

Someone punches in your record ID pulls up the fact that you're allergic to antibiotic XYZ, and stops the med you were about to be prescribed.

OR.......

They can't get to your record, you're allergic to the med the give you in the IV, and you go into a seizure and die.

Take your pick. I know which one I'd chose.

Edwina's Secretary
04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Gosh. It is my doctor or her nurse who does the data entry. I feel confident they are literate.

wolfsoul
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Gosh. It is my doctor or her nurse who does the data entry. I feel confident they are literate.

In my Dr office we have both written and computer files. My Dr takes care of the written stuff and the receptionist (nurse) enters everything in the computer. The receptionist/nurse has been there since I was born (24 years ago) and she has always been very competent. As far as I know, doctors don't hire particular people to type things into the computer. Their nurse or receptionist does it, and these people are always qualified to do these things, or they wouldn't be working there, as far I'm concerned.
Honestly I think that the computer route would keep information alot more private, and the records would be easier (and alot faster) to find.. Always kept clean, always kept in order.
I don't really see why the privacy issue is such a big deal anyways, but I live in Canada and our health care system is different, so maybe I'm not understanding the point.

Karen
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
You can't convince me that the information isn't being entered by a bunch of non functional illiterate bottom feeders that can't think.

Hang on there. Medical transcriptionists hardly count as illiterate bottom feeders.

Data entry clerks may not be the highest-paid members of society, but that does not make them nonfunctional or illiterate. As a matter of fact, they need to be more literate, in the case of medical data entry staff - than many people, because they often have to read doctor's handwriting, which is notoriously bad.

My Primary Care Physician enters the data into her computer when in the exam room with me. She carries her laptop in the room with her, with my info in an electronic file on it. Should I consider her illiterate and nonfunctional as well, given that she has been my doctor, and a very good one, for 15+ years by now? She has never left the computer in her car, on the subway or anywhere else, and seems by all accounts to be an extremely responsible person.

Bonny
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
In my Dr office we have both written and computer files. My Dr takes care of the written stuff and the receptionist (nurse) enters everything in the computer. The receptionist/nurse has been there since I was born (24 years ago) and she has always been very competent. As far as I know, doctors don't hire particular people to type things into the computer. Their nurse or receptionist does it, and these people are always qualified to do these things, or they wouldn't be working there, as far I'm concerned.
Honestly I think that the computer route would keep information alot more private, and the records would be easier (and alot faster) to find.. Always kept clean, always kept in order.
I don't really see why the privacy issue is such a big deal anyways, but I live in Canada and our health care system is different, so maybe I'm not understanding the point.

We have had both written & computer files. Now they are up grading & everything is going into the computer. I wish they would keep the written files too.

Don't people that are allergic to certain medicines wear a bracelet on their wrist saying so & carry a list of their medicines in their billfold & have family members to the same. I have a list of hubbies medicines I carry on me all the time & have had to use it in the past.

There are precautions you can take for yourself & loved ones in case an emergency does happen. You have to be your own advocate for yourself & your loved ones.

Karen
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Thankfully I have no allergies to medicines, and my food allergies and intolerances are far too numerous to fit on a simple bracelet. Everyone who knows me, knows this, and knows not to try to feed me without checking first. I do carry a list with me, and an Epi-Pen, which various folks know where to find and how to use.

Lady's Human
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Don't people that are allergic to certain medicines wear a bracelet on their wrist saying so

Depends on whether the docs have said you're allergic to a med or "sensitive" to it. It also depends on what the med is.

In addition, I cannot wear anything metallic at work, so that compromises the whole concept.

Marigold2
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
How did this get so nasty? I just wanted people to be more informed about their health appointments.. Geez.
And I am not a bottom feeder. That was uncalled for. Anyone who gets ot of bed in the morning and does an honest days work deserves respect wheather you mop a floor, work for a fast food chain or install someones plumbing.
I am not a nurse but I was trained by one of the best Docs in the US and I take my job very seriously. I am one of those so called bottom feeders you refer to. I am a medical receptionist and a damn fine one otherwise I would not be working for this man. I take great pride in job I do. I take great pride in working with him and helping the patients.
I enter their info and I don't make mistakes as I sometimes do here on PT. This is personal fun, like sharing a cocktail with friends and sometimes telling off color jokes, work is DIFFERENT.
Lets also add your local pharmacy to the list of bottom feeders. I take it most people like having their prescriptions all documented electronically. Or have you not noticed that you are in the system when you pick up your meds? Your name, birthdate, SS and other info. Walmart bottom feeders have that as does every place you go to fill a med. They also have all the side effects, allergies you might have to a certain script. If there is a problem a pop op window will tell the bottom feeder. Hopefully your Dr, nurse or someone like me has entered it in the system and updates it correctly.
And yes as someone here mentioned if you are in an accident out of town, this info will possibly save your life.
It is not a perfect system, we as humans are not perfect. Docs make mistakes everyday that kill people as do nurses, drunk drivers, people drinking a cup of coffee, texting while driving.
But I do believe most people try and do their best. I go into work tired, sad, happy, worried every emotion in the book but when I walk in the door the only thing that matters is the patient just like when I get behind the wheel of my car.
So I think it would be nice if you just apologized to all the bottom feeders as you so call them. We do our best everyday and we take pride in our work.