PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection help

catnapper
03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
My husband's computer bit the dust the other day. We got him a new one and I'm just now getting around to setting it up. I know my password to log onto the wireless network. It accepts it as the right password for the network. But it still I can not get online. I'm about to toss the new computer out the window! Help!

It keeps asking me to verify the security key -- how do I do that?
I get to a screen where I type in my network password. It tells me if I type the wrong password in, so I know the password is correct. It tells me what type of incryption it is and then there is a pull-down for Key Index (1-4)

It also says that Wireless Network connection does not have a valid IP Configuration.

Now, i'm on my laptop, right next to his. I know I'm on the right network and right incryption type. What else am I doing wrong?

And next week's fun.... putting in a new router. Maybe you should give me hints for that one now :rolleyes:

Grace
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Call the place you bought from and have them walk you through the process. Tell them it's that, or you'll have to return it for a refund :)

Catty1
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Do you have the install CD for your present router? If so, run that on the new computer. It doesn't know the IP - the router does - and the router is not in the new pooter.:)

If not, get the router model number and do a Google search on the make and model installation.

kokopup
03-17-2011, 10:21 AM
It appears that you have not actually logged onto your network. The Key it is asking for is the wireless network key that is on a tag on your router. It is expecting either a WPA or WEP encryption key to be entered. Unless you have changed it by logging into your router then look on the router get the key
number. Don't worry about the Key index. Also the router is set up on a given channel. Unless your computer is setup to use any channel then you need to log into your router and find out what channel it is transmitting on or setup your computer to work on any channel. To log into the router use the IP address on the same tag that the encryption key is on. This will be like "Https://192.1.255.1 ". This is the login then you enter the encryption key as the password to log onto the router. Good luck