PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray player blues (long, winding rant LOL)

aTailOf2Kitties
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I miss my Blu-ray player. I wonder if I'll ever see it again. Why??? Read on...
First a little background. I have a Samsung Blu ray that is web connected (Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, etc...) I think I got it for Christmas 2009, so I've had it just over a year.

A few weeks ago I watched a DVD. It played fine, as always. When I finished my movie, I removed the disc and closed the tray. The thing went back to the menu screen like it's supposed to. Then it popped up a little window saying an update/upgrade was available for the programming, and asked if I wanted to download. I said "yes". It's done this before, kinda like when your computer wants to update and all that jazz. It started downloading and froze dead. Never even finished the download. I'm like oh well, I didn't get my upgrade but since it worked fine, I'll just deal with the older stuff. I turned it off. Next day turned it back on. Still frozen. I get the background for the menu screen, but no writing. Pretty much like the "blue screen of death" on your PC. No matter what I do it's frozen. My boyfriend starts having a cow about how now we're gonna have to buy a new Blu-Ray and he doesn't wanna spend the money. I told him to STFU, it was my player and frankly we can live without it for a little while, this is not critical, chill out. I convince him to call the Samsung help line and see if they can give us some input on whether or not it's toast. We told them how their programming killed it and the whole story...blah blah blah. They said it was covered under some sort of warranty and emailed us a shipping label to send it in. So, we sent it. No word back until about a week ago. They called and wanted money to fix it. So once again we told them the whole story and how they said they would fix it for free since their upgrade killed it. Then, that lady said she'd talk to a supervisor and get back with us. No word since then.

Long story short, as far as I'm concerned Samsung is pretty much holding my BluRay for ransom now. Do you think I'll ever get it back? Seriously if I thought it was gonna be this much of a hassle, I'd have chunked it and just bought another one. Anyone else had problems with Samsung? I liked my player, but wondering if I need to give up on this one and go with another brand next time.

Karen
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Next time you call, write down the name of every person you talk to, and if that person cannot help, ask for his or her supervisor. Hopefully they didn't send it to Japan for repair ...

Laura's Babies
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd start posting complaints all over the internet and on every Samsung sight I could find.. Go places where you can write reviews on them and tell your story about what happened. Create enough stink all over the internet for them to notice how much damage one dis satisfied customer can do and they will pay attention..

kokopup
03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I have a Samsung Blu-ray Player that I have had no problems with so far. I will be sure and say no if it ask to update.:D

aTailOf2Kitties
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
boyfriend contacted them again this morning and they said it was fixed and shipping out today. We'll see if it arrives C.O.D. or not :D