PDA

View Full Version : Root Canal Issue

catnapper
03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi all,
I had a root canal a month ago, well the beginning of one, because the process of starting the root canal aggrivated an unknown abcess. A very mean abcess. It took nearly 4 weeks to heal well enough to complete the root canal.

That takes us to this week, wednesday to be exact. I had the final work done on the root canal. I went to work expecting to be a little sore and mostly nauseaus because navocaine upsets my delicate tummy. No sooner did the novacaine wear off, I was in tears. TEARS. I sat at work balling my eyes out because of the pain. My boss sent me home and I had the looongest night of my life. Hubby said it was the longest night of his life too. because every time he drifted off to sleep, I'd start screaming in pain because I shivered with the fever, and in my shivering I'd start chattering. I'd scream with pain and then start crying because of the intense pain. Pain from shivering! I also developed a fever that stayed over 100 degress for two days. Its down to 99 today (whoohoo)

I called the dentist thursday morning and he said the tooth is probably just a "little irritated" Ummmm, no, its screaming at me in fury! :mad: He sent over a script for pain pills and an antibiotic. I had a reaction to the Vicodin and called back to get a non-narcotic pain med. That took me to prescription Motrin. I can NOT live without the Motrin. I am supposed to take it every 6 hours, but usually take it every 5.5 hours because the pain is so intolerable that waiting that extra half hour is impossible.

My entire lower right jaw is swollen and hot to the touch. It seems more swollen today that all week. Usually, ice works on tooth pain. this time? No relief.

Its Friday. The root canal was Wednesday. I've missed 3 whole days of work and I don't see me working a full day tomorrow.

Sorry this is so long. I am frustrated and tired of being in so much pain with little relief thus far. I have NEVER had anything like this in my life. I have awful teeth and have many root canals in my past. Why is this one the root canal from you-know-where?

Oh, the good thing? I've dropped ten pounds this week alone! all I've eaten the past few days? Chicken soup broth, cream of wheat, and Sprite. I have absolutely no desire to eat either.

wombat2u2004
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
That does not sound normal.
You may have an infection.

Freedom
03-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Does the dentist work on Saturdays? If so, INSIST he see you.

If not, does your medical practice have Sat hours? Go in.

I think you should have gone to the ER that first night (looking back at it now). This is too much, too long. Do NOT suffer, there is no need of this!

Grace
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I agree with Sandie - see someone tomorrow - heck, go to the ER tonight if you are in that much pain. 48 hours - okay; this long - no way.

mrspunkysmom
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
The infection may have gone systemic, also. Find a different dentist. And go to the ER or find a weekend dentist. The sooner the better.

I've had many root canals and none were more than uncomfortable for more than a day.

Take care and get better.

Marigold2
03-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes this is not normal. I am so sorry for your pain. Call the dentist ASAP if he will not see you go to the ED and get some antibotics.
Please let us know how you are doing?

moosmom
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Sandie and the others are right, Kim. I've also had MANY root canals and have never suffered the way you are now.

I'd get my @$$ to an ER fast. That dentist sounds like an idiot. Vicodin is supposed to be taken with food or you will get sick, trust me. Like Mrspunkysmom said, it sounds like it might be systemic. That's not good either.

Feel better, gf. If you want to talk (or cry) I'll be around all weekend. I'm dogsitting tomorrow till Sunday and my phone doesn't get a signal in the house. I'll check my emails frequently and call you back if you leave a message.

:love::love: & hugs

Donna

krazyaboutkatz
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that you're in so much pain.:( I've never had a root canal but I too don't think that what you're experiencing is normal. It sounds like you have a bad infection. Please either go to the ER or see your doctor asap. I sure hope that you start feeling better soon.

pomtzu
03-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Not normal at all. Sounds like a raging infection. Get to a dentist or the ER stat!!!!

happylabs
03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
I feel your pain. I had a root canal many years ago.

Also, my coworker went through this a couple months ago. Started out with a root canal and ended up having a major infection. She was off work for almost 2 weeks!

I had a root canal done about 20 years ago. It was in the back right, next to last tooth. I had a crown put in. The crown fell out twice. Then I had what they call an Apicoectomy which involves actually removing part of the root. So, now I have one root and a half. I had a new crown made and that one kept falling out. Finally I just left it out. I have been planning on just having the remaining little bit of tooth removed since it is way in the back but haven't done it yet. The doc wanted to do a bridge to the tune of $2,000.00. I passed on that.

Hope you get this straightened out and feel better soon. There is nothing worse than mouth pain!

Catty1
03-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Kim, please head to your doc or the ER and get back to us. :love: That sounds very serious.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you feel better soon.
Going to the ER isn't a bad idea. I'm sitting in a hospital bed typing this right now because of a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-27-2011, 11:13 AM
How are you doing today, Kim? I've been thinking of you.

mrspunkysmom
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you feel better soon.
Going to the ER isn't a bad idea. I'm sitting in a hospital bed typing this right now because of a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong.

Eww, I hope you are feeling better.

And yes, Kim., do get back to us. Hope you are doing better, too.

JMCsGirl
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope you feel better soon! That sounds terrible and tooth pain can be the most miserable type of pain there is! Let us know how things are when you can.

catnapper
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry I disappeared guys. I worked all day yesterday and was just too exhausted to even look at the computer last night. I woke up this morning feeling MUCH better. I even ATE something :eek: :eek:

Today at work was almost normal for me. I took pain pills only once during my shift and didn't watch the clock for the time that it was ok to take them. I'm going to try to eat dinner tonight.... fingers crossed I can :p

My jaw is very, very sore. I can feel a swollen gland. Its rock hard like a little marble. I'm on antibiotics, so this should calm down in a bit.

All I know is the fever is gone. I can put a little bit of pressure on my tooth without pain.

I never, ever, want to go through that again.

mrspunkysmom
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)

K9karen
03-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, Kim, I'm glad you're feeling better

Years ago, I had an intolerable pain on the right side of my mouth. My dentist (since passed) couldn't find anything, but gave me antibiotic and pain killers. Nada. I called his house. I found his number. He opened his office on a Sunday morning. He took endless Xrays and spotted the teeniest, tiniest pindot of a hole. I can't remember if a filling came out or it was a start of a cavity. But he worked diligently to fix it and the relieve was so overwhelming, I cried. He never charged me.

I believe you. Intolerable pain, like "where's my gun?" pain. I'd rather have a migraine, seriously. At least I know I may get some relief.

I'm just surprised he didn't want to see you immediately. It sounded like an awful infection.

Anyway...glad you're better..and, well, the UP side is weight loss! I feel that!

wombat2u2004
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Keep popping those antibiotics. If the infection gets into the jawbone, yer in big trouble. ;)

jennielynn1970
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Kim, I'd still go back in to have that tooth checked. I remember watching HOUSE and seeing something similar and how the infection got to the bone and it was horrible!! Not to scare you, but the infection can still spread even though you're feeling a bit better. Please go back and see your dentist!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree that getting it checked is a smart idea. I had my wisdom teeth out on Wed. March 16th. I discovered an infection on Friday night, the 20th. It's been a nightmare since then. I was put on stronger antibiotics and I thought I was doing better, but then I got worse. On Friday, the 25th I ended up in the hospital, the infection was in my left tonsil and spread to my left ear and into my throat. I was in the hospital for 48+ hours of IV antibiotics and steroids. I came home last night. I'm doing better, the infection is nearly gone, but I still need to be on some pretty strong oral meds for another week. I was told it's pretty rare for an infection to spread the way it with me, but it obviously can happen. Do get it checked, just to be on the safe side.

pomtzu
03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Kim, I'd still go back in to have that tooth checked. I remember watching HOUSE and seeing something similar and how the infection got to the bone and it was horrible!! Not to scare you, but the infection can still spread even though you're feeling a bit better. Please go back and see your dentist!

very true. It can spread to your ear, sinuses, lymph glands, and worse. I'd see a dentist for sure, but not the one that did the work, if possible. Seems he isn't taking you too seriously.

catnapper
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a doctor's appointment tuesday (I could have gone tomorrow but already have a vet appt for Callie -- ear mites) I really think I have a secondary infection, abd yes, I fear its in the jaw. Which would not be the first time I've had that.

I feel mucho better today but all my energy was on hubby who spent the day in the ER over my psycho sister in law (long story on what she did, but she caused him to have a massive panic attack)

catnapper
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree that getting it checked is a smart idea. I had my wisdom teeth out on Wed. March 16th. I discovered an infection on Friday night, the 20th. It's been a nightmare since then. I was put on stronger antibiotics and I thought I was doing better, but then I got worse. On Friday, the 25th I ended up in the hospital, the infection was in my left tonsil and spread to my left ear and into my throat. I was in the hospital for 48+ hours of IV antibiotics and steroids. I came home last night. I'm doing better, the infection is nearly gone, but I still need to be on some pretty strong oral meds for another week. I was told it's pretty rare for an infection to spread the way it with me, but it obviously can happen. Do get it checked, just to be on the safe side.

You sound like you've been to the edge of misery! I am SO sorry to hear what you've been through.