PDA

View Full Version : I need some help everyone!! Please read!

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 07:30 AM
I have been discussing with my parents for the last month or so about getting another rat, or two. The only reson I can get more rats is because we are buying a bigger cage, probly a 3 story one. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some nice rat cages, or if they have a big rat cage where did you get it? Also, most of the cages I have seen have wire floors. Are those goods for rats?

Thank you so much!

Ashley

RockyRoad
11-02-2002, 10:39 AM
OK here is that old AOL search thing to help you along!!

http://aolsearch.aol.com/dirsearch.adp?start=&from=topsearchbox.%2Fdirsearch.adp&query=rat+cages&x=13&y=7

Hope his helps and that you get a great new addition(s) to your family!!;) :D

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Wire floors can damage a ratties delicate feet and lead to sores or a condition called "bumblefoot". They can also get their feet and legs stuck in the bars, which can cause nasty accidents. If you decide to get a wire cage please make sure the ba spacing is no more than 1/2 inch for adults and 1/4 inch for youngsters under three months. If you are aquiring kittens (3 to 6 weeks old) you should not put them in a wire cage. Keep them in a tank until they are old enough not to risk injury. Also kittens can squeeze through anything the size of thier head or smaller.

If you must use a wire floor you can cover the bottom with carpeting or wood, non splitering of course. Some people use linoleum, however if your rats chew this is not a good idea as most of the time the linoleum is glued. You should try to find a cage with a solid bottom and pull out tray for easier cleaning. Martins cages and also Quality cage company in Portland OR have awesome cages for failry cheap and they both ship. Martins cages also takes special orders and will custom design a cage to your liking.

If you have bucks make sure you keep them in a powder coated wire cage. If you use galvanized wire, the bucks urine with erode the wire and can lead to zinc poisoning.

Also make sure when you get more rats that you get the same sex as you have now!! I cannot urge this enough, but look at your rat to determine the sex before you buy. Most petstore people cannot tell baby rats apart. If you need any help on determining sex let me know. It is fairly easy to tell the sex's apart. I can tell my kitten apart the first day they are born.

Also make sure that if you do go to a petstore to buy the rats you should look for the following things before deciding to take that rat home.

Check the eyes ears and nose. Make sure they are clear and free of discharge or poryphoren, a red discharge that sometimes looks like blood. This is a sign of respiratory illness and could also be MYCO. Pick up the rat and listen to his breathing. You should not hear any rasping sounds at all.

Pick a rat who is calm and goes to you. Most petshop rats are the result of bad breeding (not all) so you nee to be careful. They are more prone to illness and cancer, not to mention a plain old bad attitude.

Look at the fur. Are there any scabs? Check for mites/lice. Scabs on bucks can also be the result of too much protein. You may need to evalute their diet. Make sure does are not pregnant. Does are capable of getting pregnant at four weeks of age and sometimes sooner, bucks being able to reproduce at three weeks of age. If the doe is pair shaped rather than round she could be pregnant. You can feel if there are any kittens inside by palpating her abdomen. Kittens are very easy to feel and sometimes can be seen moving.

The last thing, please if you can, go to a breeder. These rats are much more healthy and happy rats. They are usually held since birth and more tame. Undesirable traits are bred out and the rats live longer healthier lives. They are less prone to Myco outbreaks and SDA.

Hope this info helps.

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Thax everyone! There are no rats breeders near me. I am probly going to buys something to put on the bottom of a cage. My two rats are girls so I am planning on getting more girls. No babbies!!! Thanx, I never knew what to check them for and now I know. I am going around 4. I can't wait! I hope they have healthy rats.

Ash

RockyRoad
11-02-2002, 12:11 PM
That's so great!! :D I'm sure they'll be so happy with your other ratties!!

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 03:51 PM
i'M THE PROUD MOMMA OF TWO NEW BABY GIRLS!!!

One is all white expect for on her head she has a little bit of grey teh wrpas around her neck. I'm thinking about nameing her Tundra, after our cat we lost like a month ago. The other one is all grey exept on her tummy its white. AWWW. I KNOW!!!! I can't wait to show off these little ones. I'm gonna try to find out how old they are!OMG ARE THEY CUTE!!!

My only concern is when do you think they will be old enough to be intorduced to Melony and Hope???? They aren't even half there size yet.

Ash

AHHH. Ok so I'm a little exited!

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 04:17 PM
I think Bella for the Grey one and Bree for the white one..Anyoen have any name suggestions???

Ash

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 04:41 PM
This are the other names I like and there meanings...

Bliss
Meaning: Gladness and joy

Jenna
Meaning: Arabic - A small bird

Jillian (Jilly Bean for short)
Meaning: Youthful

ChewmonkeyBC
11-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Hey,
I have segestion....
U have one named Hope so what bout named Faith?and Joy?
Good luck and Congrats on your knew baby gurls!!!

Kay:)

FcR:)

ChewmonkeyBC
11-02-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty

Bliss

I like Bliss.....

sry i didnt see these a whilie ago....

Kay

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanx...One of my girls (thie whitter one) has really bad diarhea. Anyone know why she might have it? Or what I need to do about it??

Thanx Ash

ChewmonkeyBC
11-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Thanx...One of my girls (thie whitter one) has really bad diarhea. Anyone know why she might have it?

Possibly because the change in food if her food is changed...but im not sure if it would happen that sudden.....Get well!!

Kay

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Oh no! You said diarhea!

This can be caused be a few factors. First, if the rat has been fed too many fruits or vegetables, it could lead to diarhea.

Second... she could have SDA, which in case the other rat would have it too. SDA itself is relatively harmless. However it lowers the immune system allowing other types of infections, such as MYCO to invade the body causing rapid death. It has wiped out breeding colonies in less than a week. I had a case of SDA a few months ago and lost two rats. One last an eye. SDA is very highly contagious and spreds through the air. Petstore rats are very susceptible to SDA and MYCO because they are constanlty handled by new people and caged with other rats.

Signs of SDA nclude the following. Weight loss, dehydration from diahrea, swelling of the lympnodes (chipmunk cheeks) and throat, loss of appetite, and corneal cysts. The eyes will appear dry and porethyrin stained (looks like blood). Because they eyes are so dry the rat constantly rubs them. This causes corneal abrasions and nasty infections. You will need to use Terramycin ointment three times a day to prevent the loss of an eye.

Your rats problem can also be due to stress. All new rats shouldbe quarantined for a MINIMUM of three weeks before being introduced into an existing colony. SDA is airborn and clings to the hands and clothes. If possible keep the babies seperated from the others until their quarantine period is up. If your new rat has something and you have touched the others consider them now infected also. Most rats from petstores are sick. That is why it is safe to go to a breeder.

You need to make sure your rat recieves plenty of fluid. If you can buy some pedialyte or lactated ringer solution (your parents will know what this is) and give one teasespoon full every six hours that will insure your rat will not get dehydrated. Be prepared for the worst. Most rats who suffer from diahrea do not make it. Keep your other rats safe and do not introduce them yet! Wait til quarantine is up.

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 08:21 PM
If your rattied do indeed make it the introduction should be easy. But again, make sure the babies are quarantined in a seperate room for a minimum of three weeks. It is advisable to keep them at a seperate house completely, such as a close fiends because SDA travels through the air. If you rats show any signs of SDA you need to report it to the RMFA asap. This is a very serious illness and others should be aware of it. But lets hope it is just the new home jitters.

The best time to introduce new rats is when they are babies. Rats are more likely to welcome new housemates if they are young. Females usually get along great and I have never had any problems introducing does. Bucks on the other... well that's another story. If youhave any more questions let me know. I would go further into detail about introductions but myhands are hurting!

:p
Good luck!

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Oh yes and grey rats are referred to as blues, Blues are wonderful. They are my favorite color!

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 08:57 PM
I keep forgetting the whole blue thing. LOL. Sorry.

They Cheeks are not puffy there throats are not puffy. There eyes are clear. I checked everything you told me to. I think it is the jitters, well more like hopeing. it only happens every now and then. We are going to the vets on monday. I saw her drink, and eat. They look fat. Acctually, don't tell my dad (lol) but I think they are either pregnet or over fed!! They said they didn't keep the males and female in the same cage but I think they lied. Cause they are pregnet fat and are builiding nest. I'm prepared for the worst. I never thought abotu seprate rooms, much less seprate houses. I guess they will be down stairs till there corenteen is up. The nexbies haven't touched my shirt and I always wash my hands after I touch my rats. I'm hopeing melony and hope don't get sick, if they do I will never forgive myself for this. WISH US LUCK. :(

Ash

Aspen and Misty
11-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Can the clothes I worn while touching the babies can they be in my room? Or do they need to go some where else? Also, is there any type of diet my babies are goign to need? And when there corentien is up can the be introduced to melony and hope? They are the size of a full grown mouse. Any thing else special I need to do? They haev been moved out of my room. And I removed everything that they have touched.

Ash

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Oh I hope they are not pregnant. If they are you will know soon. And contact me asap if they have babies!!! That way I can give you ome advise, hehe. Does should not be bred til the age of four months and it would be sad if they are pregnant. You said they were young still right?

If it is an infection a good round of Amoxi drops or Baytril should do it. However if they are babies DO NOT let your vet prescribe Baytril. It stunts young rats growth.

If the moms have been together a while you can leave together while they have their babies. They will actually care for eachothers babies. If they are young you will need to be prepared to find a surrogate mother just incase the does do not take care of th babies. You should check for milk bellies two hours after they are born. Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Also tetracycline might be a good idea until you can get your rat to a vet. You can give them tablets made for birds in their water bottle. I usually add two tabs for eight ounces of water. If you do this, you need to cover the bottle wth foil as tetracycline is light sensitive. It's also referred to as Ornacycline. It's a broad spectrum antibiotic. You can also buy this at feed stores.

luckies4me
11-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Can the clothes I worn while touching the babies can they be in my room? Or do they need to go some where else? Also, is there any type of diet my babies are goign to need? And when there corentien is up can the be introduced to melony and hope? They are the size of a full grown mouse. Any thing else special I need to do? They haev been moved out of my room. And I removed everything that they have touched.

Ash

For health reason all clothes worn should be laundered as soon as possible as to avoid contamination. If they are kept far away in a seperate room in the house it should be ok. Just make sure you wash your hands and change clothes before visiting with the others. Some people even shower first. It's just precautionary is all.

For feeding please refer to my article for basic feeding info:

http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/Feeding.html

We can talk about introduction after we know your babies are healthy.

Aspen and Misty
11-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Thanx Luckies4me. You've been a great help! I'm going to get the tablets today. Adn thanx for all the information.

Ash

luckies4me
11-03-2002, 01:59 PM
Your welcome, and please keepme posted on your cute little furballs. Is the rat getting any better?

Also a few pics wouldn't hurteither, lol!:D

Aspen and Misty
11-03-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't have a digital camra or a scanner :( . BUT OMG ARE THEY CUTE!!

Today they did the cutest thing today! They were walking around in there ceder and barried themselves under neath it all. It was so cute to only see there tails sticking out. I'm so in love with them. :D Melony and Hope were out today and I set Mel on the table real quick and she grabed the salt shaker and tipped it over. LOL. It wasa big mess and my mom walked in and asked what happned, I just told her I accidently knowcked it over cause she woulda been mad. Its so much fun to haev babies in the house. O I checked there cage this mornign and all the poo in there was ahrd, I think she only has runny poo when I hold her, so I must scare her.

Ash :D :D

luckies4me
11-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Cedar! I think I have told you once before that cedar is toxic to small animals....please switch them to a non toxic bedding asap! :eek:

Aspen and Misty
11-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Sorry I ment Aspen. I know you told me not to give them ceder so I don't. It's just become a habit to say because everyone calls everything (including Aspen) ceder. Sorry bout that. They are living Aspen.

I have a question about my older girls, Melony and Hope. Melony gave hope a large cut on her shoulder. Her hair hasn't grown back and there is a scab where the cut was but do you think it was just really ruff grooming or do you think it was to ruff and I need to seprate them? I hope not. They seem to like each other, but I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Ash

luckies4me
11-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Sorry I ment Aspen. I know you told me not to give them ceder so I don't. It's just become a habit to say because everyone calls everything (including Aspen) ceder. Sorry bout that. They are living Aspen.

I have a question about my older girls, Melony and Hope. Melony gave hope a large cut on her shoulder. Her hair hasn't grown back and there is a scab where the cut was but do you think it was just really ruff grooming or do you think it was to ruff and I need to seprate them? I hope not. They seem to like each other, but I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Ash

They should be just fine. All rats will argue, no matter what you do. It is their nature. They could have spats about food, space etc. It is a common normal fact of keeping rats. Rats heal from cuts and wounds fairly quickly. The fur will grow back in her next molt. Rats molt every three months so it will be soon.

Don't worry about them. It's normal, trust me. Just be glad you don't have bucks!!! :eek: They bite ears, tails and more. My tailess buck almost lost his testicles!

popcornbird
11-04-2002, 03:33 AM

Bliss

Jenna
Meaning: Arabic - A small bird

Jillian (Jilly Bean for short)
Meaning: Youthful

From my knowledge, the Arabic "Jenna" means heaven, or paradise. I don't know if it might mean a small bird too. :confused:

Aspen and Misty
11-04-2002, 05:48 AM
Popcornbird- That is what it said on a baby nameing web page. We named the white one Tundra and are considering nameing the grey one Brooke.

Can you tell by size how old they are? Cause if so I think my babies are about 19 days old. The website I'm looking at says they still need there mothers milk. Is that true and do I need to bottle feed them? Or do you think they will be fine? I know they drink out of the water bottle cause they LOVE there new fruit stuff I bought them. LOL. This is about how big they are....

luckies4me
11-04-2002, 10:53 AM
And yet another eason why you SHOULD NOT purchase rats from the petstore. No wonder the one is sick! They look only about three weeks old or less, they should be with their mommas! And I doubt that you have both females!

My kittens are kept with their mothers until they are four weeks old, males are then seperated so that they do not impregnante the mother or female siblings, does are kept with their mothers until they are at least five weeks old. Sometimes females stay with their mothers til they are 6 weeks. Those rats are way too young to have been bought! :mad:

I WOULD NOT put them with the others until you can find out for certain whether they are indeed both females. Like I said, most petstore employees cannot tell them apart and at that young an age can be easily mistaken for the opposite sex. If I were you I would go purchase a can of KMR milk replacer and offer it in a tiny dish so they can lap that up. They should be starting to eat solid food around this time though, so make sure they also have their other food. You can offer babies baby food, such as minced meet or poultry etc. If they indeed that young they will need it. Otherwise they can die.

Aspen and Misty
11-04-2002, 03:43 PM
My vet knows absolutly NOTHING about small animals :mad: . I told him that Tundra had Diarhea and he said o thats not a problem. WTH. Grrr. I'm going to look around here and see if there are any good small pet vets. I'm gonna get the substace you talked about, they will just drink it right?

Ash

luckies4me
11-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Most vets know diddly squat about rats.

They drink the antibiotic yes. It is called Tetracycline or Ornacycline, and it available as tabs for birds. You may need to buy about three packages to complete the round of antibiotics, as you are treating two rats, maybe four now.

You add two tabs to the water every day intheir water bottle, making sure you completely cover the bottle with foil so you do not ruin the medication. They should be treated for a full seven days. Even if the symptoms dissapear, they need to have seven days.

You can call your vet and see if he can prescribe some amoxi-drops or clavamox though, it's sweet and your rats will most likely like it.

Aspen and Misty
11-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
If I were you I would go purchase a can of KMR milk replacer and offer it in a tiny dish so they can lap that up. They should be starting to eat solid food around this time though, so make sure they also have their other food. You can offer babies baby food, such as minced meet or poultry etc. If they indeed that young they will need it. Otherwise they can die.

Will they drin kteh mil if I just set it in there or do they need to be bottle fed? Also if they do need bottle fed how often. I bought the milk.

Ash

ps: My rats love there new water :D (had it since yesterday)

luckies4me
11-04-2002, 06:05 PM

Will they drin kteh mil if I just set it in there or do they need to be bottle fed? Also if they do need bottle fed how often. I bought the milk.

Ash

ps: My rats love there new water :D (had it since yesterday)

You can offer the milk in a small shallow dish or thier food bowl. They will drink it on their own. There is no need to bottle feed them. Have you seen them eat solid food?

Also, ,what new water?

Aspen and Misty
11-05-2002, 11:37 AM
tetracycline is there new water. They says it taste so good. LOL. They drink alot of it. Which is good, the tablets smell like fruit. They also are just loving there milk. They lap it up so quickly.

Ash

luckies4me
11-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear you got the anitibitotics! Yes ratties love the stuff. it is fruit flavored so it goes pretty fast. It's good to hear they are drinking it, that insures they are getting what they need. Did you make sure to cover the water bottle with foil?

I knew they would like the milk. They were probably craving it. Itis so sad to see people just breed for profit. :(

So how are the babies doing?

Aspen and Misty
11-05-2002, 06:29 PM
Ypu.. I covered it with foil :D . The babies are doing great! I named them Tundra and Brook. I have to refill there milk like every 4 or so hours

Ash

Desert Arabian
11-05-2002, 07:04 PM
OMG....... that little ratty is *so* adorable! When I read your post, and you said she/he is the size of a full grown mouse... my jaw dropped! That is *way* too small for a rat to be purchased. You probably saved the little guys life...

Aspen and Misty
11-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I atleast like to think I saved all my animals lives. Most rats go to snakes, so they are kinda givin. I love them to pieces. They are sooo cute. And so tiny, hard to hold they are so tiny and hyper :D . What cuties!

Ash

Aspen and Misty
11-07-2002, 11:06 AM
Seems we have run out of milk here. Which means I have to make my sister go out and buy me some more. :D When should they be taken off of the milk? My vet told me to cut up lab blocks into tiny pieces and give them to them. They seem to be eating them, I saw Brook eat one but I'm not sure about Tundra. She probly is I just don't see her. They are very friendly they love to come out when my hand is in the cage and turn it all ways to see if I brought them something good!!

O and you will never guess what!!!!! My older girls never have exepted food from my hand till last night! I handed them a Yogurt treat and they took it from my hands with there mouths! I was so surprised!!!

Ash :D

luckies4me
11-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Glad to see they like the milk. I would offer them baby food until they are just a tad older, rather than lab blocks. They also need to have some fresh veggies and fruits, but not too much as it can cause diahrea.

yes, ratties love yogurt drops! :D Just be careful offering rats things through the bars, as this can turn them into biters because everytime you stick your finger through they will think that it's a tasty treat. Just a warning, lol.

The locks do not need tobe cut up, the babies are perfectly adapted at knawing and even though they are young they have the strenth to get through a cube. I would though, give them either some baby food or some cooked hamburger/chicken. Thelove chicken bones/pork chop bones. They do not choke like dogs because rats do not inhale their food, they chew through it. They need a lot of protein as babies. It's a good idea to get them used to different foods now when they are young. Another good thing for rats is pasta. Mine are offered pasta a few times a week. Innova dog kibble or Nutro Natural choice light is better than lab blocks, although they should still be offered lab blocks. The key is variety.

You can also offer them some Nutrical once a week. You canet Nutrical through your vet or at petstores. :)

luckies4me
11-07-2002, 11:31 AM
I would offer them the milk for at least one more week. Then they should be eating plenty of regular food and you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

luckies4me
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Aspen and Misty,

In response to your message, your mailbox is full:

What you are referring to is called porypherin, it's a substance that is secreted when an animal is sick. Although it looks like blood it isn't. She is still on the antibiotics right? If one is sick, then they both are, or possible all four. I would get her into the vet asap for a dose of Amoxicillan. Even though she wipes it off it will come back as long as she is sick, or stressed out.

Aspen and Misty
11-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Sorry about that. Thank you, I will talk to my mom and get in touch with a vet tomrrow.

Ash

Aspen and Misty
11-07-2002, 05:59 PM
There lets hope I can recieve messeges again. That explains alot. LOL. :D

Ash