PDA

View Full Version : Do you all know H. C. Andersen?

Randi
04-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I went with a friend (Dali's mom) to Odense for a day trip yesterday, we were going to see her son in a school play at the international school there.

Odense is the town where H. C. Andersen grew up, and of course we went to see his house. It's amazing how small the rooms are, but cosy, with wooden floor boards and cobbled stones in the street - I love that! Odense is the third biggest town in Denmark and very nice.

We had arranged to meet Sus for a coffee also, she sends her regards to you all. She has been feeling sad since she had Bella put to sleep. :(

The weather was bad, but I got a few pictures which I'll attach. The last is of her son, Colin. Isn't he cute!

Here are some good links about H.C. Andersen's life:
http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/links/index_e.html

happylabs
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
That looks like a neat little town. Wow...the house is small but quaint. Colin is definitely a cutie. :)

Karen
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I think even people who might not remember Hans Christian Andersen's name know his stories, especially the ones that got made into Disney movies!

How fun, thanks for sharing!

Glacier
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
My grandpa was named for him!

My heritage is Danish; my grandparents immigrated to Canada, but most of my extended family is still in Denmark. Someday I'm coming over to visit!

Grace
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Love the pictures - thanks so much for sharing. I volunteer in an elementary school library, and his tales are always a big hit with the kids.

Kirsten
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I visited that house in Odense when I was a kid!! We spent every summer in Denmark, and of course I knew Andersen's tales. :)

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I want to live on that street! :D:D

Sus
04-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Hello there...!
So there was a thread about this...! I tried to find it some time ago, but couldn't, and then - as usual - I got busy doing other things. :)
It was SO great to see Randi and it was also very nice to meet Marie and hear about Dali! It meant so much to me that they would take the time to meet me here in Odense. I have been very sad since Bella passed.
H.C. Andersen's house in Odense is indeed very small, it is incomprehensible that so many people could live their lives there, sharing so little space! If ever you come to Odense it is well worth a visit - as is the adjoining café "Fyrtoejet" where we had coffee and some very, very, VERY delicious cakes... :D
The surrounding neighbourhood comprises the oldest part of Odense, and it is indeed extremely cute! The city uses this part of Odense for its annual Christmas fair, which is also quite the adventure. They put little christmas trees in front of every small house in the street and the fair itself consist mostly of small booths with traditional christmas goodies or traditional danish handicrafts. It always draws a huge crowd of people eating "aebleskiver" (sort of a warm doughnut served with jam) and drinking hot "gløgg" (warm redwine with spices) to keep warm. Every now and then you will have to jump aside so as not to be run over by the horses and waggons that tour the area, bringing visitors about to see it all. :)
Anyway... is was so nice to see some fellow pettalkers here!:):):)
Kind regards!
Sus