PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or outdoor

Kirsten
11-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Is your cat an indoor or an outdoor cat? What's the reason for your decision?

Luna is an indoor cat (like my Katz and also my Aysche have been). Sometimes I'm feeling bad about that 'cause I think she's missing all the fun, but when I'm thinking about all the dangers, I know I wouldn't want her to out there.

Kirsten

boscibo
11-02-2002, 02:45 PM
All three of mine are indoor only. When I lived out in the country, on a private road with very little traffic, I still lost two cats to cars. And before that, I had one cat disappear - I never found her or even what happened to her. It is too heartbreaking for me.

My cats don't mind not going outdoors, I have birdfeeders near the windows, and lots of fun indoor cat stuff - and I play with them a lot. I don't have to worry about cars, or fleas, or them eating dead things. And I don't have to worry about where they are or what they are doing - I know they're safe inside.

krazyaboutkatz
11-02-2002, 02:53 PM
All 3 of my cats are indoor only cats. Since I live in a condo, they have to stay indoors. I also think that this is much safer for them. They seem to love being indoors so I don't feel bad about not letting them outdoors. Pepper is declawed in the front so he'll always be inside. Storm was abandoned by his former owner and was brought in to the Humane Society by a neighbor so I think that he has bad memories associated with the outdoors. Sunny and his siblings were found in a wood pile without their mother. He was raised indoors so he doesn't miss the outdoors at all.

Glacier
11-02-2002, 05:38 PM
All six are indoors. Several of them were outdoor kitties before I got them, but they adjusted nicely to life inside. My husband built them a full enclosed kitty run this fall. They like to go out in it sometimes. They are only allowed in there when I am home. They don't use it all right now. It's too cold so the kitty run is off limits until spring.

jenluckenbach
11-02-2002, 05:56 PM
In a word
INDOOR
times eleven

Chinadoll
11-02-2002, 06:21 PM
All 3 are indoor. I just can't take the chance of them being exposed to FIV or FeLV with all the stray cats around here...also a main highway is very close. I make it up to them by having cat trees and tons of toys to amuse themselves with.

neko1
11-02-2002, 06:38 PM
INDOOR INDOOR INDOOR!!! I see way too much bad stuff happen to outdoor cats where I work! It's not worth it!

Uabassoon
11-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Indoor only. Aside from the dangers I don't like just having my cats run around, then other people end up having to take care of them too. My neighbors cats use my backyard as a giant litterbox so I have to go outside everyday and clean up after them. ANd sometimes outdoor cats get stolen.

Felicia's Mom
11-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Both of my cats are indoor only.

Vermontcat
11-02-2002, 09:07 PM
You really should have had the choice of both indoor and outdoor. Since it is now cold outside my cat is an indoor kitty until spring. I checked indoor cat on your poll. But in the summer she can be outside during the day when someone is home and she is good at staying in our yard close to the house. Of course having neighbors with large dogs on both sides of us helps keep her close to home.:eek:

Randi
11-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Fister is an indoor cat now, although we do let him out in the yard about once a week if he's begging hard enough. :rolleyes: He was born in the yard and lived there the first year with his mum and another male cat.

It was quite a job to keep him inside to begin with, but he's got used to it over the 5 years we've had him and he considers this his home now. :)

smokey the elder
11-03-2002, 08:31 AM
My cats are all *supposed* to be indoor, but Bosun in particular is a Houdini. One night she was out for several hours but didn't go far. I live on a corner lot on a busy street. I strongly encourage people who adopt my fosters to keep them indoors and if they intend to let them out (once altered) I need to approve it (see the property) or I won't do the adoption. I know someone who lost 2 cats to coyotes in one week. :(

-Panther-
11-03-2002, 09:39 AM
All three, indoor cats, absolutely. http://www.gif-art.de/gifs123/minis/00005822.gif

They get outside only in a harness, summertime almost every day, but now since it's very cold outside, probably once in two weeks, if they want to :)

Kirsten
11-03-2002, 11:02 AM
I so agree with everyone here! I think I would be a nervous wreck every time I know my cat would be out there, there are so many dangers waiting for them. :(

Kirsten

Logan
11-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Both of mine are indoor/outdoor, at will, so I didn't vote. I would prefer to have them both inside all the time, but right now, they aren't interested. When we move, later this week, I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get them to adjust to being inside only. Fingers crossed! :)

The Cat Factory
11-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Twinkles and Majesty are indoor/outdoor kitties. Peppurr, Vader, Mimi, Mischief, Hurcules, Xena and Felix are all indoor kitties :)

Cataholic
11-03-2002, 04:55 PM
My cats are indoor 99% of the time. If I am sitting on my patio, I will let the herd 'graze'..but, I am in constant contact with them, and the door is completely opened. I have a fenced in back yard, and as strange as it sounds...my cats don't go anywhere! I won't let Minnie out- ever, and the newest one- nope, can't do it. I am too afraid she will run away.

Miss Meow
11-03-2002, 05:30 PM
Both are indoor. They were raised indoors and they wouldn't have the road sense to keep themselves safe. We're lucky in this place to have a small courtyard with a high fence so they are allowed to play there under supervision.

Barbara
11-04-2002, 04:57 AM
Tigris and Filou are indoor born indoor cats. It's because of the traffic we have here -so many cats in the neighborhood are being found dead on the streets -so our neighbor's little black Nero with 9 months, or a beautiful Silver Tabby. I couldn't stand that, although I would wish, they could climb on trees and catch more dinner than just moths and spiders.
However they have a balcony with a cat net around and lots of plants -they enjoy it a lot in summertime.

lynnestankard
11-04-2002, 05:19 AM
All three are indoor/outdoor - as the feeling moves them! I seem to spend a good part of my day opening and closing doors and windows to facilitate the cat traffic through the house!!
Ketchum in particular adores sitting in the rain - as I've mentioned many times before! And they all adore running mad when it's very windy!! Threy all adore just lyung in the sun when it's very warm.

We've had our yearly 'Bonfire Night' over here - it's on 5th November each year - most people use the nearest week-end.
This consists of lots of bonfires and lots and lots of fireworks.
Needless to say the cats are scared of all these bangs and whizzing sounds - so they haven't been out all week-end. This morning they were queueing up at the door to GO OUTSIDE PLEASE MUM!! A quick check half an hour ago I discovered Dan on the kitchen unit, Ketchum lying outside on the shed roof - in very weatery sunshine and Bagel generally touring the house - probably checking alls well after all these strange noises!! As you see - they do exactly what they want!!

Lynne

11-04-2002, 05:33 AM
My cats are strickly indoors !!
Why ? As a kid , I always had a cat ; every time he or she got killed in a car accident befor it reached the age of 2 ..:mad:

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN !!! I love my cats to much to loose them in a silly accident ! Sometimes it is not easy to make a cat adapt to the indoor-only situation , but with a lot of patience , it all works out fine !!

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6603/animation/kittyana.gif http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6603/animation/kittyana.gif Maya , Inka , and Sydney+ http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6603/animation/kittyana.gif

NoahsMommy
11-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Noah, Noel and Basie are all indoor cats. Noah and Noel would probably prefer to be indoor/outdoor cats, but it isn't safe where we live. Our apartment complex has lots of outdoor cats, but at night, there are cat fights and we are forever seeing "Missing Cat" signs. :(

We allow Noah or Noel (on at a time) on the balcony if we are out there. Noel LOVES to lay in the sun and Noah LOVES to lurk under the railing and see below. :)

rosethecopycat
11-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Snowy and Mr. Jones are indoor cats, but they get to go out on the pool patio. It is completely encased in screen. So far, no attempted break-outs, no attempted break-ins, by God knows what. (in the swamp) So, they have the best of both worlds, no grass under their paws, but I do deliver blades of grass TO the boys for a quick bite.

:p