PDA

View Full Version : Virus protection?

catnapper
04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
My husband got a new computer and I finally got it hooked up to the internet.

The old computer had a zillion and one viruses, despite Macaffee. Needless to say, I'm not too keen on installing that program again. He also had a good malware/spyware program that I'll reinstall.

But who makes a good virus protection program? I had heard of a free one out there thats pretty good, but can't remember the name and I don't trust a quick google search for fear I'd end up with a phoney protection that is actually a virus in itself.

Lady's Human
04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Avast is what I'm currently running, it's free, it works, but the popups can get annoying.

catnapper
04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Avast is what I'm currently running, it's free, it works, but the popups can get annoying.

What kind of pop-ups? Reminders to update, or that it saved your computer against an attack?

Laura's Babies
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I use Avast and have used it for years. Have not have a virus since.. I use the free one and there are plenty of other free ones equally as good as Avast, Malwarebytes and spybot are all I use... all of them are free ..Important fact... Keeping them updated is your best protection!

kokopup
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I use Avira Antivir Personal which is free. I do get the constant upgrade popups but I can tolerate these to prevent a virus.

Lady's Human
04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Reminders to update to the newest version. They get annoying.

If your Virus Definition files aren't up to date, it doesn't matter whose antivirus s/w you're using, it's going to be ineffective. The program should be set to auto update itself. (different from updating the actual program)

Catty1
04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Avast

Avg 2011

Kim - is there any way I can remote in to that other computer? (The sick one). The best malware program I have found is malwarebytes. Just remember to update it (third tab) before you run it every two weeks or so.

www.malwarebytes.org

smokey the elder
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
We use malwarebytes at work to get the stuff that sneaks by sophos. At home we have Spybot Search and Destroy, as well as malwarebytes.

pomtzu
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I use AVG2011. It's free and updates are automatic with no pop-ups. Been using this for over a year, after I got rid of the dreaded Norton which was garbage, and I've never had a problem.

catnapper
04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Avast

Avg 2011

Kim - is there any way I can remote in to that other computer? (The sick one). The best malware program I have found is malwarebytes. Just remember to update it (third tab) before you run it every two weeks or so.

www.malwarebytes.org

I had malware bytes on it (you put it there ;)) and I ran it reguarly. The computer just stopped working and now I can't even turn it on. So now he has a new one.

Twisterdog
04-01-2011, 10:36 PM
My computer tech recommends Avira. It's on my computer and I've NEVER had a virus. It's free.