PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring kids overseas...question...

Catty1
03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Not sure if I am cynical, skeptical, or if this is just the way things are.

Many years ago my sister invited me to co-sponsor a young girl in India. I agreed, and after my sister became sicker and said she was stopping her sponsorship, I called the organization and took over the whole thing.

It is a US org, so no tax deductions, but I was happy to do it. Pictures don't lie, and I got one per year.

When this girl reached about 15 years of age, I received a letter from the org that the family had moved and none of the field workers had been able to locate them. The letter said that in such communities families often move when work becomes available. With that letter came information on another child that needed sponsoring, and sad though I was, I sponsored this new girl for a number of years.

Lately she had finished a tailoring course, as the academic style didn't suit her well. The course was sponsored by the org and she was looking for work.

Today I got a letter with a new picture of her - she looks like a beautiful confident and serene young woman. Wow!

Today I also got a separate letter about HER family moving and the workers can't trace them and often the families in such communities move when there is work. There is a wonderful new girl to sponsor.

Okay, it's only twice in about 15 years...but am I being overly suspicious about the 'moving-can't-find' story? Likely not....I just wanted your input.

Thanks.:)

pomtzu
03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I've never been involved in any child sponsor programs, but what you say doesn't seem that out of line - IMO. Why don't you just do a check on the organization and see what you can dig up on them and make sure that they are 100% legit. I'm always seeing an ad on t.v. for one of them, but I can't think of the name of it to save my soul. :(

ETA:
Got it now - it's:

Child Fund Intl - formerly Christian Children's Fund

Craftlady
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm always seeing an ad on t.v. for one of them, but I can't think of the name of it to save my soul. :(

www.worldvision.org
Very good organization. Family Christian Book Stores (national store) has sponsorships for children in their stores.
You can also get information on worldvision website.

lvpets2002
03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
:confused: Sounds a little fishy to me too.. I am sorry but I just get into stuff like this due to we have plenty of people in the USA that need help..

Catty1
03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
The organization in question is Children International. I mention that now because they do have a program where a person can sponsor a child in the USA.

Sadly nothing for Canada yet, even in Canadian organizations like that.

Grace
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Maybe not the exact thing you have been doing, but Google Canadian organizations for disadvantaged children and see what you come up with. A cursory glance showed lots of venues for helping kids.

wombat2u2004
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Children International (Oct 2007- Sept 2008)
www.Children.org
Jim Cook CEO: Salary $357,097 + $61'183 + $17'838 = $436'183

Little wonder they want to keep you as a subscriber ;)

Karen
03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
You could also do something more local and hands-on - like Big Brother/Big Sister, where you mentor a specific child, meet her in person, etc., http://www.bbbsedmonton.org/ is one in Alberta.

Catty1
03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Wom, that's not a lot....many professional sports players make more than that. ;) People do need to be paid - like I say, the pictures tell the story.

Karen, that Big Brothers/Sisters is wonderful - my Dad was a Big Brother twice. I just can't see myself doing it.

I will carry on with this for a bit - it just seemed odd...but twice in 15 years, maybe.

wombat2u2004
03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Wom, that's not a lot....many professional sports players make more than that. ;) People do need to be paid - like I say, the pictures tell the story.

I agree people need to be paid, but if he wants that much money, maybe he should go work for a bank. This is a charity for goodness sakes.
I give money and goods all the time to local charities, you know the kind, all the staff are unpaid volunteers, the office is loaned to them free of charge from the local council. I am also a volunteer, for three organisations, and I get not one cent.
I wonder what percentage of work I do in relation to your outfits CEO. I betcha it's not much difference.
No mate, I can't agree with the salary that these guys get, there is no way. That money he gets should be spent on the program.
Anyway.....arn't there needy people in your country ??? Why wouldn't you as a Canadian support your local charities fully ???

wombat2u2004
03-25-2011, 06:40 AM
like I say, the pictures tell the story.

Well yeah.....I wonder how much they are paying their advertising company ;)

moosmom
03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
I trust NO ONE in situations like that. WAAAAY too many scams out there. And a red flag would have definitely gone up after the second "moved for work" excuse.

Freedom
03-25-2011, 08:01 AM
You can always check Charity Navigator for info on a charitable organization. If 80% of their $ go to the programs they run, then it is usually a great charity.

Having been involved with charitable orgs. for 25 years, I can tell you the lager ones do pay staff, much like corporations do. They HAVE to! They need skilled folks to manage a national / international business. So, just knowing what the CEO makes is NOT telling you a thing.

The large ones (like American Red Cross) truly are huge corporations, with overhead, legal issues, tax information reports, state and federal reports, and all sorts of infrastructure necessary to run such a large business. And make no mistake, a charity IS a business! It is a not for profit business, but it IS a business. Staff does work at it full time, and to have qualified folks running such a thing, you need to be competitive in your salaries.

wombat2u2004
03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Staff does work at it full time, and to have qualified folks running such a thing, you need to be competitive in your salaries.

Like half a mil a year ???? It's nice for the CEO to hand out bread crusts to the starving kids and then go home to watch his little girl feed her new pony apples.
I for one would not sleep at night, but I'm sure the CEO does...with a smile on his face to. ;)

Catty1
03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_International

Children International began in 1936[6] as Holy Land Christian Mission. Initially, it focused on assisting children with physical handicaps and single mothers.[7] However, in 1980, the organization responded to the expansion of extreme poverty by dropping its religious affiliation, changing its name to Children International, and becoming a secular NGO.

That same year, the organization opened its first centers in India, the Philippines and Guatemala.[8] Since 1980, the number of sponsored children has grown from 2,300 to 335,000.

As of 2010, the organization continues to recruit sponsors through its website, television ad campaigns, and hiring grassroots fundraising firm Dialogue Direct.[9] It has seventeen active centers in eleven countries,[10] with a high fundraising efficiency of eighty-one cents to the dollar.

Reception

* In 2009, Consumers Digest named CI one of their "top-rated charities." [17]
* Charity Navigator gives Children International 3/4 stars.[18]
* The Better Business Bureau has given CI accredited status, meaning that it "meets all 20 Standards for Charity Accountability and is a Seal Holder."[19]
* Children International is part of the Combined Federal Campaign, which promotes charitable giving among government workers in the United States. Its number is 12078.[20]

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/child-sponsorship/children-international-in-kansas-city-mo-1815

Governance

Chief Executive : James R. Cook, President and CEO
Compensation*:
$453,998

Chair of the Board: Dean Oskvig
Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation:

Board Size: 7

Paid Staff Size: 217

*October 1, 2008 - September 30, 2009 compensation includes annual salary and, if applicable, benefit plans, expense accounts, and other allowances.

Programs: 80% Fund Raising: 13% Administrative: 7%

Total income $146,316,901
Program expenses $114,949,143
Fund raising expenses 18,058,888
Administrative expenses 9,687,948

Total expenses $142,695,979
Income in Excess of Expenses 3,620,922
Beginning net assets 37,771,103
Other Changes in Net Assets (401,688)
Ending net assets 40,990,337
Total liabilities 5,151,381
Total assets $46,141,718

Note 1: In the above financial section, other changes in net assets (-$401,688) represents the sum of net realized endowment losses, increase in unrealized gain on investment, increase in actuarial liability for gift annuities, and increase in value of deliverable and non-deliverable forward contracts.

Note 2: For the year ended September 30, 2009, CI had in-kind income in the amount of $52,846,856 which includes educational supplies ($46,994,477), clothing and other ($4,825,271), and medical supplies ($1,027,108).