PDA

View Full Version : I'm such a bad meowmie!!!

moosmom
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I was clipping Spikerdude's nails, and TRYING so gently to also clip his cutaneous nails (they grow out from his pads). Well, I clipped one too close and it started to bleed. Fortunately, I had a steptic pencil and Kleenex on hand to stop it. Poor little boo-boo's got a boo-boo. I plopped down a handful of the premo catnip stash to take his mind off his pain.

I think I'm going to let the vet deal with the cutaneous ones. I hate it when I accidentally hurt one of my furbabies!!

catnapper
03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I alwasy feel awful when I clip the vein. They look so startled that you hurt them, and you feel like you've broken their trust.

katladyd
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I have no skill at nail clipping. My vet does this as needed for my two. Don't feel guilty, you were just trying to do a good thing and I'm sure the nip made everything all right.:D

Karen
03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
We were so, so so lucky - Miss Hoppy decided she'd cut her own nails, and did so for most of her life. I'd rather do the nails on a big ol' dog any day than a kitty or a bunny, their feet are so little!

Taz_Zoee
03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I keep the kitties nails clipped, with Bruce's help. I could do Taz's all by myself. He was sooo good about it.
But the dogs....no way! They go the groomer for that. Especially Taggart with his dew claws. Theirs are thicker and I just get scared. I did Tagg's once and he bled all over. I'm pretty sure I cried about it too. That's when I decided...nope, never again. I'd rather pay someone.

Donna you are faaaarrrr from a bad meowmie!! You are WONDERFUL!! :D

moosmom
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
The "cutaneous" nails aren't actually claws. They are callouses that grow from the pad. The vet showed me how to do it and said to get as close as possible to the pad. He was such a good boy, sat very still while I clipped. I knew as soon as I clipped it that I hurt him. I'd rather cut off my head than hurt any of my babies.

He's very forgiving. I laid on the bed with him kissing him all over just now, while he purred away.

Medusa
03-23-2011, 06:27 AM
My RB Peeka had a cutaneous growth and, believe it or not, I could just gently tug on it and it would come right off. Of course, another one grew in its place, though. Thankfully, she's the only one I had to do that with. Don't feel bad, Donna. We've all been there. I almost always clip Creamsicle's claws too close b/c she's so spastic from her CH. She hisses at me and hides from me for a few minutes but she gets over it.

Laura's Babies
03-24-2011, 08:19 AM
You are never a bad Mommie, we all just make mistakes from time to time.... Just yesterday I did something that made me feel so terribly bad..... I was sitting in the chair eating. Samantha on one side trying to get in my plate, Caramella on the other side doing the same.. I was taking a paper towel and flopping it in their face telling them "NO!" and when I went back to flop in in Samantha's face again, she had moved and I ended up hitting her in her jaw!!! :eek: OH! :eek: I could have cried, I felt SO bad, poor baby was so stunned and her feeling so hurt that she wouldn't come near me for a long time.. I have never lifted a hand to her in anger and she knows it but her feelings were just SO hurt!!

catmandu
03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Michael used to have that problem with the claw digging into his paw.
I felt bad when I saw Michael like that. He never complained or said ouch, so I never knew he had a sore paw.
You are not a bad Meeowmie as Our Cats hide pain so well.:cool::cool::cool:

katladyd
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
You cared enough to try to clip it. That's a GOOD meowmie!