PDA

View Full Version : Guzoo

animal_rescue
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Has anyone heard about this terrible place? Apparently it's the largest private zoo in Canada and also the worst zoo in North America from what I've been reading about it. People have been trying to get it closed down since it opened up in 1992. There's garbage, carcasses, feces, and just everything awful there. There's even a picture of a goat bleeding profusely and when asked about it the guy said the goat was fine and didn't need medical attention. Also when asked about why the animals didn't have water in the winter, he said that wild animals eat snow so they didn't need any water. WTF?!
This place needs to be shut down ASAP! Apparently they are supposed to have their licensed renewed on April 1st so hopefully with all the activists up in arms about this place, maybe it won't be this time.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=636678&id=563805693&fbid=10150443011925694

http://www.guzooforever.com/

http://www.theguzoo.co.nr/

pomtzu
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
OMG - the few pics I viewed were absolutely disgusting. How can these people get away with what they do? How can they retain their license? And it's going to be renewed???? :mad: What's wrong with the government to allow this to continue?? Aren't there animal abuse and neglect laws???
I'm shocked and sickened! :mad:

Medusa
03-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Those poor animals! What is wrong w/the government that they're allowing this to continue? Is there no SPCA or similar organization that can get a court order, seize the animals, rehabilitate them and rehome them? My God, that's awful and the people responsible should be prosecuted and heavily fined!

Queen of Poop
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
The Alberta SPCA is investigating a Three Hills zoo after photos were posted online over the weekend claiming to show animals at the GuZoo Animal Farm living in unhealthy conditions.

However, the owners of the zoo say it’s an effort by animal rights activists to discredit GuZoo ahead of the April 1 renewal of its Alberta operating licence.

Edmonton-based photographer Nic Burgess said it was a “crucial time” to act.

Burgess visited the zoo on Saturday.

“I was appalled by how the conditions were,” he said. “To me, it’s an animal hoarder who has a zoo permit. He’s just in over his head. He needs help to deal with these animals and these animals need help themselves.”

Burgess posted the photos on Facebook and has received hundreds of messages from concerned people.

Since then, an online petition with over 10,000 signatures is circulating, a letter-writing campaign is underway and the SPCA has been flooded with calls and messages.

“It’s under investigation so there’s not a lot we can say,” said Tim Battle, spokesman for the Alberta SPCA.

“What we can investigate are animals in distress under the Animal Protection Act.”

Burgess, a self-described “photographer and photo-manipulation artist,” said he saw, among other things, dirty enclosures, a kid bleeding, a goat chewing on gum packaging, a monkey cage falling apart and dogs running around agitating the caged animals.

Despite his title, Burgess said the photos are unedited. “I posted them as I took them from my camera.”

Bill Gustafson, who cares for the animals at his family’s farm, said the photos don’t tell the whole story.

He said the goat was bleeding because its horn was torn off during a medical procedure and the animal is fine.

“They always come this time of year because there’s water running and it’s starting to look mucky. You can’t control nature. That’s another reason they come now, the permit renewal, and it looks bad,” he said.

Gustafson said the complainers are only 0.1 per cent of the zoo’s visitors.

In 2007, Zoocheck said in a report that GuZoo tallied 100 violations of provincial standards.

That year the Alberta SPCA laid a charge under the Animal Protection Act, but the SPCA said it was dropped in 2008 for lack of evidence.

Gustafson said the family is not concerned about losing its permit because a few years ago the province asked the family in a zoo development plan: what it would do with the animals if it was forced to close its doors.

“Most of the animals we have here, it would be pretty near impossible to find homes for them,” said Gustafson.

“So Dad put that they would all be euthanized and used for taxidermy. I don’t think Fish and Wildlife really wants that.”

“It’s sad that this has come to this,” said Gustafson. “The biggest fear we have is for our own safety. I have the feeling that one of these days some person that thinks he’s going to make a name for himself by either burning our house down or beating one of us is going to come to think he’s going to be a hero with one of these groups.”

Burgess said he wishes the family no harm and urged polite dialogue on how the animals should best be cared for.

Alberta Sustainable Resources, the ministry responsible for regulating the zoo, did not return calls for comment.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

cheche
03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree with Queen of Poop. I had seen the pictures on my facebook page and thought that maybe someone was once again trying to raise havoc with this Zoo. It appears to come under fire by activists every time licensing comes up for renewal.

On the news tonight, there was a spoke person for a group that had recently been to the GuZoo and saw nothing to be concerned about.

Knowing that the SPCA and Fish & Wildlife are investigating satisfies my concern. If the license is renewed, it will be because there are no violations. GuZoo is also a rescue facility. Could it be they are currently overwhelm and need extra help??

Publicity good or bad, gets your name out there.

As for this being one of the largest in Canada, I don't think so. Calgary has a fair size Zoo. Edmonton also has a Zoo that is constantly expanding. I'm sure most major cities in other provinces also have zoos.

Catty1
03-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Gazoo has been in the news several times over the years, and no authority has managed to have it closed down. I volunteered at a wildlife rescue site many years ago, and two people there went to Gazoo as "guests" and had a look round. They were not impressed.

I hope a proper inspection is done soon and that the blowhard who runs it is shut down, and the animals properly looked after. Threatening euthanasia to get his way; idiot!

ETA: The carcasses were apparently road kill and other stock that had died. I find it hard to believe that the Dept of Highways would bring road killed deer to this farm...but stranger things have happened.

Medusa
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Whether or not the people are overwhelmed doesn't mean that the animals suffer any less. After watching Animal Cops Houston yesterday, I wondered what in the world would become of some of the animals rescued besides dogs and cats, that is. There were countless horses, an alpaca, alligators, etc. Each and every one of them was rehabilitated, given a clean bill of health and homes were found for all. So threatening euthanasia as an excuse to keep the place open is just plain wrong. I've grown weary of hearing about how overwhelmed the so-called workers are at zoos, sanctuaries, rescues, etc. When it gets tough, you ask for help. If you don't, it's ego. ("I can handle this.") but when it gets to a really bad place and the animals are suffering, suddenly it isn't their fault. It's "edited photos", it's "license renewal time", it's "people trying to make a name for themselves". Ridiculous. And totally transparent.