PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

happylabs
03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Anyone here every get vertigo? I woke up yesterday with a bad case, spinning head, nausea, fatigue. I haven't had this for many years. My mom gets it regularly. I had a friend go to the pharmacy and get me some Meclizine which is what the doc prescribes.

Today I am just slightly woozy, was able to eat some scrambled eggs and drink some diet 7up.

I see there are some homeopathic cures online.

If you get Vertigo, how do you treat it and what works best for you?

moosmom
03-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I've had Vertigo. It's not fun.

chocolatepuppy
03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I am battling Vertigo for the first time. Out of nowhere I've had two spinning spells, a week apart. No other symptoms. Went to my Dr. and he is sending me for an MRI of my brain as he feels I may have Meniere's Disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001721/
I have anxiety problems and take meds and now can't tell what is making me so ill, the Vertigo, the anxiety or the meds for the Vertigo.:confused:
Those that know me feel the whole thing is anxiety, even the spinning spells, although my Dr. said anxiety can't cause that. Just a few weeks ago I was perfectly healthy, now I feel so defeated.:(

Bonny
03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Hubby gets vertigo. There is the epley maneuver. You rapidly lay down on your back with your head hanging over the edge of your bed. You turn your head to the side of the affected ear & you can also look at the pupils in your eyes & tell which side is affected. The pupil will be dilating in the eye on the affected side.
You keep your head turned a good half minute so the ear is parallel to the floor & then turn your head rapidly to the other side. What your trying to do is get the floaters in the inner ear normally distributed. Then spend the next 24 hours in a semi right position sleeping up right & no bending over to pick anything up or quick turning of the head. It has worked for hubby sometimes but then there are times he had to go in to the therapist.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I get this from time to time - dizzy, lightheaded, nausea, fatigue, sweating, disoriented - but mine seems to be related to a drop in blood sugar, which is easy to remedy. My father had Meniere's disease later in life, and it affected his hearing as well as his balance.

If I were you, I would definitely consult your doctor about it, to see just what is causing it and how to correct/manage it. You don't need to be hit with a dizzy spell while driving your car - NOT GOOD! :eek:

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Just another thought - have you had your blood checked lately? If you are anemic, that would account for the fatigue and lightheadedness and the spinning head. I'm going thru that right now, and have to have 5 weeks of i.v. iron infusion (1 per week) to bring my levels back up. It's 2 down and 3 to go - and I'm still waiting to see results! :p

K9karen
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Ugh. I get it from time to time. Go to bed fine, then wake up sick as can be. I keep a small bowl by my bed from that time on. I even crashed into a wall on the way to the bathroom. it sucks! I t took almost 24 hours to go away. Hope you get over yours and feel better soon

happylabs
03-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Thanks all. It isn't blood pressure or anything else. It is definitely vertigo/inner ear issue. I just had my annual check up and BP is fine and bloodwork was excellent since I have been doing low carb. I am feeling better today. The spinning seems to be gone for the most part. The Meclizine really knocks me out so it takes about a half a day to recuperate from the medicine as well.

Pinot's Mom
03-14-2011, 07:46 AM
I've had vertigo but not for some time. It was AWFUL. I was on no meds at the time, and was otherwise perfectly healthy, so they couldn't figure it out. I had weeks of hanging on to the walls when I walked, I couldn't concentrate on anything. I tried the drug; it made things worse. I went to therapy; not much difference. Then, one day, it left me as suddenly as it came. Weird.

Good luck with treatment; I hope either something works quickly, or it goes away quickly. Laura (Laura's Babies on PT) has had quite a time with dizziness.

Catty1
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
There is a type of physio therapy for positional vertigo that worked wonderfully for my mom and a neighbour's friend in Ontario - Blaser's Physiotherapy. Ask your doc if there is a practitioner in your area.

http://www.blasersphysiotherapy.com/category/section/subpage/vertigo.html

Suki Wingy
03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I went to a convention in LA last month and when I landed I had the worst vertigo. I had never experienced it so I didn't know what was happening. I could barely stand up but that really didn't stop me because it was the convention I was looking forward to for months, there were people I hadn't seen in forever or ever in real life (just talked to online) so basically I just took some Excedrin since that's what I had and fought through it. Luckily it was almost gone by the first day of the con.

Laura's Babies
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
It has stolen my life from me!