PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.. Re: Poodle, male or female??

lotsofpets
11-15-2000, 09:00 AM
I am getting a dog for my mother for christmas. A standard poodle, her dream
dog. ( for those of you who say dont get
one for a gift) She KNOWS what she wants
breed, color, sex, I got all of the details
and she was really upset that i was ruining
her xmas by asking so many specific questions
Anyway, I found one but told her that
I couldnt, that we would have to keep
looking. This is a standard, red poodle.
Hard to find, beautiful dog.
She has always had female dogs, and me too.
We prefer them to the males, but this lady
( the breeder) has talked me into a male,
Saying that they are the more loyal, gentle,
more even disposition pet in this breed.
Anyone with any experience? She assures me
that If i just have him neutered before
he has all of those male hormones that he
will be fine. Ive already mailed the
deposit and im a bit worried that I have
made a mistake. any feedback would be
appreciated...

Thanks

RachelJ
11-15-2000, 11:30 AM
I have always had female dogs and when I was looking to adopt a second dog that was my one criteria. I had seen too many male dogs with the obsession to mark and a couple aggressive ones. But as Fate would have it, a male cocker was on his way back to an animal shelter when his owner decided to see if he would fit our needs for an adopted dog. He has turned out to be the most loving, eager-to-please of any dogs I have owned. He adores me! Even though I have been the caretaker of all dogs in our house, my females would drop me like a hot potato the minute my husband came home, but not my male. He doesn't mark and even urinates by squatting instead of lifting his leg. (I think he knew I wanted a girl dog and does this to please me http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif )

So that's my personal experience. I can't say that the male you get will be as wonderful a dog, but it is not out of the question.

Pam
11-15-2000, 12:01 PM
Oh My Gosh..... your "dog to be" sounds beautiful!!!!! I have owned poodles all of my life.....2 toys, 1 miniature and 1 standard. Three were female and one of my toys was a male. I can honestly say that their dispositions were all the same......very loving.......and no behavior problems at all! I am not an expert on the breed, but don't feel that you should have a problem with a male. These are very intelligent dogs whose main goal is to please (at least that's been my observation). My only concern would be if your mom REALLY wants a female. Would she be disappointed? I think maybe it might be best to really give this some thought since the dog is for her. I would imagine that the breeder has no females so maybe that is why she is telling you that the males have better qualities. I would hope that she really believes what she says and is not just telling you that to make a sale. As for me, I love them all.....males or females!! Best of luck in your decision and let us know what you wind up doing! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sudilar
11-15-2000, 12:16 PM
I've owned both male and females (GSDs and Great Pyr). Both were just as loving and wonderful. In my experience, either is good. Good luck to your Mom. She'll be SO happy! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

AdoreMyDogs
11-15-2000, 12:27 PM
I had always had male dogs before I adopted my little female pug. My current male dog is the most loving, adoring, loyal, devoted, smart, most willing to please dog I have ever met. He's not agressive at all although he does lift his leg when he pees. I adopted him when he was about 9 months old and I had to have him neutered. If you get them neutered younger they often will squat to pee. He's alot more loving then the female I have, he's alot easier to train and far more willing to please me, although he's a super inteligent breed and the pug breed is not know for their smarts. In my opinion, the male dogs are often better looking, depending on the breed. I like the extra size, longer coat, and extra muscle that the male dogs often have.

I don't feel you made a mistake. He will be noble, beautiful, and as long as he's given the proper training, he'll be an extrodinary companion. Standard poodles are a beautiful breed and they are also very easy to train and intelligent. There's a male standard poodle that comes to the dog park that I take my dogs to and he's absolutely GORGOUS! He's also very well behaved and he ADORES his mom and does not stray far from her. He's a great dog.

From my limmited experience, I do prefer male dogs to female dogs, simply because they are so devoted. Don't worry...the winds of change will surprise you http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I bet the male poodle will turn out to be better then you originally thought.

SheltieLover234
11-15-2000, 04:31 PM
You totally made the right move!!!!I like boy dogs a lot!!!I`ve heard(It might be a rumor)that boy dogs are faster learners!And also i`ve seen red Poodles They are so beautiful.Well I think you made the right move but it`s all up to you http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
11-15-2000, 07:31 PM
If your mother prefers females I would
pick her out a female.
Males do tend to mark whether they are
spayed are not, but so can a dominant female. If your mother has a nice
back yard with plants and bushes that
is a PLUS for a female. Just asked my
sister who will not own a male dog again.
My male as killed all my ground cover with his urin. I have a strong grass so neither
the females nor the male's urin damage it.
Of course if you train him to pee in a certain spot that would take care of it
possibly.
A female will also be smaller and might
be easier for your mom to handle.
Male/Female are both loving and equally
intelligent.
It all comes down to personal preference.

KYS
11-15-2000, 07:39 PM
continued from post above:
I know you wanted to surprise your mom,
but since you already put a deposit down,
Maybe you should ask your mother
if she will be happy with a male.

lotsofpets
11-15-2000, 07:49 PM
Thanks for everyones responses! Its been
helpful. I have asked my mother by the
way , if she would prefer a RED male, or
an apricot Female, the only two available
pups in the litter. She said the red
male for sure, since alot of breeders that
she and I have both talked to assured us
that her males have always been sweeter than
her girls. So, she wanted the red color
bad enough that she would take a chance on the male pup. BUT, when she called me
back a few hours later to ask how old the
puppy was, I told her that I had talked
to the breeder and that it was sold the
previous night, sorry. (It was me of
course) So I had to get very specific with
her to make her commit to which one would
be better, and then tell her a little white
lie to still surprise her. Hope that its
the right choice, we will see. Thanks
again for everyones input..

SwweettyPIE2000
12-13-2000, 07:10 AM
I think you did the right thing for your mom and male dogs are just as the owner of the poodle said i should know i have had a male dog since i was born he is always there for you males are the bomb so make sure your mom understands that before you give the dog to her

Roo
12-15-2000, 05:30 PM
My friend had a precious little male poodle. He had the sweetest disposition and was perfect in every way -- EXCEPT that he could not be trusted when visiting my home because he would lift his leg WITHOUT FAIL. I would always enjoy him when I visited their house, but I could never enjoy their visits when they came to mine. Oh, and yes, he was neutered very early.

Also, as another has said, if your mother has her heart set on a female, she may be disappointed. I have always been adamant about the gender of my dogs. Others are not. If your mother is more flexible in that area, it might not make that much difference.

------------------
Roo
<><