PDA

View Full Version : Dog survives a MONTH in burned-out house!

columbine
03-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Link with video (http://www.boston.com/community/pets/articles/2011/03/23/dog_found_alive_in_rubble_month_after_fire)

Dog found alive in rubble, month after fire
Hyde Park owner had given up hope
By Brian R. Ballou
Globe Staff / March 23, 2011

Terisa Acevedo was crying tears of joy.

Nearly a month after her dog Lola disappeared in a fire that destroyed her home, she found the pet alive Monday among the ashes of her burned-out and boarded-up house in Hyde Park.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw her after all that time,’’ said Acevedo, standing outside the blackened house on River Street. “I hugged Lola in my arms, and I cried and cried. I cried more than I did when I was standing in front of my house watching it burn down.’’

Acevedo, 24, said she all but gave up hope in recent days that her long-haired miniature Dachshund had made it through the Feb. 23 fire. Acevedo was not at home when it started, and after the fire was put out, police searched the house using K-9 units but found no sign of the year-old Lola.

Acevedo assumed her dog had escaped the blaze and was wandering the neighborhood. In the days after the fire, Acevedo, an EMT and Northeastern University student, posted flyers on telephone poles, stuffed them in mailboxes, visited animal shelters, and walked the Boston neighborhood hoping to find her dog. But as the days turned into weeks, she began to think Lola had perished.

Staying with relatives, Acevedo received a call Monday from her former landlord that the alarm was blaring on the second vehicle she has kept in the driveway of her former house.

Acevedo went to shut off the alarm, and as she stood in front of the house and surveyed the devastation, she heard scratching inside the boarded-up front door.

Acevedo yelled out Lola’s name, and with the help of friends, tore the plywood off the entrance. Lola retreated into the blackened interior, then responded to Acevedo’s call. Wearing a pink collar and appearing gaunt but otherwise uninjured, she ran into Acevedo’s arms.

“I can’t explain what it was like to see her again,’’ Acevedo said. “I just can’t put it into words.’’

Acevedo took Lola to the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Jamaica Plain. Acevedo’s mother, Tracey Bills, said the discovery rejuvenated the dog owner. “My daughter went through so much hurt after that fire,’’ she said. “So when she called me, crying that she had found Lola, it was a happy ending.’’

Lola apparently found sustenance in the house. The hospital staff said the contents of her stomach showed that Lola had recently eaten. Acevedo speculated that Lola may have eaten cat food left by residents of the other half of the duplex, which was also gutted by the fire.

Steve MacDonald, spokesman for Boston Fire Department, said the two-alarm fire was caused by an electrical short circuit. The blaze caused an estimated $350,00 in damage, and there were no major injuries. Lola has no symptoms of smoke inhalation, hospital officials said.

“We’re certainly hopeful that she’s going to make a full recovery,’’ said Anya Gambino, an emergency room doctor at Angell. “It’s something I’ve never seen before.

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

pitc9
03-23-2011, 08:59 AM
WOW!! What a wonderful story!!!

pomtzu
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Now that's the kind of story about missing pets that I love to hear. Doing a happy dance......:)

Randi
03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
What an amazing story. I'm so glad the dog was rescued. :)

Taz_Zoee
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
That is amazing!! It brings tears to my eyes. I can imagine how the owner felt. Probably the same way I felt when I found Paizly who had spent the night outside a couple years ago. :D :D I also cried lots of tears of joy.

lvpets2002
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
:( Awee poor baby survived all of the fire & the time in the house.. Great Happy Ending for this wittle baby & her owner.. LES

gini
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Can't you just feel the owner's joy? What a lovely story - thank you!

Asiel
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
How amazing - and for once it ends on a happy note.

K9karen
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
I can feel Terisa's happiness! OMG! What an awesome, incredible, miracle story!

SWHouston
03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Stories like this are SO good to hear of, I can only imagine the joy of the owner, when she found her dog. Definitely brought a tear to my eye !
I can't help but think of the terror the animal experienced, finding it's self
in an environment like that.

This only reinforces my viewpoint that every home should have a Doggy Door installed, where not only for convenience, but having a way for one's animals to exit the house, in case of emergencies like this. I know that a Door is not an option for all, but if you can, DO IT !

The outcome of this could have been very tragic.

Karen
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
A doggie door in this case would not have been practical, Hyde Park is a very densely populated part of Boston, and the streets are packed with cars. Animals also do tend, sometimes, to seek safety in familiar places, rather than running from a fire, maybe she found a good "hiding spot," and after all, they tell you the air closest to the ground is your best bet - so being a Miniature Dachshund likely helped save her life - she was already down on the "clearest air" level!