PDA

View Full Version : Why do veterinarians insist...

moosmom
03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
on making Ammoxi in BUBBLEGUM flavor??? Don't these @$$hats know cats don't like bubblegum flavor????? Fish flavor...THEY LIKE FISH!!!!! Maya Linn, who is on the stuff in an effort to curb her chronic sneezing, hates it!!

This morning, the former Cat Show Queen turned couch potato, jumped up on the bed, got in my face, meowed very loudly to let me know SHE was hungry, then blew a HUGE loogie in my face. Not a way to make a good impression.

Tell me again WHY I love Meezers so much??? Her meow is like nails on a chalkboard! Gotta love her though!!

pomtzu
03-25-2011, 07:35 AM
The vets don't make it - the pharmaceutical companies do. The vets only purchase what is available to them.

Anikaca77
03-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I think my Apollo as given that back when he was a baby and he was such a good boy about taking that and he loved it, if I am thinking of the right thing, it was pink for sure but I don't know if it was the type or not but it sure was pink.

Good luck,
Melissa

happylabs
03-25-2011, 09:02 AM
That is a very good question. I never thought about it before but, yes, pink bubblegum flavor is what I always got stuck giving cats in the past. Now wonder they hate it so much!

catmandu
03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I have wondered that myself, a beef or fish flavor would seem to be called for!!
These are Cats, not children!!!:cool::cool::cool:

happylabs
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I have wondered that myself, a beef or fish flavor would seem to be called for!!
These are Cats, not children!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Although I treat mine like children. :D :love:

catmandu
03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I know what you mean happylabs, My Cats are my youngsters too:love::love::love:

moosmom
03-25-2011, 09:49 AM
These cats ARE my babies!!!! They eat before I do! Maya is taking it like a trooper. I see a small difference and since I have a BIG bottle of it, I'm going to up the dose to two times a day.

MoonandBean
03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah...it's "human form" for children dosed for animals. Maybe you could add some tuna juice to it...wonder how that would taste....ewww....

Sniff....I just had a phred memory :) (Clam juice...hee hee)

pomtzu
03-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah...it's "human form" for children dosed for animals. Maybe you could add some tuna juice to it...wonder how that would taste....ewww....

Sniff....I just had a phred memory :) (Clam juice...hee hee)

Ewww is right - fish flavored bubble gum. Disgusting!!! :eek:

My furkids love the bubble gum flavor. Of course - they're dogs tho and don't have the finicky tastes that cats do. Sparky used to root for "kitty snacks" in the litter box! :mad: Now THAT'S disgusting!

moosmom
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Ewww is right - fish flavored bubble gum. Disgusting!!! I was JUST thinking the same thing!!!

Karen
03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
People pay for it, not cats, so it is marketed to human noses! The same goes for foods - we never, for example, see "mouse-flavored" cat food ... or chipmunk or squirrel flavored ... or "rotted roadkill" flavor for dogs ...

katladyd
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
I generally end up wearing the stuff. I get more on me than in the cat! Mac and Ming have spitting powers that have to be seen to be believed. I like the idea of fish flavor. THAT would probably not end up in my face!:rolleyes:

dehlers43
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Hmm. maybe there is a non-flavored version...I'd ask the vet or even your local pharmacist. For flavoring I would add flavored Forta Flora. My kitties love that stuff and it's good for them too!

pomtzu
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Donna..

Did you ever consider getting the tablets? Pulverize them into a powder and dissolve in a little water, then put that in a med syringe and squirt into the mouth? I had to do that once with Myndi, and it worked out well.

Don't know if it would taste even worse tho than bubble gum. :confused:

cassiesmom
03-25-2011, 03:09 PM
on making amoxi in BUBBLEGUM flavor??? Don't these @$$hats know cats don't like bubblegum flavor????? Fish flavor...THEY LIKE FISH!!!!! Maya Linn, who is on the stuff in an effort to curb her chronic sneezing, hates it!!

This morning, the former Cat Show Queen turned couch potato, jumped up on the bed, got in my face, meowed very loudly to let me know SHE was hungry, then blew a HUGE loogie in my face. Not a way to make a good impression.

Tell me again WHY I love Meezers so much??? Her meow is like nails on a chalkboard! Gotta love her though!!

Moosmom, I'm laughing as I type this. Good morning, meowmie!

You might be onto something here - pharmaceuticals in flavors appealing to cats. When you make your first zillion dollars I'll say I knew you when...

columbine
03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
See if you can get your vet to phone the prescription in (beyond the first few doses needed immediately) to Wedgewood (http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/). They can compound it in a fish or chicken flavor, and some medicines can even be dispensed in a felt-tip pen that you wipe inside the cat's ear. It's been a lifesaver for me and Smudge, the Original Unpillable Cat!

Love, Columbine

krazyaboutkatz
03-26-2011, 01:17 AM
I've always found that giving cats liquid medicine is very difficult no matter what it tastes like. When my RB pepper needed some medicine, I had it compouded into chicken flavor and he still hated it.:(

I think that the best product for pills is the pill pocket. I now get pill form instead of liquid for meds if I can and I put the pills into part of a chicken flavored pill pocket. Storm takes 2.5mg of pred in the morning which is half of a pill and he takes 5mg of pepcid in the evening which is also half a pill. I just put them in pill pockets and he thinks he's getting a treat. Without these it would very hard for me to give him his meds. Good luck.:)